Proposal: PIT-BUF

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Value seems fair. But if the teams are battling for the same wild card spot, I'm not sure they want to help each other

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Value seems fair. But if the teams are battling for the same wild card spot, I'm not sure they want to help each other

Buffalo's issue is that the current coach leans on Sobotka for center minutes. Many fans would love to see something done, even laterally, with Sobotka but they don't have anyone they've shown willingness to plug into those minutes.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Buffalo's issue is that the current coach leans on Sobotka for center minutes. Many fans would love to see something done, even laterally, with Sobotka but they don't have anyone they've shown willingness to plug into those minutes.
Anyone who can breathe

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Yes, lets trade Pearson away for someone on pace to score fewer points, older, signed for more. Nope.

Pens fans need to stop trying to get rid of Pearson, he's fine.

Reactions: Trade

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
I can understand why the proposal was made but I think it’s pretty much pointless to do so plus I’m not sure Jason botterill will help the pens again

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Contrary to popular belief here in Buffalo, Sobotka hasn't been that terrible. He's eating a great deal of all purpose utility minutes, PP, PK and ES. He'd be a good grab for any team looking to bolster line 3/4.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Contrary to popular belief here in Buffalo, Sobotka hasn't been that terrible. He's eating a great deal of all purpose utility minutes, PP, PK and ES. He'd be a good grab for any team looking to bolster line 3/4.

This is wildly incorrect. He has been, by far, their worst skater. To compound his terrible play, the coach, until recently, hasn't realized how terrible Sobotka has been, and has overplayed him.

My first choice would be to waive Sobotka before year's end, watch him refuse to report to Rochester and run back to Europe, and then be out from under his contract for next year. But failing that, I would probably do this trade. I don't see why PIT would do the trade, though.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This is wildly incorrect. He has been, by far, their worst skater. To compound his terrible play, the coach, until recently, hasn't realized how terrible Sobotka has been, and has overplayed him.

My first choice would be to waive Sobotka before year's end, watch him refuse to report to Rochester and run back to Europe, and then be out from under his contract for next year. But failing that, I would probably do this trade. I don't see why PIT would do the trade, though.
It's incorrect in your opinion, not in mine. He plays a versatile utility role here in Buffalo. Is he suited for it? Not really, but there are plenty of "worse skaters" on this team, he stands out with those timeless greats such as Tage "to slow" Thompson, Marco "giveaway machine" Scandella and that pillar of greatness Rasmus "i'm a pylon" Ristolainen. There are of course, others, the rookie that can't play defense to save his life, the winger who's head is an egg shell, the young center that shouldn't even be in the NHL yet to name a few.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
It's incorrect in your opinion, not in mine. He plays a versatile utility role here in Buffalo. Is he suited for it? Not really, but there are plenty of "worse skaters" on this team, he stands out with those timeless greats such as Tage "to slow" Thompson, Marco "giveaway machine" Scandella and that pillar of greatness Rasmus "i'm a pylon" Ristolainen. There are of course, others, the rookie that can't play defense to save his life, the winger who's head is an egg shell, the young center that shouldn't even be in the NHL yet to name a few.

There is a difference between an opinion and fact. FACT: Sobotka is terrible. OPINION: You are okay with the coach putting terrible undeserving players out in all situations and giving them way too much ice time.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
There is a difference between an opinion and fact. FACT: Sobotka is terrible. OPINION: You are okay with the coach putting terrible undeserving players out in all situations and giving them way too much ice time.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating Phil is doing the right thing here. What I am saying is there is plenty of bad on this club to equal Sobotka's play.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I was under the impression Pearson was a good fit in Pittsburgh.. ?

Why such a fast turnaround?

Started well, then the team started playing like butt and he hasn't really come back around. Tough situation though as the only line that has chemistry is the Guentzel - Crosby - Rust line so Pearson has bounced around between lines (given the Bjugstad/Mccann for Sheahan/Brassard trade I think Pearson has already been centred by about 8 different guys just in his short time with the Pens). Still think he's a good middle 6 winger but he's probably expendable on the Pens with the emergence of Blueger and Sullivan's insistence on playing Garrett Wilson.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
I was under the impression Pearson was a good fit in Pittsburgh.. ?

Why such a fast turnaround?
When he first arrived in pitt, he was playing second line minutes with Malkin and Kessel.. wasn’t doing much, they threw him on the 3rd line and was doing even worse, for a guy that’s almost making 4 million a season and not contributing ES and not playing PP or PK minutes, he has found himself being a healthy scratch so if he isn’t gone by the deadline he will def be gone in the off-season

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
i think the pens add to offset the extra year on pearsons deal

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
When he first arrived in pitt, he was playing second line minutes with Malkin and Kessel.. wasn’t doing much, they threw him on the 3rd line and was doing even worse, for a guy that’s almost making 4 million a season and not contributing ES and not playing PP or PK minutes, he has found himself being a healthy scratch so if he isn’t gone by the deadline he will def be gone in the off-season

the question is who wants a guy making nearly 4mil with term that hasn't done anything this season? LA was basically ok with just dumping him off for a pending UFA, and that was after only 17 games.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Don't get me wrong, Thompson - how good does that trade look right now? - and Scandella are in the same stratosphere of suck as Sobotka. With that said, he's been indisputably awful. If you don't agree with that, then we will agree to disagree.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Don't get me wrong, Thompson - how good does that trade look right now? - and Scandella are in the same stratosphere of suck as Sobotka. With that said, he's been indisputably awful. If you don't agree with that, then we will agree to disagree.
I do agree. But to point to him as the worst skater on the team given the complete mess the roster is save anyone not named Eichel, Skinner or Reinhart is a bit unfair to the guy.

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
Sobotka has been a huge whipping boy for buffalo fans, the primary reason is housleys use of him. Only problem is there is no one that can eat the minutes so it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

If he was being deployed correctly, it be a total non issue. Not sobotkas fault at all

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Yes, lets trade Pearson away for someone on pace to score fewer points, older, signed for more. Nope.

Pens fans need to stop trying to get rid of Pearson, he's fine.

he's really not, its fine to not get rid of Pearson for Sobotka but he's not some untradeable piece, he's been so below average ever since the 1st two weeks he got traded to the pens. He's basically everything LA kings fans warned us about and then some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad