Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
OzNcAOO_d.webp

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’d like to thank the Penguins for opening a sanctuary for unwanted players for this upcoming year. Class move letting these players continue their careers when no one else wanted them.

JR’s rescue.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Great signing by the Pens. Getting a serviceable bottom pairing D for that cap is a very good move. Isn’t this the guy Dubas said (in his year and presser) had really good team specific underlying numbers?

that was the most vague and confounding show of support for a player ever

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
+63/ 995 / 375/ 8955

I suppose they could put me on the bottom pair so technically true...but in a more realistic sense....No you cannot do much worse.
Jack Johnson is absolutely worse so Pens did get better. And TML misused Ceci giving 2 pairing minutes instead of 3rd pairing minutes. Ceci as a 6 is fine. Now if pens play in top 4 it will be a train wreck again.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
So two different teams over the past 4 years played him 20+ minutes a night but he is not an NHLer? Seems like hyperbole to me. You can say he really shouldn't play the amount of minutes he has but over his career he consistently has been given top 4 minutes. So putting him on our 3rd pairing behind Letang 25+ minutes a night and Marino 20+ minutes a night leaves Ceci with only 14 minutes a night and change. That is a big reduction in what he has done over his years in the league. I am willing to bet Ceci will handle those sheltered minutes much better than the 20-23 minutes a night he has been doing over his past 4 years.

Plus the fans and outlets that say Ruhwedel is just as good or better are ridiculous. Ruhwedel has never been an NHL regular and is 29 years old and has never came close to playing 20 minutes a night. Ceci has been averaging over 20+ minutes a night for years and is 26. Ceci might not be a stud but he definitely is an improvement over Schultz who was literally our worse defenseman last year. I still can't believe the Caps gave Schultz $4 million a year. All take Ceci at $1.25 million over Schultz any day even if Schultz could be on the Pens for $700,000. Pens have definitely upgraded the defense with Matheson and Ceci compared to JJ-Schultz.

Just wait til you watch him over a full season.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Is Ceci really much better than Jack Johnson?
He's cheap and that's a huge plus for the Pens. I guess we will find out.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
They still have Ruhwedel or worse case scenario trade for somebody at the deadline. Nothing funny about this signing.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
This guy is the worst D I have laid eyes on for a few years in ottawa, thats saying alot after all our bottom finishes, hes like a jared cowen without the physicality, just thinks the game 2 seconds later then everyone else.

GL pits

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This guy is the worst D I have laid eyes on for a few years in ottawa, thats saying alot after all our bottom finishes, hes like a jared cowen without the physicality, just thinks the game 2 seconds later then everyone else.

GL pits
Didn't Ottawa take the leafs worst D not once but twice ???hardly one to talk...amd isn't one's them still lining up for the sens power ??? LOL.. didn't the sens trade after their best D for almsot nothing and then continue to still miss the playoffs? Anything D from the sens cant be taken seriously

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Didn't Ottawa take the leafs worst D not once but twice ???hardly one to talk...amd isn't one's them still lining up for the sens power ??? LOL.. didn't the sens trade after their best D for almsot nothing and then continue to still miss the playoffs? Anything D from the sens cant be taken seriously

your idea of almost nothing is

Tim Stutzle
Josh Norris ROTY in the A
Chris Tierney
Rudolph Balcers
Mads Sogaard
Dylan Demelo > Leevi Meriläinen (3rd round pick this year)
2nd round pick in 2021

While the rest of the league is complaing about how awful Karlsson is (Which is really only based off of his contract, he's still a dangerous player)

Brutal post man, honestly one of the worst I've read on this board.

Leafs and Sens are both guilty of taking on their bad defencemen.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Bold prediction...

Ceci has a career year, making everyone say what a very nice surprise and didn’t expect that one.

signs 4 year $4.75m extension...

regret half way through year one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad