Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D John Marino signs extension (6 years, $4.4M AAV)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Myers, Phaneuf, etc

It happens

I don't think either of those guys were ever elite defensively, though. Even at their best, they were impressive because of their offensive game combined with passable defense. Defensive ability was neither guy's strength even at their peak.

Also, especially in the case of Phaneuf, he was always a "all tools, not much IQ" type player. Those types of players are likely to see the biggest fall when their tools start to erode a bit. A guy like Marino relies more on smarts than any sort of all-world skills with the puck. He's a smooth skating guy with good IQ. Those don't usually see a huge drop-off unless they suffer some sort of career-altering injury.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
But that's the thing though, all of those guys were (or still are in Myers case) good defensemen. Sure, I can totally see Marino not living up to what he did in his rookie year, but that's because he was downright insane in his rookie year. His analytical results last year were those of a #1 defenseman. I can easily see him not reaching that level, but even if he regresses, it's still a good price for him.

For this deal to become bad for Pittsburgh, Marino needs to crater like Zaitsev did and no longer be a top-4 D. Even if Marino regresses but into an 18 minute #4, this is still a fair deal because $4.4 million for a #4D is pretty reasonable.
Yeah I don't think its an awful deal. Risky, obviously the Penguins were looking to get a steal by signing him early, but it's not looking like it'll pan out that way, but its still cheap enough that the contract is manageable even if he's an average 2nd pairing guy

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I think it's funny to see how many poster's desperately want Marino to fail so it can somehow validate their opinions on him. Marino is the least of my worries on the Penguins and i have no doubt that contract will not be a problem in the future. Feel free to quote me on this in the future.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
But that's the thing though, all of those guys were (or still are in Myers case) good defensemen. Sure, I can totally see Marino not living up to what he did in his rookie year, but that's because he was downright insane in his rookie year. His analytical results last year were those of a #1 defenseman. I can easily see him not reaching that level, but even if he regresses, it's still a good price for him.

For this deal to become bad for Pittsburgh, Marino needs to crater like Zaitsev did and no longer be a top-4 D. Even if Marino regresses but into an 18 minute #4, this is still a fair deal because $4.4 million for a #4D is pretty reasonable.
Seems like a good example of why you shouldn't tie yourself to analytics.

Marino was, and likely will never be a #1D, but I think hoping for him to become a 2 or 3 is reasonable.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Marino was, and likely will never be a #1D, but I think hoping for him to become a 2 or 3 is reasonable.
Well he is # 1 D on the pens right now . He will probably grow into thay role in Pitt this season as letang clearly isn't anymore. Will he be a top 5 ot 10 D? Maybe not . Will he be a # 1 ? Absolutely, already is

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I don't tie myself to analytics and felt the same about Marino last season as the folks who do. His analytics look good because that's how he played.

Still not even worried. It's weird that other teams' fans are so worried about Marino and us here in Pens land are fine.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And all 3 guys had already been stars in their leagues and internationally at junior level. Theres no comparing theese. Marino had 0 appearences in international hockey at high level as junior and didnt have 1 single standout season at high level in any age. HE LUCKED OUT. Dont you see the difference?

I'm not the guy moving the goal posts. I'm just pointing out that you were wrong when you said "Also, all others have to play the NHL for atleast 3yrs before they get their RFA contracts."

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Myers, Phaneuf, etc

It happens

Phaneuf sucked defensively, his offence and physicality was his calling card.

Myers stagnated and wasn’t a Calder winner because of his defensive play.

I’m not asking for guys who peaked offensively early. That does often correlate with luck. Give me a guy in the Vlasic/Hjalmarsson mould who lucked into being very, very good defensively if not elite and then stopped.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t care to look up analytics, but Adam Larsson was a top pairing dman at 23, and one of the top shutdown dmen in the league. He’s fallen off significantly

Even if I grant this, despite Larsson never having a season as good as Marino last year, was Adam Larsson an albatross contract through most of his career?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Even if I grant this, despite Larsson never having a season as good as Marino last year, was Adam Larsson an albatross contract through most of his career?

The question is how far does he fall. Larsson went from a #2 to like a #4, so his contract has been fine this whole time. Just not a steal like it started out. If Marino can stay as a top 4 dman for the whole contract, there’s nothing wrong with it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The question is how far does he fall. Larsson went from a #2 to like a #4, so his contract has been fine this whole time. Just not a steal like it started out. If Marino can stay as a top 4 dman for the whole contract, there’s nothing wrong with it

Yeah, that's the thing that I don't get here. Even if Marino follows the same exact trajectory of Larsson, this contract still ends up good on the overall. So what's the problem here? I know you're not saying it's a problem, but others are.

Marino would have to go basically on a Zaitsev trajectory for this deal to go "badly" for the Penguins. It may not end up a steal if Marino follows the path of Maatta or Larsson, but that's still not a bad deal. If Marino does that, they paid middle pair money to a middle pair defenseman, so I don't see the problem there.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Was a +1 and played 30+ minutes last night. Not sure how anyone can be down on this guy. He is 23 has 70 career games and is being ask to be the number 1 defensemen. And all the while he hasn't looked bad. He has struggled but his upside is still there. No one on the team is confident now.

I said it in the Pens game thread, but if you'd told me a year ago that John Marino and Pierre-Olivier Joseph would be logging 30 and 26 minutes in a single game in January 2021, I would've called you crazy. Or that the entire team had contracted covid. They combined for almost 57 minutes last night, which was 6 more than Ruhwedel, Ceci, Yannick Weber and Kevin theChurchofMan combined.

The entire Pens D corps going down has been awful, but it has really allowed Marino and POJ to show they can pillars on the blue line for a long time.

Last edited:

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
I said it in the Pens game thread, but if you'd told me a year ago that John Marino and Pierre-Olivier Joseph would be logging 30 and 26 minutes in a single game in January 2021, I would've called you crazy. Or that the entire team had contracted covid. They combined for almost 57 minutes last night, which was 6 more than Ruhwedel, Ceci, Yannick Weber and Kevin theChurchofMan combined.

The entire Pens D corps going down has been awful, but it has really allowed Marino and POJ to show they can pillars on the blue line for a long time.

POJ-Marino will be the Pens top pairing for a long long time. I don't understand the discourse against Marino in here. Outside of a couple of games on his off-side playing with Cody Ceci, he has been great. Probably the Pens best dman.

This contract is an absolute steal. 4.4M for a top pairing guy through his prime, sheeesh.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
POJ-Marino will be the Pens top pairing for a long long time. I don't understand the discourse against Marino in here. Outside of a couple of games on his off-side playing with Cody Ceci, he has been great. Probably the Pens best dman.

This contract is an absolute steal. 4.4M for a top pairing guy through his prime, sheeesh.
You do realize that Sidney Crosby is almost 34 years old, right? Malkin's almost 35. The only reason this guy is 'top pairing' is because he's playing with a guy who tilts the ice the majority of the time.

Definitely a win in terms of a trade acquisition, but I'm not sure he's a guy worthy of a $20m take home when all things are said and done. They kinda doubled down trading for the Matheson contract, too.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
1 secondary assist after 11 games and a negative 4. Yikes.

Getting ridiculous minutes as a sophomore... do you not notice zero Pens fans complaining?

You're projecting your beliefs on a fanbase that has no issues with his play whatsoever

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well he is # 1 D on the pens right now . He will probably grow into thay role in Pitt this season as letang clearly isn't anymore. Will he be a top 5 ot 10 D? Maybe not . Will he be a # 1 ? Absolutely, already is
Hronek is our #1D... Wouldnt call him a #1D

Nurse is the #1D for the Oilers... No one would call him a #1D

Just because you play the most on a poor team doesn't make you a true #1D

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hronek is our #1D... Wouldnt call him a #1D

Nurse is the #1D for the Oilers... No one would call him a #1D

Just because you play the most on a poor team doesn't make you a true #1D
Yet somehow with the exception on POJ ,Marino is the # 1 D on the pens. Don't fret it pal, Marino will be a true # 1/2 D moving forward the real issue is POJ has been incredible

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yet somehow with the exception on POJ ,Marino is the # 1 D on the pens. Don't fret it pal, Marino will be a true # 1/2 D moving forward the real issue is POJ has been incredible
Did you not read what I just said? Just because you play as a #1D on a team with bad D doesn't make you a true #1D in the league. Do you consider Nurse, Hronek true #1D? Because they're the "#1D" on their team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad