Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D John Marino signs extension (6 years, $4.4M AAV)

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Their ice time does not reflect those players being 2nd line players.

Marino's does.
Marino and Letang play the same position. Your argument is essentially that if Marino doesn't play more minutes than Letang - who was fourth in ice time per game played last season - then this makes Marino's playing ability that of a 2nd-pairing defenseman.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
He’s already the Penguins second best defender and their best in the D zone, passing Letang and even Dumoulin in that respect. Pretty remarkable to have him for under 5 mill.

Stop using facts and logic, and join the pants on head culluration and just blindly say how bad this deal is what if
he becomes Jeff Finger, what if he gets hurt, what if he regresses. Purple monkey dishwasher.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Scorching take. 4 games really?

Well as the second coming of Nick Lidström as most ppl here were saying the season didnt start too well. The guy have 1 season under his belt and his tires were pumped like never before. He hadnt shown any real success on any facet before last season and suddenly get a contract like this. Still think he will be a serviceable defenseman, but I have no clue why Penguins werent able to get a 2yr "show-me" bridge-deal at 2,5-3,5M

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Well as the second coming of Nick Lidström as most ppl here were saying the season didnt start too well. The guy have 1 season under his belt and his tires were pumped like never before. He hadnt shown any real success on any facet before last season and suddenly get a contract like this. Still think he will be a serviceable defenseman, but I have no clue why Penguins werent able to get a 2yr "show-me" bridge-deal at 2,5-3,5M

Can I see a quote w him and Lidstrom in the same paragraph other than yours?

Reactions: BillPrep

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not sure how it's weird for a fanbase to be excited to have a right handed d-man who just came off of one of the most impressive rookie seasons for a defenseman in the team's history locked up long term.

I raise you with Zarley Zalapski.

1987-1988 15gp 3g + 8a 11p +10
1988-1989 58gp 12g + 33a 45p +10

I give you that he was impressive. I just think he got a too fat contract too early. Sometimes theese kinda contract takes the drive off when you have your life set too early. I`d like to see a few good years before handing out theese

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I raise you with Zarley Zalapski.

1987-1988 15gp 3g + 8a 11p +10
1988-1989 58gp 12g + 33a 45p +10

I give you that he was impressive. I just think he got a too fat contract too early. Sometimes theese kinda contract takes the drive off when you have your life set too early. I`d like to see a few good years before handing out theese

....what are you talking about? You had to go back 30+ years to find a comparable player, who isn't even comparable. You also act like Zalapski wasn't a good player after his first 2 seasons. To top it off, you're saying a player got paid too much after a 4 game sample where the entire team, except for a a few bottom 6 forwards, has looked like garbage. Go back to bed.

Reactions: Gardiner Expressway

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If you make any serious judgements on players after four games you're a moron.
No firm judgment but he hasn't been great at all. He has shown flashes but also had some horrible pinches and made some bad defensive decisions. He needs to improve as he may be the most important D on this team now

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I've watched a few of the Pens games so far and sure I'll say that Marino hasnt looked too good... but honestly this season I've decided to not to start judging players till like the 7-10 game mark. I am kinda playing it off as the first 5ish games being the exhibition season.... alot of fans underestimate the importance of exhibition games to start the year and so far when watching games across the league, it has shown that those games have been heavily missed.... not to mention all players usual offseason training routines being screwed up

IMO it's unfair to judge all players this early in the season... cause if that is the case, I could easily trash talk multiple top players from every single team... but that isnt gonna happen

Reactions: Tripod

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I've watched a few of the Pens games so far and sure I'll say that Marino hasnt looked too good... but honestly this season I've decided to not to start judging players till like the 7-10 game mark. I am kinda playing it off as the first 5ish games being the exhibition season.... alot of fans underestimate the importance of exhibition games to start the year and so far when watching games across the league, it has shown that those games have been heavily missed.... not to mention all players usual offseason training routines being screwed up

IMO it's unfair to judge all players this early in the season... cause if that is the case, I could easily trash talk multiple top players from every single team... but that isnt gonna happen

Ya the entire Pens defense is terrible. That includes our forwards and goalies not doing their part.

Marino will be fine. He's shown flashes and made some errors so far. He's also a young D that's bound to have bumps in the road but we are pretty confident his floor is a good 2nd pairing D with his ceiling being a top pair guy.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
He’s been one of our better players this year. GTFO by describing a defenseman on +/- 4 games into the season.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003

Yeah, sounds right.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Marino has definitely had a rough start, like the rest of the Penguins. However, he was a beast in game 2, anyone that watches the Penguins regularly should be able to see he's impressive and passes the "eye test". Marino is the absolute least of my worries.

Reactions: Giskard

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Whole team is a mess, and a sophmore slump isn't unheard of. Ask me at the end of the season if i thought the contract was worth it. Right now I still think he's a bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad