Pig Rigg Retires

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Goodnight, sweet and salty prince.

Former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks today announced his retirement from MMA.

Hendricks (18-8 MMA, 13-8 UFC) made the announcement on today’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio and will hang up his gloves after more than 10 years of MMA competition.

“I’m done. I’m retiring. I’m getting out of the MMA world,” Hendricks told MMAjunkie Radio. “I’ve been thinking about this long and hard for a while. I’m going to get back to my roots. I’m going to start coaching at All Saints (Episcopal School in Fort Worth, Texas). I coached a little bit of high school last year, but I’m going to make the move over to All Saints and start doing those things.”

Hendricks said being away from training for a fight the past seven months helped lead to his decision.

“One of the things that’s nice is being home the last seven months, spending time with the kids, not worrying about what I needed to do,” Hendricks said. “I looked at my wife and said, ‘Do we really want to do this. I know I’m the one who has to do it, but do we want to do it? Do we want to go through the grind that I used to do, be gone for long periods of time, put my family second, do those kids of things?’ Right now, I can’t really say that.
“I made this decision two weeks ago, but I prayed about it and wanted to make sure I was going to be OK with it.”

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't really believe any guys when they say they are retiring, but Hendricks had a great run in the UFC. Loved his KO of Fitch, probably beat GSP, and then put out a couple of great title fights.

Reactions: ck26

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
His downfall was sad, but before and during his prime he was always fun to watch. Seven performance bonuses, beat GSP in the court of public opinion, and did win the belt later on. Was also a 2-time NCAA Division 1 wrestling champion which is an amazing feat in itself.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't really believe any guys when they say they are retiring, but Hendricks had a great run in the UFC. Loved his KO of Fitch, probably beat GSP, and then put out a couple of great title fights.
He's not the same post-USADA and he truly looked like his heart simply was not in it anymore, he couldn't even cut down to WW anymore. Would be shocked if he comes back.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's not the same post-USADA and he truly looked like his heart simply was not in it anymore, he couldn't even cut down to WW anymore. Would be shocked if he comes back.

I woke up this morning to Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell talking about getting 500,000 PPV buys. Nobody coming out of retirement will shock me that much.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Bigg Pigg.

In all seriousness though, good decision by him. He was declining fast and wasn't going to do anything at 185.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad