Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Chad Ruhwedel signs extension (1 year, $750K)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Superbly odd move to extend a #7 defenseman when he still has an entire year left on his deal. Really weird.

Yeah, it's kind of weird to commit that far into the future for someone like Ruhwedel. I guess loyalty from the organization or something for a guy who doesn't moan about being healthy scratched all the time? But it seems unnecessary otherwise since he's literally a dime a dozen and can be replaced quite easily.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, it's kind of weird to commit that far into the future for someone like Ruhwedel. I guess loyalty from the organization or something for a guy who doesn't moan about being healthy scratched all the time? But it seems unnecessary otherwise since he's literally a dime a dozen and can be replaced quite easily.

I think someone on the Penguins board figured it out, it's expansion draft related. Right now, the Penguins bottom pair on paper is Johnson-Ruhwedel, and the next in line in WBS in terms of young players is POJ-Maniscalco. There is a completely reasonable scenario where the Penguins traded JJ between now and the expansion draft (to make a spot for POJ, who's near NHL ready), so if Ruhwedel wasn't signed for 2021-2022, the Penguins wouldn't have an expansion eligible defenseman on the roster. They could have had to waste assets to get one or face penalties for not having one, so this deal makes sense from that POV alone.

I don't know if that was the justification JR used, but it would make sense if that's the reason he signed this early.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not crazy about his game for some reason. But as a #7, and now with actual prospects like POJ & Maniscalco behind him, it shouldn’t matter much. You play Ruh if someone gets a stomach bug an hour before puck drop, but if someone’s out a while you roll with POJ.

Reactions: Morrison

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I mean, he's a reliable #7. What's the best thing you can reasonably hope for out of a #7?

Why not lock that up for an extra year for league minimum when there aren't any internal options visibly on the cusp? Alternatives aren't going to come any cheaper.

Not crazy about his game for some reason. But as a #7, and now with actual prospects like POJ & Maniscalco behind him, it shouldn’t matter much. You play Ruh if someone gets a stomach bug an hour before puck drop, but if someone’s out a while you roll with POJ.

He's just a solid stand-in. Nothing remarkable about him, but I don't remember slapping my forehead because of any of his plays like I did with our other bottom pair dmen last year.

There's something to be said for a cheap #7 defensemen that won't f*** things up, even if he doesn't do much else.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He's a reliable vet who accepts his role, cashes his 700k check and is always ready to step in. He always looks fine when he's in there despite long stretches of no action. He's the NHL equivalent of the veteran backup QB.

If this is for the expansion draft, or just to reward a good soldier with an extra year of term whether he's in the press box or in the A, so be it.

Reactions: Giskard

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Johnson can enjoy the minors for the remaining of his contract.
We’d be on hook for salary at the NHL level against the cap if they demoted him. Not sure how much, don’t feel like looking it up, it’s something like only 1.25M in cap space savings. I’m going off memory for that so I could be off. But that maybe what it comes down too.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He can be buried in the minors with no cap hit, so the downsides are pretty limited for this move.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Penguins re-sign Chad Ruhwedel.

What's more of note is that Ruhwedel already has a deal for next season. This doesn't kick in until 2021/22.

Probably securing contracts for the expansion draft.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I pride myself on knowing hockey players, but who? 30 years old vet and I know little about him.
Vet fringe D that can play replacement minutes.
Can't even call him a journeyman because he's stuck it out with BUF and now PIT his whole career.
He was a well touted college free agent.

Like I mentioned though, what makes this more noteworthy is its an expansion contract. Can't imagine why else PIT would sign a 30y/o fringe D for 32 year old contract a year a half out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Vet fringe D that can play replacement minutes.
Can't even call him a journeyman because he's stuck it out with BUF and now PIT his whole career.
He was a well touted college free agent.

Like I mentioned though, what makes this more noteworthy is its an expansion contract. Can't imagine why else PIT would sign a 30y/o fringe D for 32 year old contract a year a half out.
Thanks. I was just trying to be honest. I recall his name, but really to quote the late great Pat Burns when Fletcher traded for an unknown Bill Berg at the time, I wouldn't know him if I ran over him....lol

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->