Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Pietrangelo just might pull a Stamkos and keep us hanging until June. Oh well, at least it will give us something to talk about ... :(

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This saga ends at summer.

Thing is why Army sign Schenn, acquire then Faulk and sign him fast before seeing how well he fits. Its not like Faulk value would sky rocket after this season.

If you don't priorize your best dmen at franchise first you could ask is there some knowledge that Pietro has told this is last season for him in Blues so that's why Faulk was signed right away.

There is too many 'maybe' in this whole situation.

The contracts you mentioned don't hurt Petro being signed. The only way Petro does not resign is if he does not want to be here. Money will not be an issue unless he wants something Pejorative Slured and in that case Toronto can't afford it either.

Come on, I can't f***ing say Pejorative Slured?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
While i'm not a Dubas fan, in light of everything coming out about almost literally everyone on the team hating MB in the wake of his firing, I think his hands were tied a bit on the big $ contracts he gave out. If you think you're going to be stuck with a coach that you really dislike for years to come and know the team has no replacement for you, why not hold out and go for the moon on your contract.
Then you fire the coach day 1 if the players hate him that much.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Home, aren't Toronto his so called home?

He summers in St. Louis. His wife is from St. Louis. He has spent pretty much full time in St. Louis for the last 10 or so years. He hasn't spent full time in Toronto since he was probably 17-18. Is Toronto really his home? Unless he hates St. Louis, I'd say it has as much claim to him as Toronto at this point.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Strickland had a tweet today about talking to Auston Matthews who said he likes coming back to STL because he used to hang out with Matthew Tkachuk here often.

We should start bothering Leafs fans about that. those 2 are gonna be teaming up in STL in 5 years.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He summers in St. Louis. His wife is from St. Louis. He has spent pretty much full time in St. Louis for the last 10 or so years. He hasn't spent full time in Toronto since he was probably 17-18. Is Toronto really his home? Unless he hates St. Louis, I'd say it has as much claim to him as Toronto at this point.

Fair enough, but we could have said the same about Backes right? It's all speculation at this point, obviously. Maybe Petro wants to stay here his whole career, or maybe he wants another challenge after already winning here last year. You can't deny that if/when the Leafs finally win that Cup, they will get a Cubs/Red Sox level of fame from winning their first championship in so long.

But if he leaves, I doubt it will be because he "hates" St. Louis. None of us know what priorities are most important to him.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Every day that clicks off the calendar where Petro doesn’t ink a Blues contract means one less day as a STL resident.

I’m ok with Army maximizing his return on or before the TD. I just don’t see it happening in STL for Petro. Las Vegas odds makers would agree.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Every day that clicks off the calendar where Petro doesn’t ink a Blues contract means one less day as a STL resident.

I’m ok with Army maximizing his return on or before the TD. I just don’t see it happening in STL for Petro. Las Vegas odds makers would agree.

why would Petro waive his NTC...and why would the Blues sacrifice their best (last?) chance to win a Cup by trading their best player right before the playoffs? ...and for what purpose? For the rights to draft a guy who may help this franchise someday win their second Cup? The ridiculousness of that scenario should immediately dispel the notion of Armstrong Stastny-ing the Captain.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
why would Petro waive his NTC...and why would the Blues sacrifice their best (last?) chance to win a Cup by trading their best player right before the playoffs? ...and for what purpose? For the rights to draft a guy who may help this franchise someday win their second Cup? The ridiculousness of that scenario should immediately dispel the notion of Armstrong Stastny-ing the Captain.
I could understand point of view holding Pietro as a last change for Cup run, but we won it already. We dont have that pressure any more.

I rather get something out of Pietro. IF its certain he'll walk after season.

Franchise best dmen, captain who bring Stanley Cup in the St. Louis. Saying that makes my stomach hurt IF he walk for nothing or gets traded, but those two options I'll take return what Pietro can give than watch him walk.

I dont believe he'll be gone or lets say if he's out my world will collapse. I mean this team is all what he represents. There wont be another guy like Pietro. He's our ground and captain, first guy as a Bluenote raise the Stanley Cup over his head.

Front office should fire themselves, Army should fly to Siperia If they fail to re-sign him rest of his career in Blues.

The man is this franchise face. Icon. Legend.

You should re-sign no matter what.

thumb.aspx

Last edited:

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Petro has turned into a hell of a defenseman under Berube. He has to stay and I can’t see a reason he would want to leave. Too many positives being a Blue right now.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Then you fire the coach day 1 if the players hate him that much.
Every single report/rumor made it crystal clear that Dubas did not like Babcock and that Shanny is responsible for a lot of decision making about hockey ops in that franchise. I would be shocked if Dubas had permission/authority to fire Babcock over the summer. Shanahan was the one who went face to face to relieve Babcock of his duties on the road. Shanahan was the one who announced that Babcock had been relieved of his duties. Literally every report out of Toronto suggests that Shanny is the ultimate decision-maker in Toronto and was absolutely the person who had to make the decision about Babcock. Rewriting history to blame Babcok sticking around as long as he did on Dubas is either ill-informed or disingenuous about the structure of Toronto's front office.

Dubas and Babcock very publicly disagreed with each other's vision in a way I haven't seen during the cap era. Meanwhile, Dubas is the one who hired now-interim coach Keefe and it was widely reported that the hire was specifically because of Keefe's reliance on the analytics Dubas' old company provided. There is absolutely no reason to think Dubas wouldn't have replaced Babcock with Keefe at the very first chance he got.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Petro was a hell of a defenseman before Berube was with the org.

He's way more resilient now. Pre-Berube he lets Benn sit on him. Post-Berube he tells Benn he's all washed up plus he sticked him in the chest that game as well. Petro showing way more tenacity in the offensive end too. Taking booming slap shots now. Just way more fight in Petro now. Before he was over-rated, now he's top 3 in the league. The ability was always there, but Berube has made Petro tough minded and look at the results.

Reactions: tomin

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He's way more resilient now. Pre-Berube he lets Benn sit on him. Post-Berube he tells Benn he's all washed up plus he sticked him in the chest that game as well. Petro showing way more tenacity in the offensive end too. Taking booming slap shots now. Just way more fight in Petro now. Before he was over-rated, now he's top 3 in the league. The ability was always there, but Berube has made Petro tough minded and look at the results.
I’m not seeing that. I’m seeing Parayko (and Bouwmeester) taking the bulk of the thought defensive assignments freeing up Pietro for more offensive deployment since Robinson got involved. It’s not that Pietro isn’t strong defensively (he’s fantastic), but this optimizes the Blues’ strengths. Parayko has a sexy slap shot velocity, but he doesn’t have accuracy or a quick enough release to have it be a game-changing element. Robinson seemed less invested in trying to force Parayko into that role, and embraced Pietro’s offensive game more.

Berube probably deserves some credit for that too, but I think Pietro is the same guy he always was. Maybe more confident in his shot these days is all.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Every single report/rumor made it crystal clear that Dubas did not like Babcock and that Shanny is responsible for a lot of decision making about hockey ops in that franchise. I would be shocked if Dubas had permission/authority to fire Babcock over the summer. Shanahan was the one who went face to face to relieve Babcock of his duties on the road. Shanahan was the one who announced that Babcock had been relieved of his duties. Literally every report out of Toronto suggests that Shanny is the ultimate decision-maker in Toronto and was absolutely the person who had to make the decision about Babcock. Rewriting history to blame Babcok sticking around as long as he did on Dubas is either ill-informed or disingenuous about the structure of Toronto's front office.

Dubas and Babcock very publicly disagreed with each other's vision in a way I haven't seen during the cap era. Meanwhile, Dubas is the one who hired now-interim coach Keefe and it was widely reported that the hire was specifically because of Keefe's reliance on the analytics Dubas' old company provided. There is absolutely no reason to think Dubas wouldn't have replaced Babcock with Keefe at the very first chance he got.
Jeeez......ok......ok......

For clarity, I bolded the reason I didnt know lol.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Benn would most likely still beat the shit out of Petro if given the chance...:dunno:

Reactions: Brian39

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
wonder if that would impress his owner enough to lay off him for a minute...

Its just silly to think Pietrangelo is all of a sudden tougher. He's the same guy he's always been. He was at his most physical during the 2016 playoffs. Dude was trucking people. I don't think the initial Benn sitting on Pietrangelo was a big deal, it's when he shoved his head into the ice....that was the part that needed an immediate retaliation....not a year later, in a chirp and stick wack.

Petro's revenge was knocking Benn's team out of the playoffs and ultimately winning a championship

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39 and tomin

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If I knew 100% Petro wasn’t re-signing here, I’d move him to the Leafs for Nylander, Kap and a 1st.
If he's not staying, you cant turn down a package like that. Doubt Toronto would offer it.....we can haze Nylander into a tough kid

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If I knew 100% Petro wasn’t re-signing here, I’d move him to the Leafs for Nylander, Kap and a 1st.
As everyone probably knows, I am not a fan of William Nylander. :) However this deal would be very, very hard to turn down. I doubt the Leafs do it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->