Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D John Marino signs extension (6 years, $4.4M AAV)

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Getting ridiculous minutes as a sophomore... do you not notice zero Pens fans complaining?

You're projecting your beliefs on a fanbase that has no issues with his play whatsoever

I`d expect you to have more than 1a in 11 games playing 25min/game on a team with Crosby and Malkin if you are a 1D...

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Crosby and Malkin are enjoying life in the back pasture from what I’ve seen, neither looks like they GAF

Are they really playing like shit? Havent seen any games of Pittsburgh this season, but havent heard Crosby would be one to not try 110%

Reactions: uncleben

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Are they really playing like shit? Havent seen any games of Pittsburgh this season, but havent heard Crosby would be one to not try 110%
I watched today’s game and parts of others and it’s the worst I’ve ever seen them play, especially Crosby. He’s been a slow starter in the past so maybe just not going yet

Reactions: jonlin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, all of the Penguins big guns have been horrendous this year. This team would be one of the top contenders in their division with either good goaltending or a good scoring from their big guns, but they're getting neither of those.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Did you not read what I just said? Just because you play as a #1D on a team with bad D doesn't make you a true #1D in the league. Do you consider Nurse, Hronek true #1D? Because they're the "#1D" on their team...
So if your not in the top 10 D league wide your not a 1D. What criteria do you have to have timo be a 1D? Nurse is a 1D on bottom tier teams yes.. to further the point letang was always considered a 1D for the last 10 to 12 seasons. His play has been bested by Marino. So what does that make him then ?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So if your not in the top 10 D league wide your not a 1D. What criteria do you have to have timo be a 1D? Nurse is a 1D on bottom tier teams yes.. to further the point letang was always considered a 1D for the last 10 to 12 seasons. His play has been bested by Marino. So what does that make him then ?
It makes Letang an old and declining D...

If you think the NHL has 31 #1D then that's up to you but most wont agree. Do you think Danny Dekeyser is one? He was our best D for a while...

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I`d expect you to have more than 1a in 11 games playing 25min/game on a team with Crosby and Malkin if you are a 1D...

Yes, your right after this 11 games he must suck. So glad to have such a good talent evaluator as you to help us see the light. Thanks oh hockey guru.:sarcasm:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
It makes Letang an old and declining D...

If you think the NHL has 31 #1D then that's up to you but most wont agree. Do you think Danny Dekeyser is one? He was our best D for a while...
Is he still ??? Then you got your answer? Letang based on play ( which is critical) is no longer the pens best D. Some teams have potentially 2.like the bluejackets or sharks .... every tema has their own 1/2 D that they can throw out in most situations, what they don't have is a top 10 or 15 D....there's a difference

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Is he still ??? Then you got your answer? Letang based on play ( which is critical) is no longer the pens best D. Some teams have potentially 2.like the bluejackets or sharks .... every tema has their own 1/2 D that they can throw out in most situations, what they don't have is a top 10 or 15 D....there's a difference
Ill re-ask. Do you think Dekeyser was a true #1D at ant point in his career? If the answer to this is yes then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Better yet, if by some miracle Ceci was the best D on a team, would you consider him a #1D as well?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ill re-ask. Do you think Dekeyser was a true #1D at ant point in his career? If the answer to this is yes then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Better yet, if by some miracle Ceci was the best D on a team, would you consider him a #1D as well?

Why do people always think that when someone makes an argument that there are 31 #1D in the league, that it means they are asserting each team has one? It’s not a complex concept to understand yet I see this illogical counter argument all the time.

The designation ‘#1D’ comes for the makeup of NHL (and all professional) rosters.

Its a ‘slot’ to be filled. Given there are 31 NHL teams, the best 31 D would fill those slots, if the players were evenly distributed.

If people want to talk about top defenceman there are plenty of other descriptions that could be used like ‘elite’ or ‘top 10/20’ whatever you please. The intentional misunderstanding of the argument is so tiresome.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why do people always think that when someone makes an argument that there are 31 #1D in the league, that it means they are asserting each team has one? It’s not a complex concept to understand yet I see this illogical counter argument all the time.

The designation ‘#1D’ comes for the makeup of NHL (and all professional) rosters.

Its a ‘slot’ to be filled. Given there are 31 NHL teams, the best 31 D would fill those slots, if the players were evenly distributed.

If people want to talk about top defenceman there are plenty of other descriptions that could be used like ‘elite’ or ‘top 10/20’ whatever you please. The intentional misunderstanding of the argument is so tiresome.
You're right. Now tell that to the guy who said Marino is a #1D because he plays as the #1D on the Pens. Hes literally said if youre the best D on your team then you're a #1D.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Getting ridiculous minutes as a sophomore... do you not notice zero Pens fans complaining?

You're projecting your beliefs on a fanbase that has no issues with his play whatsoever
Actually quite a few Pens fans have said hes been bad this year, they just assume he will get better

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

I shall also ask again is the player you mentioned still playing in the 1D spot ? If so then why is this so hard? If not and he just had a good run and settled back into the 3/4 spot then that's another thing. As far as the pens go ots like this ... ceci received the highest grade , a B plus. But playing a more sheltered role. While letang was injured Marino for the most part took over the 1D. POJ may make a good case for that here though. In the case of the aging letang his play alone dictates he is no longer a 1D. For the record I think his rating was a D minus.....

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I shall also ask again is the player you mentioned still playing in the 1D spot ? If so then why is this so hard? If not and he just had a good run and settled back into the 3/4 spot then that's another thing. As far as the pens go ots like this ... ceci received the highest grade , a B plus. But playing a more sheltered role. While letang was injured Marino for the most part took over the 1D. POJ may make a good case for that here though. In the case of the aging letang his play alone dictates he is no longer a 1D. For the record I think his rating was a D minus.....
This is like talking to a brick wall.

Again, if you're just the best D on a team full of bad defenseman it doesn't make you a #1D.

If someone had a defense made of:
Ceci, Johnson, Gudbranson, Staal, Sbisa and Bowey are you really going to call one of them a #1D? I'd sure hope not.

Hronek has also played as our "#1D" the last two seasons but no one actually thinks he is one

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Actually quite a few Pens fans have said hes been bad this year, they just assume he will get better
He will get better, he's a high IQ player and you don't just start forgetting how to play hockey or something. He's struggling but he will eventually snap out of it and be good again, like everyone goes through these types of growing pains. I aint worried.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He will get better, he's a high IQ player and you don't just start forgetting how to play hockey or something. He's struggling but he will eventually snap out of it and be good again, like everyone goes through these types of growing pains. I aint worried.
He was a high IQ player for like 60 games... No real way of knowing that's his norm with so little games played, which is kind of what everyone was getting at when they said this is a risky signing but could definitely pay off

Reactions: lowol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it funny people are actually arguing about the #1D as if Marino needs to play like a #1D to be worth that contract.

If he regresses and only ends up a #4D for the entirety of that contract, it's still a completely fair contract. He'd have to have a Zaitsev or Matheson caliber drop-off, where he'd fall off a monumental cliff into not even being a top-4 D anymore, for this contract to go badly.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, all of the Penguins big guns have been horrendous this year. This team would be one of the top contenders in their division with either good goaltending or a good scoring from their big guns, but they're getting neither of those.
Then you as no pre season or real training camp, and the older core are not starting off well. Then the injuries, goaltending etc, It's not really too surprising the slow start

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Assuming PIT keeps Letang, Marino is a very solid D behind him at that cap hit.

Letang/DumoCop/Marino in general is still a very solid top three IMO. Not sure how Matheson’s looked there but it actually looks like he has more AVG TOI than Marino but I’ve always held Marino in a higher regard.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Assuming PIT keeps Letang, Marino is a very solid D behind him at that cap hit.

Letang/DumoCop/Marino in general is still a very solid top three IMO. Not sure how Matheson’s looked there but it actually looks like he has more AVG TOI than Marino but I’ve always held Marino in a higher regard.

Matheson's been a bad mofo for us this year. Really making things work as a transition guy and producing fantastic 5v5 offence.

Marino hasn't been fantastic, but then he's been asked to take on some tough minutes without a great deal of help and has done so adequately. Right now the deal looks fair (but we could have got better), but there's still some runway for it to become great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->