Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I had a funny dream that the Blues let Pietro walk and he couldn’t get another contract with anyone. He was completely washed up. In my dream I thought, “How did Armstrong know?!”

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't have a source, it may have been Bob McKenzie... but I am sure I read somewhere that Pietrangelo's camp was unhappy that the Blues signed another RD (Faulk), to a long contract. Does anyone think that there is any validity to this?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Petro’s “camp” is a high profile agent or player rep company that has a very bad reputation among GMs. They cut throat to get every dime they can get on each contract

That doesn’t sound like a very team first thing for Petro to do

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't have a source, it may have been Bob McKenzie... but I am sure I read somewhere that Pietrangelo's camp was unhappy that the Blues signed another RD (Faulk), to a long contract. Does anyone think that there is any validity to this?
Army must have talk with Pietro before doing signing with Faulk.

You don't hardball your most valuable player.

Maybe Pietro have told Army he'll walk after this season so that's reason why Army acquire Faulk + sign him right away long term 7-years.

Reactions: STL BLUES

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I would be a bit unhappy if I were Pietrangelo. What was 90% of our first reactions to the signing? Oh god, something is wrong with the Petro extension. They go out and give a different RD full term, while the hold up on Pie's deal is supposedly term. That would really piss me off if I were him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would be a bit unhappy if I were Pietrangelo. What was 90% of our first reactions to the signing? Oh god, something is wrong with the Petro extension. They go out and give a different RD full term, while the hold up on Pie's deal is supposedly term. That would really piss me off if I were him.
I still understand why Army was on hurry to wxtend Faulk ling term? Its not like his value would sky rocket in one season? Oh wait did Army calculated when Faulk plays in our powerplay he would right away explode in point produce?

Something does add right way this whole Faulk extension and Pietro not signed yet.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Petro’s “camp” is a high profile agent or player rep company that has a very bad reputation among GMs. They cut throat to get every dime they can get on each contract

That doesn’t sound like a very team first thing for Petro to do
Frankly, Petro doesn’t owe the Blues a thing. The team got his prime years at a good rate and he was a key factor in leading the franchise to its first Cup. He’s likely looking for his last big payday and if the Blues can’t give it to him, you can bet there is a team out there who will. Armstrong complicated things by signing Faulk to that wholly unnecessary extension. Don’t get me wrong, I hope like hell Petro stays because I think if he leaves that effectively ends the real Cup window, but I don’t expect him to put the franchise before maximizing his earnings. He’s already given this franchise plenty.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The front office knows that without Petro our Cup window is essentially closed and I just can't imagine they'll allow that to happen. I don't know if he'll re-sign during the season or off-season but I'm very confident he will re-sign.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don’t think Petro is worth signing to an 8 year deal or anything in the 9+ mill range, regardless of the term. If he won’t budge then it’s best to keep him for another shot at the cup then what you would get in a standard rental package.

I want to see him stay but we can’t handcuff the team long term over him. It’s hard to pull off but a sign/trade combo would bring back a very nice return!

Ummm... What?

You realize that this is an either or situation, right? Petro is a UFA this summer - you can't make another run and get a rental package for him... The point of rental is to trade him prior to the trade deadline so he plays for another team during the playoffs before becoming a UFA.

Unless you're confusing the terms and thinking about trading his contract rights post playoffs to another team so they can negotiate exclusively with him before ~June 23rd (when the free agent interview period opens up to all teams). Trading negotiating rights returns very little in exchange (think maybe a mid pick) relative to what a rental package will entail (1st + prospect, minimum).

Reactions: STL BLUES

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ummm... What?

You realize that this is an either or situation, right? Petro is a UFA this summer - you can't make another run and get a rental package for him... The point of rental is to trade him prior to the trade deadline so he plays for another team during the playoffs before becoming a UFA.

Unless you're confusing the terms and thinking about trading his contract rights post playoffs to another team so they can negotiate exclusively with him before ~June 23rd (when the free agent interview period opens up to all teams). Trading negotiating rights returns very little in exchange (think maybe a mid pick) relative to what a rental package will entail (1st + prospect, minimum).

It reads to me like he or she is saying that if the front office knows for sure he won't re-sign then we should still keep him this year and let him walk anyway rather than trade him for a rental package.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Ummm... What?

Change “then” to “rather than” and reread it. It’s just a typo.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It reads to me like he or she is saying that if the front office knows for sure he won't re-sign then we should still keep him this year and let him walk anyway rather than trade him for a rental package.

Change “then” to “rather than” and reread it. It’s just a typo.

After finally getting some sleep (insomnia can be a real bitch) that's painfully clear re-reading this when rested...

Clearly Stlblue50 meant "than" here, as opposed to "then".

Reactions: stl76

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Remember last year when half the posters on this board couldn’t wait to get rid of the guy? That was funny.

Glad a couple stuck around for our enjoyment. Where’s that Turnbull fella at? He was the best.

Reactions: Stealth JD

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Frankly, Petro doesn’t owe the Blues a thing. The team got his prime years at a good rate and he was a key factor in leading the franchise to its first Cup. He’s likely looking for his last big payday and if the Blues can’t give it to him, you can bet there is a team out there who will. Armstrong complicated things by signing Faulk to that wholly unnecessary extension. Don’t get me wrong, I hope like hell Petro stays because I think if he leaves that effectively ends the real Cup window, but I don’t expect him to put the franchise before maximizing his earnings. He’s already given this franchise plenty.

I don't see any question whether the Blues will give him a huge contract. It's just a matter of how many more millions he wants. He's set for life if he re-signs with the Blues and he's set for life if he leaves.

It's all up to him.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Too bad Petro doesn’t think like MacKinnon, who’s publicly stated he’s already willing to take a home-town discount on his next deal to keep his team competitive.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Too bad Petro doesn’t think like MacKinnon, who’s publicly stated he’s already willing to take a home-town discount on his next deal to keep his team competitive.
I think the difference is age and we've now won a Cup here. If Petro wanted to go back and play in Toronto or cash in, now is the time to do it. He could go out and say I accomplished what's never happened in St. Louis and spent 10 full seasons there. MacKinnon is still young and has things left to accomplish in Colorado.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I don't see any question whether the Blues will give him a huge contract. It's just a matter of how many more millions he wants. He's set for life if he re-signs with the Blues and he's set for life if he leaves.

It's all up to him.
I mean it’s certainly relative. Assuming he’s managed his money well thus far he could walk away today and everyone in his immediate family should be set. I took issue with the idea that Petro somehow should be expected to leave millions of dollars on the table out of some greater duty to the Blues. Again, I certainly hope he stays as he’s one of my all time favorite players and an integral part to this team competing. But I don’t expect that of him (or any athlete).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
We've gotten 9+ seasons out of him at an absolute bargain. If he wants to actually make what he deserves, finally, I can definitely understand that. I'll be upset if he goes somewhere else, and I honestly still doubt he will just because of the family situation, but he took a hometown discount on his first major contract ever. Expecting him to do it again just seems unreasonable. Pay him, and trim the fat on the roster. We can live without guys like Bozak, Allen, Schwartz, Sanford, Barbashev etc. They certainly make our team better, but they're not irreplaceable. Petro basically is irreplaceable. Our Cup window runs the length of his effective years left in a Blues jersey. He and Binnington are the key. Everyone else(maybe aside from Parayko and ROR) can be replaced.

Reactions: Stealth JD
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We've gotten 9+ seasons out of him at an absolute bargain. If he wants to actually make what he deserves, finally, I can definitely understand that. I'll be upset if he goes somewhere else, and I honestly still doubt he will just because of the family situation, but he took a hometown discount on his first major contract ever. Expecting him to do it again just seems unreasonable. Pay him, and trim the fat on the roster. We can live without guys like Bozak, Allen, Schwartz, Sanford, Barbashev etc. They certainly make our team better, but they're not irreplaceable. Petro basically is irreplaceable. Our Cup window runs the length of his effective years left in a Blues jersey. He and Binnington are the key. Everyone else(maybe aside from Parayko and ROR) can be replaced.
I don’t think you can call his current contract a home town discount. He signed the exact same contract Karlsson did, which at the time were huge money deals for RFA players. If I recall correctly, Doughty was the only one of that age group making more.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I mean it’s certainly relative. Assuming he’s managed his money well thus far he could walk away today and everyone in his immediate family should be set. I took issue with the idea that Petro somehow should be expected to leave millions of dollars on the table out of some greater duty to the Blues. Again, I certainly hope he stays as he’s one of my all time favorite players and an integral part to this team competing. But I don’t expect that of him (or any athlete).
I certainly wouldn't blame the guy for chasing the money; he owes the team nothing and loyalty in sports is for suckers (on both sides). I'm just saying it would be nice if he'd just sign a 8 x $7.5M/deal and call it a day. This Cup-ride could last for a while if that happened...

...but he'd be a fool to not do what's in his own best interests. The team will always do what they believe is in their own best interests, so turnaround is fair play...but the grass isn't always greener as countless guys before could vouch. Hopefully his wife puts her foot down and tells him she doesn't want to uproot the family, because that would pretty much end the speculation once and for all. :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I don’t think you can call his current contract a home town discount. He signed the exact same contract Karlsson did, which at the time were huge money deals for RFA players. If I recall correctly, Doughty was the only one of that age group making more.
Maybe at the time it wasn't anticipated to be a hometown discount, but it certainly played out that way. 6.5M for a top 10 Dman for the entire prime of his career is quite the bargain. When it was signed it was fair value and just got better and better every year.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
If it's about money he will stay in stl (favorable taxes, possible 8 year term). If it's about winningn he will stay in stl. If its about his family, he will stay in stl.

Just because he is not signed yet and we traded for Faulk, who i believe will be gone after the expansion draft, does not point to petro leaving. He is having a great season and if he continues to put up points and gets Norris consideration he may get a couple more hundo from stillman. He has no motivation to sign a contract now, and no other organization can offer him what the blues can.

7x11 would be what another team would need to give him for the blues not to match, and no contender, nor Toronto have the space to do that, plus with cost of living in stl and taxes in stl even with the bump we still prolly nets more living in stl.

Just relax enjoy this great season, root for jake to play well so he is moved without an additional draft pick this off season and get your spot ready for the petro statue unveiling in 2030.

Reactions: stl76 and DoubleK81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->