Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Ceci is a #6, but replacement level or slightly under. So about a 550k overpay. Not the type of D Pittsburgh needs though with Matheson.

Reactions: BHD

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
If you ignore the spicy takes and crappy shot, Ceci had decent underlying numbers in his role. Still a bit expensive at 1.25M but definitely much better than the 4+ he used to earn.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know what Pittsburgh is doing.

In the last 8 months Pittsburgh was traded 2 1st round picks, Callen Addsion, Philip Hallinder, Patrick Hornquvistand brought in.

Zucker who to be fair seemed like he's was working there, Kapanen who I like but is strictly a 3rd liner, Mathason who Florida fans didn't seem to like and now they signed Cody Ceci who is awful.

Pittsburgh is going the wrong way you still got Crosby and Malkin so the crash is a couple years away but when it comes it's going to be a LONG LONG LONG climb back

Reactions: Morrison

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He’s not a bad bottom pairing guy and can kill penalties.

He was a whipping boy in Toronto because of his contract and he played too far up the lineup than he should have for most of his time as a leaf.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know what Pittsburgh is doing.

In the last 8 months Pittsburgh was traded 2 1st round picks, Callen Addsion, Philip Hallinder, Patrick Hornquvistand brought in.

Zucker who to be fair seemed like he's was working there, Kapanen who I like but is strictly a 3rd liner, Mathason who Florida fans didn't seem to like and now they signed Cody Ceci who is awful.

Pittsburgh is going the wrong way you still got Crosby and Malkin so the crash is a couple years away but when it comes it's going to be a LONG LONG LONG climb back

The prices were steep, but it's clear the Pens upgraded their forward talent/depth with the Zucker and Kapanen acquisitions. And on defense, they essentially swapped Johnson and Schultz for Matheson and Ceci. Whether that's an upgrade, downgrade, or remain the same is still to be determined.

But I'm not sure why it's difficult to see what JR is attempting to do. He's trying to improve the areas where the Pens were weak (lack of scoring depth, lack of mobility/puck moving on the blueline). The question is more about whether he's picked up the right pieces to achieve that.

Reactions: Riptide

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
People saying he's not NHL quality are out to lunch. Her a great player for 1.25 million.

He's unspectacular. But fairly reliable. People are only down on him because he was overpaid in Toronto, the worst possible sin for your PR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad