Pink Ladies Jerseys...good/bad idea?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If they were for something like a breast cancer fundraiser (like those pink sticks last year) that'd be cool. But I think just selling them to attract women buyers is dumb. What fan, regardless of the gender, is going to buy a jersey of their team when the colors are all wrong?

It's just like all those multicolor baseball caps. I hardly ever see people at stadiums wearing anything but the actual team cap. And times I've asked people wearing those fashion caps (like a camo yankees cap, or an all blue Boston Red Sox hat), they often aren't fans of the team, they just like the hat.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
If they were for something like a breast cancer fundraiser (like those pink sticks last year) that'd be cool. But I think just selling them to attract women buyers is dumb. What fan, regardless of the gender, is going to buy a jersey of their team when the colors are all wrong?

It's just like all those multicolor baseball caps. I hardly ever see people at stadiums wearing anything but the actual team cap. And times I've asked people wearing those fashion caps (like a camo yankees cap, or an all blue Boston Red Sox hat), they often aren't fans of the team, they just like the hat.

Isn't that the point? To increase sales with people who aren't necessarily hockey fans.

Merchandise is big business (just ask Yogurt in Space Balls) and in a sport like hockey that doesn't generate big tv money like the other major sports it's a very big deal.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Isn't that the point? To increase sales with people who aren't necessarily hockey fans.

Merchandise is big business (just ask Yogurt in Space Balls) and in a sport like hockey that doesn't generate big tv money like the other major sports it's a very big deal.

Except that hockey jerseys aren't exactly casual wear for non-fans. It's not like a baseball cap. People who wear those caps don't even have to be baseball fans. But you never see people wearing hockey jerseys who aren't fans. In fact, I don't remember the last time I saw anyone wearing any jersey in any sport who wasn't at least a fan of the sport.

Mistress Mandy

Jul 28, 2006
Connecticut
www.flickr.com
Now I checked some of the opinions and there was a mention about doing pink jerseys for breast cancer? I'd agree with you on that aspect. If a team were to come out with a jersey like that and then tell you that all proceeds (or some of them) were going towards research, then I'd have no problem attempting to get one.

But 'cause it's only to attract women fans? Not on your life. I think it's a stupid idea. Yes, I'm a female fan of the sport. But I wasn't drawn to this 'cause of the guys' looks. Nor was it due to what people were wearing and what that would look like if I wore something like that. It was 'cause the team I went to go see had a talented group of guys who produced numbers.

Bad idea to the pink jersey question.

TieDomisDiscoInferno*

Lil' Kim will be over that like cool beans, yo

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't really like the idea of the jersey,but they should use the sticks like they did last year maybe a few more times instead of only once

BCCHL inactive

I could swear they used to do that. River City Sports used to advertise ladies cut jerseys for a variety of teams. Now I see them all the time on the sites clearence section. I wonder if they didn't sell.

Believe me, they sold well. They were cleared out because CCM/RBK did not produce them last season. As far as I know, there will be a new womens cut jersey available for NHL teams this season.

As for pink jerseys, they wouldn't sell well. There are already pink t-shirts, sweatshirts and hats produced for women who want it, and boyfriends/husbands who want to buy it for their girlfriends/wives. It sells well enough, but the pink should stay limited to that.

Devulous

Aug 3, 2005
I think it might depend on the price they plan to sell them at, on whether or not they will fail. If they are priced around the same as the regular colour jerseys they definatly won't sell. Regular jerseys go for $100+ cdn and i can't see any non fan paying that for a shirt, and i can't see any fan wanting pink over their teams actual colours. However if they are $30 or so, maybe someone that doesn't like hockey much would buy one. So all in all I think it will be just another bad idea in sea of bad ideas from the NHL

BCCHL inactive

No jersey will ever retail for $30. The regular coloured womens jerseys three years ago retailed for $99.99.

Regular t-shirts (men and womens) retail for anywhere between $25-$35, including the currently available pink shirts for women with NHL team logos.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Goes to show how women conform to a male culture in hockey. Wanting to wear your team's genuine jersey instead of pink doesn't stem from that, but the overall resistance seems greater than if without sub-cultural influence.

It's not as if men weren't made to look like strong hunters and go-getters on the ice, what with colors emphasizing shoulders in basically all jerseys and other details.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I think the pink is pretty stupid. They could just make female jerseys in the normal team colors.

They do (I need to wear them otherwise I look like I'm wearing a dress)......

Also, what is showin in that link is a tee-shirt, not a jersey ..... I kinda like the pinkish color for the tee-shirt ... I'd wear it (not with a Wing logo though) under a hockey jersey or even under my cycling jacket .... what's wrong with broadening the marketing base? If you cater solely to the “hardcore” fans you’ll market yourself right out of existence.

Last edited:

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Looks like something a 15 year old puck bunny would wear. Complete with "Hottie" stitched on the back.

and what woman would wear a pair of Columbus Blue Jackets (or any other team) 10K gold earrings? Yeesh.

and where's the Gary Bettman Pez dispenser?

To be totally girly for a second …. While I wouldn’t wear the earrings, I do have a hockey charm bracelet – it was a gift from some of my former students. It was very sweet and really cute (it's big clunky fake silver thing with skates, pucks, sticks, players, masks, and a tiny Stanley Cup) …….. I wear it when I go to the game .... it's fun, I get lots of comments on it (some of the players noticed it at player events) and I appreciate the fact that my students did bought me something this thoughtful.

And to play devil's advocate .... why is it okay to get a tattoo of your team’s logo and not a pair of earrings.

GWhale*

Isn't there anything better you idiots can argue over? I wear pink all the time and I'm male, it just looks so good on me.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Isn't there anything better you idiots can argue over? I wear pink all the time and I'm male, it just looks so good on me.
Do you gotta be so negative about everything? You seem like a good guy on the Whalers boards. How come you cant act like that here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->