Proposal: PIT-NJD

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Why would you want him is my question?

Just to be 8 deep on the backend for the playoffs. Idk when Maatta will be back.

There’s some familiarity with Lovejoy, he won a Cup here, and he’s an RHD. Makes it so whenever anyone goes down the Pens don’t have to play any Left Shot-Left Shot pairings.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Lovejoy will get more than a 7th.

Think 3rd or 4th round pick. Devils can retain salary if need be to get the better pick.

Eh, I doubt anyone gives up a top 100 pick. 4th maybe, but I’d think the Devils send a 6th or something back in that case.

Pens don’t have a 5th or 6th this year, I’d do a 2020 5th rounder instead though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’d offer Matthew Benning for the 5th in 2020. 24yrs, RD, physical 6/7 dman

Prefer Lovejoy but if the Devils didn’t bite- done.

There’s only, what, like 3 or 4 rental RHDs realistically available this year?

I tend to agree that LJ will get closer to a 3rd.

Fair enough, I guess no deal then. Just not too interested in giving up much of anything for a 6-8D depth rental.

Maybe I’d send Buffalo’s 4th if NJ wanted to send a 5th back, but idk if y’all find that too appealing. It’s just that Lovejoy or any other rental depth D isn’t a need we HAVE to fill if that makes sense.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Prefer Lovejoy but if the Devils didn’t bite- done.

Fair enough, I guess no deal then. Just not too interested in giving up much of anything for a 6-8D depth rental.

Maybe I’d send Buffalo’s 4th if NJ wanted to send a 5th back, but idk if y’all find that too appealing. It’s just that Lovejoy or any other rental depth D isn’t a need we HAVE to fill if that makes sense.

Lovejoy has been a stand-up guy in New Jersey, praised the organization and how much he enjoys playing for the Devils.

I doubt Shero would turn around and spit in his face by trading him to upgrade on a low-round pick.

It doesn’t sound like there’s a deal to be made here.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Lovejoy has been a stand-up guy in New Jersey, praised the organization and how much he enjoys playing for the Devils.

I doubt Shero would turn around and spit in his face by trading him to upgrade on a low-round pick.

I don't think the players particularly care what they were traded for.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
I think some devils fans on here are over valuing him a little. Honestly I see a 4th or 5th. More than a 7th less than a 3rd though

Reactions: MakoSlade

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think some devils fans on here are over valuing him a little. Honestly I see a 4th or 5th. More than a 7th less than a 3rd though

If you look at the RHD depth this deadline, it’s incredibly weak. Lovejoy and McQuaid are actually at the top of the list. I suppose you can clump Polak with that group, but will Dallas be selling?

After that group, you downgrade significantly to guys like Luke Schenn and Nick Jensen.

Purely speaking from a supply and demand standpoint, you have to think Lovejoy’s return will be at least a little inflated.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Eh, I doubt anyone gives up a top 100 pick. 4th maybe, but I’d think the Devils send a 6th or something back in that case.

Pens don’t have a 5th or 6th this year, I’d do a 2020 5th rounder instead though.

I tend to agree, but I think Shero just keeps Lovejoy in that case. He doesn’t seem to want to move from recent interviews, and my guess is Ray will accommodate that if those are the best offers available.

Just because the market is thin, doesn’t mean teams are going to hand out top 100 picks for a locker room guy that plays third pairing minutes.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Do Devils fans think they'll be re-signing Lovejoy?

Logic says no, but given his history with Shero and how he recently stated in an interview how much he loves the area for him and his family, I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back.

He's also someone who doesn't mind being the team guy, so if he was asked to take a step back and be the spare defender or locker room guy for the sake of the team, he'd gladly do it.

Not saying I want this to happen, but it wouldn't come as a surprise to me either.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
If you look at the RHD depth this deadline, it’s incredibly weak. Lovejoy and McQuaid are actually at the top of the list. I suppose you can clump Polak with that group, but will Dallas be selling?

After that group, you downgrade significantly to guys like Luke Schenn and Nick Jensen.

Purely speaking from a supply and demand standpoint, you have to think Lovejoy’s return will be at least a little inflated.
Nick Jensen is a better player than Lovejoy and McQuaid. He has been a steady 2nd pairing dman in the Red Wings this season, and his contract is ridiculously low ($ 0,8125 million). I just read that his value is going to be a 2nd or something like that.

However, I agree that Shero can get a 3rd or a 4th for Lovejoy.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016

You may be right on the value. But I don't think trading him to Pitt would be a "spit in the face." Guy has already been traded for by Pittsburgh, has a history with the players, and they signed him as an undrafted free agent.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Lovejoy leads the Devils in goals against if I remember correctly. I'm sure another team or two might be in for a RD for a 3rd or 4th. Devils'll beat that drum anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad