Pirates still focused on Portland; UPD: Pirates offer to drop lawsuit

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates still focused on Portland
Chris Roy | Maine Hockey Journal

LEWISTON – Brian Petrovek, managing owner of the Portland Pirates, called Glens Falls, New York absolutely a last resort.

Petrovek confirmed that he toured Glens Falls late last month while the Pirates were in Albany, New York for an American Hockey League game.

READ MORE

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Only time will tell if this is a serious look at becoming the Adirondack Pirates or if it's a move designed to try to put state and local pressure on their arena negotiations (assuming that they're still ongoing).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Only time will tell if this is a serious look at becoming the Adirondack Pirates or if it's a move designed to try to put state and local pressure on their arena negotiations (assuming that they're still ongoing).

it won't be any other city involved, because as stated in August, Lewiston is considered part of the franchise territory, and Saco's still involved between a potential arena deal adjacent to MHG Ice.

nothing has essentially changed on the ice since the announced season @ the Colisee.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates make offer to drop lawsuit

Pirates offer to drop lawsuit

There may be a breakthrough in the ongoing lease dispute between the Portland Pirates and board of trustees for the Cumberland County Civic Center.

READ MORE

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Interesting. Looks like the Pirates are doing everything they can to facilitate negotiations, while at State level the introduction of that new Bill allowing Sports Teams to share in alcohol sales responsive to the challenges faced. Interesting idea as well in teaming up with the Red Claws on the new facility in Portland, capacity, splitting revenues etc; also the options of staying put with maybe retrofits or least likely a move to Glens Falls (and sorry to hear their losing their franchise)....

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
This whole thing is going to end badly for all involved. It's obvious that the powers to be on the city side have no desire to negotiate, it's basically their way or not at all. The team has made multiple efforts to bridge the gap and been spurned at every turn.
Dave Andrews was in Chicago recently to see a game and I ask him about the whole portland thing as I called it. His face got real "dark" and his expression very disturbed and he said...."It's not good....not good at all."
I brought up the alternate arena idea since the team owners own property near the practice rink and he didn't exactly say no, nor did he say yes. I got the feeling that whole idea is very much in play. It would allow them to circumvent the arena owners and still keep the portland name.They also would be able to set up a contract to their liking, while taking a large chunk of business away from the existing building.
Hutch since you are in that area.....how many "replacement" events has the civic center been able to fill the pirates schedule with? I know there is construction and renovations being done, but have they been able to fill any of the lost dates for the 2014 portion of this year's pirates schedule? Be interesting to see just how much revenue they are going to lose over this dispute.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Trustees reject talks with Pirates

The Board of Trustees for the Cumberland County Civic Center have decided to move forward with the status quo, rejecting talks with their former tenant, the Portland Pirates, over a disputed lease.

READ MORE

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The city is really siding with the hockey team because of the effect on local businesses. The county are the ones who are playing hardball. I'd say everything is still in play at the moment.... There is a political push to force the county back to the table, but they are resisting like a 5-year-old would resist eating their vegetables.

We're going to have an answer within the next three weeks about the future of this team.

To answer your other question... The opening of the CCCC is going to be delayed because the gas company needs to install a new main from the street. This is an unexpected delay so some of the events might have to be canceled, but that's still to be seen. Right now, they have four or five events scheduled. A home show, monster truck rally, two concerts and Harlem Globetrotters.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The city is really siding with the hockey team because of the effect on local businesses. The county are the ones who are playing hardball. I'd say everything is still in play at the moment.... There is a political push to force the county back to the table, but they are resisting like a 5-year-old would resist eating their vegetables.

We're going to have an answer within the next three weeks about the future of this team.

To answer your other question... The opening of the CCCC is going to be delayed because the gas company needs to install a new main from the street. This is an unexpected delay so some of the events might have to be canceled, but that's still to be seen. Right now, they have four or five events scheduled. A home show, monster truck rally, two concerts and Harlem Globetrotters.

Thanks wildcat, and I apologize, I forgot you were also in that area. My mistake about the city and county.....completely forgot that it's the county who is holding up everything and throwing their temper tantrum and not the city.
Like I said earlier, Andrews really had nothing good to say about the whole situation and really kind of gave a disheartened sigh when I asked him about it. He said that the sides were far apart and that he needed to see if he could find a way to get it fixed. Looks like he has about 3 weeks to figure it out.
Also looks like there really isn't a whole lot scheduled to take the place of the lost games, so looks like they are or will be losing a bunch of revenue as well. Nice way of recouping that money spent on renovations......alienate your main tenant!!!

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
What's really disappointing is they're not that far off.... It's two items that's holding up any final lease agreement. 1. How to split food & beverage. 2. How to define and divide "sub-naming right" for above ice portions of the arena.

As I noted earlier, the trustees are acting very childish right now. It's their sandbox and they want to pick who can play in it. Petrovek has offered for Dave Andrews to sit down and provide assistance, but the trustees declined because its "not in the taxpayers interest" and they've even rejected talks with the Pirates despite the team's willingness to drop the lawsuit.... They don't like Petrovek because of his rough personality and hard core business tactics and they are letting their personal feelings get in the way of getting a deal completed.

Now, we have political pressure mounting from the local and state leaders. The Chamber of Commerce, Mayor of Portland, Portland City Councilors as well as state leaders such as Senate President Justin Alfond – yes, that Alfond from UMaine’s Alfond Arena in Orono – who has pending legislation for the civic center to share alcohol revenue with the Pirates, all weighing in on the issue. It’s getting to the point where they’re going to take sides, if they already haven’t, and voice their opinion as such. The trustees will be on the losing side of that PR battle especially with a $34 million dollar renovation nearly complete.

Personally, I think we have about three or four weeks before the trustees will have to revisit talks or simply come out and say they have another option…. There has been mention that there is interest from the ECHL, but that won’t work. The cost of operating an ECHL is more than an AHL team. Also, the footprint is outside of the Portland geographic region. The two closest teams would be Elmira and Reading.

And, the QMJHL won’t work. The fanbase won’t accept it after having AHL hockey for 33 years.

Here’s a story from the Press Herald….

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
What's really disappointing is they're not that far off.... It's two items that's holding up any final lease agreement. 1. How to split food & beverage. 2. How to define and divide "sub-naming right" for above ice portions of the arena.

As I noted earlier, the trustees are acting very childish right now. It's their sandbox and they want to pick who can play in it. Petrovek has offered for Dave Andrews to sit down and provide assistance, but the trustees declined because its "not in the taxpayers interest" and they've even rejected talks with the Pirates despite the team's willingness to drop the lawsuit.... They don't like Petrovek because of his rough personality and hard core business tactics and they are letting their personal feelings get in the way of getting a deal completed.

Now, we have political pressure mounting from the local and state leaders. The Chamber of Commerce, Mayor of Portland, Portland City Councilors as well as state leaders such as Senate President Justin Alfond – yes, that Alfond from UMaine’s Alfond Arena in Orono – who has pending legislation for the civic center to share alcohol revenue with the Pirates, all weighing in on the issue. It’s getting to the point where they’re going to take sides, if they already haven’t, and voice their opinion as such. The trustees will be on the losing side of that PR battle especially with a $34 million dollar renovation nearly complete.

Personally, I think we have about three or four weeks before the trustees will have to revisit talks or simply come out and say they have another option…. There has been mention that there is interest from the ECHL, but that won’t work. The cost of operating an ECHL is more than an AHL team. Also, the footprint is outside of the Portland geographic region. The two closest teams would be Elmira and Reading.

And, the QMJHL won’t work. The fanbase won’t accept it after having AHL hockey for 33 years.

Here’s a story from the Press Herald….

Wow.....it's all a big (blank) waving contest right now.....mine's bigger than yours crap.I wonder if anyone has told the county trustees that the team isn't beholdant to them and that they, the trustees, really have very little bargining power with the Pirates? All possible replacement teams and or leagues have to do is read all of this and who's going to want to walk into this mess, especially since it has the potential to become their mess in the near future should the trustees gets this wild hair again .

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Judge__Pirates_can_proceed_with_lawsuit_against_Civic_Center_.html

A judge late Friday refused to throw out a lawsuit by the Portland Pirates that seeks to force the Cumberland County Civic Center to abide by the terms of a tentative lease agreement the two parties announced in April.
The decision by Justice Jon Nivison of Cumberland County’s Business and Consumer Court means the lawsuit can proceed, but it will likely be months before it is argued in a courtroom.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates drop lawsuit; resume talks with Civic Center

PORTLAND – Fans of the Portland Pirates may have received an early Christmas gift.

The Pirates dropped its lawsuit against the Cumberland County Civic Center Board of Trustees on Thursday in an attempt to restart negotiations between the American Hockey League team and its former landlord.

READ MORE>>>>>

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Done deal... Pirates staying in Portland until 2018-19 and potentially until 2024-25. Just getting back from press conference and will have more later.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The Portland Pirates and Cumberland County Civic Center have reached an agreement on a new five-year lease with the option of another five-years. The deal is largely the one that both sides agreed to in April with some minor adjustments. Enclosed in the story in a full copy of the lease for you to look over.

READ MORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad