Proposal: PIT/LAK Defenseman Swap

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Olli Maatta for Alec Martinez

Pittsburgh gets a better skating PMD with a similar contract.

LA gets a good, young defenseman with offensive potential.

Who says no?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Really not a good idea. Martinez is not that much better a player than Maatta, if at all. And Pitt should not be trading for older players. As Crosby and Malkin exit their primes we need to surround them with young talent

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I don't see a fit on either side.

How does this work for either?
Pittsburgh needs another PMD who can skate well. Maatta is one of those things, and you can guess which one. He's starting to hurt the team because we can't move the puck as well as past years(with Daley).

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
lol La says no He might be the kings 3rd best defenseman but last night showed me he is very importanted to the kings. He played over 32 mins of the game when Forbort and Muzzin both went down. He played pp and a huge 4 52 secs on the pk I also think Jazz hands scored the most important goal in team history the ot stanley cup goal, He is signed cheap for while La says no easily

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Oh also the kings are knee deep in young defensive prospects We have Forbort and Folin around the same ability We have LaDue and Gravel nhl ready looking for a spot. We just sign a college ufa in Brickley We also have Clague coming So if Alec was on the block it would most likely be for a top 6 forward

Reactions: Shwabeal

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Oh also the kings are knee deep in young defensive prospects We have Forbort and Folin around the same ability We have LaDue and Gravel nhl ready looking for a spot. We just sign a college ufa in Brickley We also have Clague coming So if Alec was on the block it would most likely be for a top 6 forward
Not trying to be that guy, but Maatta would most likely get a better top 6 forward than Martinez.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer

Who says no?
massive no go for the pens. Love Martinez but he's far too old if were talking Maatta. Maatta will be a penguin for a LONG time. These threads always are worth a good laugh though.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
massive no go for the pens. Love Martinez but he's far too old if were talking Maatta. Maatta will be a penguin for a LONG time. These threads always are worth a good laugh though.
Maatta doesn’t fit with our playing style. Martinez does. I like how you say these threads are “worth a good laugh” while you probabaly don’t know anything about Martinez other than his age.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Not trying to be that guy, but Maatta would most likely get a better top 6 forward than Martinez.

Well thats your opinion but if it was that big of a steal I would see all kinda people saying the deal is in the kings favour but i don't The kings are a top 3 team defensively and alec plays 20 mins a game min. So he cant be to bad

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Well thats your opinion but if it was that big of a steal I would see all kinda people saying the deal is in the kings favour but i don't The kings are a top 3 team defensively and alec plays 20 mins a game min. So he cant be to bad
If Martinez was too bad, I wouldn’t want to trade Maatta for him. A 24yo LHD defenseman with term has more value to a team willing to trade a top 6 wing IMO.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If Martinez was too bad, I wouldn’t want to trade Maatta for him. A 24yo LHD defenseman with term has more value to a team willing to trade a top 6 wing IMO.
I am more then fine keeping Jazz hands Better defense man can play in all situations and gets timely goals I ll keep my player u keep yours all good

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
How does Maatta "not fit with our style" when he has clearly been our best defenseman from wire to wire this year? It's not just a binary: we play fast and he is not fast thing is it? Because that's really low rent.

By this alleged logic, Patric Hornqvist wouldn't fit our style either...or ZAR, Sheahan, the departed Bonino, Justin Schultz (our second best d-man this season), etc.

I get that Maatta is a thinking man's player and that's "not a fit" for most people to understand on these boards, but he has been our best d-man this year and swapping him out for the pieces I see him being offered for seems like a pretty big mistake...this is not specific to Alec Martinez, to be clear.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Who says no?
Kings pass. Martinez is probably their most mobile d-man. Not going to move him for Maatta. A young forward? Sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad