Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
After finally getting some sleep (insomnia can be a real *****) that's painfully clear re-reading this when rested...

Clearly Stlblue50 meant "than" here, as opposed to "then".
It happens, I tend to get lazy with my grammar when posting online.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
The front office knows that without Petro our Cup window is essentially closed and I just can't imagine they'll allow that to happen. I don't know if he'll re-sign during the season or off-season but I'm very confident he will re-sign.
I wouldn’t go that far, our cup window is still open without Petro. It will of course hurt the Blues chances but we are still a very deep and balanced team with a great goalie.

It is a tough decision for sure and we don’t know what Petro is asking for right now. The Hawks and Kings overpaid for the players that helped them win cups and it screwed up their future. Toronto has also tried load up on huge contract players and can’t get out of the 1st round

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I wouldn’t go that far, our cup window is still open without Petro. It will of course hurt the Blues chances but we are still a very deep and balanced team with a great goalie.

It is a tough decision for sure and we don’t know what Petro is asking for right now. The Hawks and Kings overpaid for the players that helped them win cups and it screwed up their future. Toronto has also tried load up on huge contract players and can’t get out of the 1st round
Toronto is going to struggle to get into the 1st round this year. Dubas has done a number on that franchise.

Reactions: DoubleK81

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It's frustrating that people are warning about the dangers of big contracts after the ones given to Faulk and Schenn. Pietrangelo should have taken priority over those two.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's frustrating that people are warning about the dangers of big contracts after the ones given to Faulk and Schenn. Pietrangelo should have taken priority over those two.

Schenn and Faulk aren't 'big' though. $6.5M/year doesn't cripple a franchise if/when it goes south. Not with an $84M payroll (expected next season I've seen) and ELC/RFA to fill in the edges of the roster.

The only guys in the league worth $10M/year are McDavid & Eichel in my opinion. (That's a big contract in my opinion). I wouldn't want to have any of the other guys on the books, even if we could acquire them for picks and cap-dumps:

1Connor McDavid

CENTER
$12,500,000
2Artemi Panarin

LEFT WING
$11,642,857
3Auston Matthews

CENTER
$11,634,000
4Erik Karlsson

DEFENSEMAN
$11,500,000
5John Tavares

CENTER
$11,000,000
7Mitchell Marner

RIGHT WING
$10,893,000
8Carey Price

GOALTENDER
$10,500,000
11Sergei Bobrovsky

GOALTENDER
$10,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Analytically, Petro should be worth a $9.2M/year player per the article previously linked. That's fair...but it's also big for a team that's not dependent on super-stars to carry the load.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We've heard an awful lot lately about the lack of negotiations between Newport and Armstrong...but that's not the same thing as saying there's been no communication between Armstrong and Pietrangelo. I wonder how much time Army and Petro spend having one-on-one personal interactions, not necessarily about his next contract, but about Army's vision for the future or explanation for some of the moves he's made. Any good manager wants to address the concerns of his employees and answer questions that they may have. This is essentially Armstrong's time to make his free-agency pitch, and with these guys seeing each other presumably more days than not I doubt the communications are as non-existent as imagined. All it takes is for Petro to make a call to his agents and say he believes in what Army is selling and to get a deal done. I'm still hopeful of a surprise, unexpected announcement sooner than later so that no longer remains the club's largest uncertainty.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Because the Leafs think it's a real possibility of nabbing him in free agency, as with any other star player from the GTA, despite their current payroll structure and tremendous unliklihood of actually pulling it off.
I'm beginning to dislike Toronto as well.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I'm beginning to dislike Toronto as well.

I can’t stand Toronto. They are like Edmonton from a few years ago. I actively root against them due to their fans constant crap.

Just like Boston and the islander fans from last year, but at least we were losing so that made a bit of sense.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That moron thinks that the Blues are in a worse cap-situation than TOR, I'm pretty sure thats all I need to mention.
He did show math in the article that illustrates they can sign him if:
-If he signs for the projected AAV in the article
-They don’t re-sign any of their free agents
-They only have one goalie on the roster
-They don’t carry an extra defenseman
-And if they fill their departures with league minimum players

I would add that they also cannot have any non-LITR injuries.

The “what if” statement there sure is long.

So, yeah they are going to be able to sign him.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The one thing Mirtle said that gave me pause, is that there hasn’t been much negotiation between Pietro’s camp and Armstrong. The only way I could imagine him knowing that would be from Pietro’s agents. Maybe I’m wrong, but I imagine this is the messaging Newport Sports wants out there, regardless of the accuracy. I also think it’s possible Mirtle is just talking out of his ass. But if he’d asked Armstrong, I’d bet heavily that the response would be that he can’t comment on the process but that Pietro remains a priority and a good player for this team. But does Mirtle have sources here?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Toronto is going to struggle to get into the 1st round this year. Dubas has done a number on that franchise.
It's rather beautiful how boy wonder f***ed it up.
The one thing Mirtle said that gave me pause, is that there hasn’t been much negotiation between Pietro’s camp and Armstrong. The only way I could imagine him knowing that would be from Pietro’s agents. Maybe I’m wrong, but I imagine this is the messaging Newport Sports wants out there, regardless of the accuracy. I also think it’s possible Mirtle is just talking out of his ass. But if he’d asked Armstrong, I’d bet heavily that the response would be that he can’t comment on the process but that Pietro remains a priority and a good player for this team. But does Mirtle have sources here?

It may just be no one has moved on their asks. So not much reason to keep hashing over the same things.

Petro isn't signing in Toronto for 9.2m, that's a good chunk less then 9.2m in Stl who can offer the 8th year+taxes

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sources for stories like these are almost always agents. And they are likely just trying to leverage more $ for him from Blues.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Maybe at the time it wasn't anticipated to be a hometown discount, but it certainly played out that way. 6.5M for a top 10 Dman for the entire prime of his career is quite the bargain. When it was signed it was fair value and just got better and better every year.
I get what you're saying, but I think the only rue way you can really judge whether it was a hometown discount is what the dollar amount/cap hit percentage were at the time the deal was signed.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
It's rather beautiful how boy wonder ****ed it up.

While i'm not a Dubas fan, in light of everything coming out about almost literally everyone on the team hating MB in the wake of his firing, I think his hands were tied a bit on the big $ contracts he gave out. If you think you're going to be stuck with a coach that you really dislike for years to come and know the team has no replacement for you, why not hold out and go for the moon on your contract.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't see why a player like Petro would leave his only team to go to a team where he would have to take a discount to be signed when the players that were drafted by that same team wont even take a discount to play there.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I don't see why a player like Petro would leave his only team to go to a team where he would have to take a discount to be signed when the players that were drafted by that same team wont even take a discount to play there.
Cause Maple Leafs. Don’t you know that every player wants to play for them and at a discount. If you don’t believe me just read some threads by their fans.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Home, aren't Toronto his so called home?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tavares sure as hell didn't take a discount to go home. Why should Petro?
This saga ends at summer.

Thing is why Army sign Schenn, acquire then Faulk and sign him fast before seeing how well he fits. Its not like Faulk value would sky rocket after this season.

If you don't priorize your best dmen at franchise first you could ask is there some knowledge that Pietro has told this is last season for him in Blues so that's why Faulk was signed right away.

There is too many 'maybe' in this whole situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad