Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think Boston makes a competitive offer if Krug walks.

I think Edmonton would have a better chance than some would like to believe. Larsson and Russel are both RD and will be UFA in the summer of 2021. Larsson has no trade protection and Russell has to submit a list of 15 teams he would accept a trade to. If they landed Petro, they could flip one of them for a futures asset or cheap middle 6 forward to help with their depth. They should be a clear playoff team if you replace Russell with Petro next year and they have enough cap flexibility from 2021-2025 that you can really sell the ability to build a great core around McDavid, Drai, and Petro.

This one is less likely, but I could see the Devils doing what the Rangers did last summer with Panarin. They have three 1st rounders this year and zero cap concerns for the next couple years. Subban and Schneider both come off the books before they owe their current young talent raises (Hughes, Zacha, Butcher and Blackwood if he is truly the guy). They could offer Petro $12M AAV by 7 years, still be able acquire a couple other good veterans this summer, and not have that AAV hurt them for the first 4 years of the contract. I'm not sure Petro wants to be a part of a rebuild, but that would be a hell of a lot more than anyone else is offering and they would be a bubble team or better in year 1.
After seeing what Boston did to his good buddy Backes, not sure he wants to go there.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
There is no reason Petro shouldn’t be signed. He must want a mega deal and not a hometown discount. Otherwise, he’d be signed. You don’t let your captain and #1 Dman get this far into free agency.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
There is no reason Petro shouldn’t be signed. He must want a mega deal and not a hometown discount. Otherwise, he’d be signed. You don’t let your captain and #1 Dman get this far into free agency.
If the season was progressing like normal, then there'd be plenty of reason to panic, but there's no reason for Petro or the Blues to commit to a deal without knowing what is going to happen for the rest of this season and beyond in the current state of affairs.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think we have to accept that there are plenty of teams out there who would be willing to do similar roster tweaking if they land Petro.

D men like Petro don't become available to sign in the NHL. Who was the last D man of Petro's caliber to hit UFA? I'm not exaggerating when I say that if he gets to UFA, Petro will be the best D man to hit UFA under the existing CBA. Teams just don't get opportunities to sign top 20 NHL D men unless they develop them from a raw player or give up a massive trade package to acquire as a finished product. I can't recall the last time teams had the chance to acquire a top 20 D man for nothing but money. As a whole, I think we are vastly underestimating what teams will do to make the cap work if they ave a chance to plug arguably the most difficult hole in the league.

There isn't a team out there who is going to pass on making an offer to Petro based on concerns about signing their own middle 6 RFA forwards or bottom 4 RFA D. We're talking about downgrading a good middle 6 forward to a rookie and top-end backup to a rookie in order to make the cap work. Other teams would absolutely be willing to do the same. The only teams out on Petro are the ones who already have the cap space tied up next year or have elite RFAs due big raises. That list is short.
The problem is timing for them. Maybe that negotiation period will be a bigger deal, but we have the luxury of making moves in advance with the confidence of Pietrangelo signing. Teams aren't going to move assets that they may want to keep just for a chance to sign Pietrangelo, what if they don't sign him? And yes, teams can go over the cap by 10%, but would Pietrangelo want a situation where the team will be unknown because they have to dump so much cap and will have 0 leverage in trades? It's why you didn't see teams move out cap space for the purposes of signing Tavares.

In the end, competition probably won't be crazy high to sign Petro with the stagnant cap, but we will be in a tough spot to make room for him. Yes, some teams will have space, but will those teams want to take on unnecessary payroll after the owners are losing quite a bit of money? What will the asset cost be to move out that money? It's just a very unknown situation at this point.

There will be enough teams competing for him to make it a real possibility to leave, it just depends on what he wants. If he wants to compete now, he'll have less of a choice though.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
The horror of it is too much to contemplate but based on the cap numbers sure seems like Petro could be headed to Colorado.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The horror of it is too much to contemplate but based on the cap numbers sure seems like Petro could be headed to Colorado.
The optimist in me is that with the cap probably being stagnant for a few years, Colorado will be saving money for Makar's extension after next season. Landeskog will also be due for a raise.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019

So Next Summer, Colorado is going to expose Makar or Girard in the expansion draft?

EJ has a NMC, you would think Petro will ask for the same, leaving either Makar or Girard available.

Thats a tough move considering that Bowen Byram is on the cusp of being in Denver full time.

That also means Zadorov will likely not be re-signed.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
So Next Summer, Colorado is going to expose Makar or Girard in the expansion draft?

EJ has a NMC, you would think Petro will ask for the same, leaving either Makar or Girard available.

Thats a tough move considering that Bowen Byram is on the cusp of being in Denver full time.

That also means Zadorov will likely not be re-signed.
I agree with you that it doesn't make sense for Colorado to go after Petro since RD is already the strength of their back end and a Petro contract would make the next round of raises tough for them. However, if they did sign Petro then they would probably be one of the few teams that opts to protect 4 D and 4 F instead of 3 D and 7 F. MacKinnon and Rantanen are no brainers to protect. So is Landeskog if he has been extended. But after that, they have a lot of good but not incredible forwards. If they went the 4/4 route, they could still protect one of Burakovsky, Kadri, Donskoi, Nichuskin and Compher.

Again, I don't think it is likely that they go after Petro, but if they did the consequence would be losing the 2nd best forward from that group rather than losing one of Girard or Makar.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I agree with you that it doesn't make sense for Colorado to go after Petro since RD is already the strength of their back end and a Petro contract would make the next round of raises tough for them. However, if they did sign Petro then they would probably be one of the few teams that opts to protect 4 D and 4 F instead of 3 D and 7 F. MacKinnon and Rantanen are no brainers to protect. So is Landeskog if he has been extended. But after that, they have a lot of good but not incredible forwards. If they went the 4/4 route, they could still protect one of Burakovsky, Kadri, Donskoi, Nichuskin and Compher.

Again, I don't think it is likely that they go after Petro, but if they did the consequence would be losing the 2nd best forward from that group rather than losing one of Girard or Makar.

Thats a good point, one I hadn't thought of. Its clear if they wanted they could sign Petro for 1 year at a super high amount. If they wanted to put all their eggs in one basket, or I should say all their pucks in one net.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Thats a good point, one I hadn't thought of. Its clear if they wanted they could sign Petro for 1 year at a super high amount. If they wanted to put all their eggs in one basket, or I should say all their pucks in one net.
They could, but I would bet there's virtually no chance Pietrangelo would take a one year deal.

Reactions: 67Blues

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
They could, but I would bet there's virtually no chance Pietrangelo would take a one year deal.
It’s easier to imagine him doing a short term deal with the Blues in anticipation of a long contract at higher AAV as an understanding after, than agreeing to a one year deal with anyone else.

This isn’t the NFL. These long contracts are guaranteed money.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think there is only 1 avenue where a 1 year deal for Petro would make any sense. Generally, a player can't sign an extension after signing a 1 year deal until January 1 of that next season. This is to prevent teams from breaking a long term deal into 2 contracts for cap purposes. This rule places risk on a player by forcing them to play half a season and risk injury/underperformance in order to dissuade a player from being willing to sign a 1 year deal then a long term extension.

So far, I haven't seen anything about the NHL changing this January 1 date with the new season schedule and there is a non-zero chance that it will not get changed. There might be some support among teams and players to say "we don't want compliance buyouts, but allowing teams/players to massage year-to-year cap hits this one time is something that can benefit all parties."

If that extension date remains the same, suddenly the Blues and Petro would both have large incentive to do a 1 year deal followed almost immediately by a 7 or 8 year deal. You could sign him to a relatively cheap 1 year deal and then sign him to a long term extension on January 1, which happens to be the potential start date of the next season. That would largely eliminate the risk for Petro and bridge us to a time where we have more cap space.

It is extremely unlikely that the NHL won't push that January 1 date to the middle of a 2020/21 season. But it is the only way where Petro should even consider passing up a $60M+ contract in favor of a 1 year $12M+ contract. While the risk isn't huge, the worst case scenario of losing out on $45-$55M is just not worth the potential benefits.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think you're spot on, @Brian39 . Given that the current start date for next season is planned to be December 1, I expect this milestone date for extending players on a 1-year deal will get pushed back to late-February or March 1, depending on how much they plan to compress the schedule.

Reactions: mk80

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Pietrangelo on showing emotion near end: "More so when the game's over. It's not a fun situation to be in, especially when you've been somewhere your whole career, but it is what it is. I guess my only thought was just to get home, see my kids and see where the future takes us."

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I would bet during the pause Doug and Petro had at least some discussion on where each side is at. I lean towards him choosing to go elsewhere, and ROR taking over the "C" but I hope I'm wrong because he would be a huge loss on the blueline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->