Speculation: Pietrangelo's future

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by Spektre, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Spektre Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Given the trade today this will be speculated until we know. I've never heard of a trade and sign in the hopes a player can move to another position. Faulk playing the left side is probably out of the equation. There's no way the Blues paying a 3rd pair D 6.5 million.

Does Army know he can't resign Pietrangelo due to money or has he been told he's going to test UFA at all cost?
    Do they try to trade Pietrangelo at the TDL?
    Does Pietrangelo block any possible deal and walk in UFA?
    Do the Blues trade Parayko in order to keep Pietrangelo? (I don' t see this as being probable but is 1 of many possibilities)

I was still looking for Edmundson to get traded but wasn't really expecting this.

2. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To me it either means Petro will be too expensive or we are using Faulk for the expansion draft. Instead of paying Bokk or a premium pick to Seattle, we pay Carolina, actually get use out of the payment in the short-term, and then Faulk goes to Seattle because he'll be the most attractive piece to choose from.

Who knows though, we really don't have much info.

Zezel’s Pretzels and mk80 like this.
  3. Oberyn Prince of Dorne

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I can see the expansion draft angle. Faulk would be an extremely attractive option to Seattle. Not too old, top 4 D, signed long term at a decent cap hit, and can QB a powerplay with ease. I do worry that the more likely scenario is we can't afford Pietrangelo.

Gains and Thallis like this.
  4. brokeu91 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Psychiatrist
    I hope Petro's wife can talk him into staying in St. Louis. That man should retire a Blue. All he did was captain the team to it's only Stanley Cup. If we let him walk and we get nothing for him it will be a huge waste of talent.

nonzerochance and shmotz like this.
  5. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Need details of his contract. Nothing yet on cap friendly whether there is a nmc.

You’d have to think he asked for one. I mean why sign now only to potentially be moved after a year into the extension. If he wouldn’t go to Anaheim why would he want Seattle? Ducks also had 3 quality Dmen same as stl for the ED.

6. Thallis "more effort"

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I really really really really really hope there's something to this expansion draft theory.

7. izzy go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    only way i see petro not being gone after this year is if the expansion plan is correct

8. Em etah Eh Maroon PP

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I mean, I like the expansion theory from a selfish standpoint as I really want Petro to retire a blue, but seems like pretty shitty thing for an organization to sign a guy long term with the intentions of getting the best 2 years of the deal out of him and leaving him unprotected for an expansion team to pick up.

9. Em etah Eh Maroon PP

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Also, I was wondering how long it would take for a Petro thread to pop up. Although I was expecting an appreciation thread, honestly.

10. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You don’t expect Faulk to try to get ED protection? Maybe he maybe not.

Same situation as Anaheim with Lindholm, Fowler and Manson. I’d protect all of the D in the blues and ducks before I’d protect Faulk.

11. Em etah Eh Maroon PP

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I would do the same thing for sure, but just seems like a dishonest thing for an org to do if there are secret intentions of letting him go in two years time. I guess we'll see if Faulk got the NMC for the expansion year or not.

12. Stealth JD Simply the Best! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Petro stays long-term, and selflessly embraces a change to the left side. Afterall, he does have experience playing his off-hand in international play.

13. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Faulk has an agent. He’s not a naive college kid.

Does he have the clout or leverage to get a contract with ED protection?

Seems odd for the blues to give it to him. They have plenty of forwards they need to protect so doesn’t make too much sense to do 4-4.

RORbacon and rumrokh like this.
  14. Alklha Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Friedman reported all last season about how we almost had a deal for Hamilton at the draft in 2018. Armstrong has been looking for a PMD for a while, and a righty as well. So this isn't sudden.

I can spin a theory where this trade/signing makes all the sense in the world alongside extending Pietrangelo. It's not difficult to make this all about Parayko not having a long term future here.

This isn't a expansion draft move. We have enough spots to protect our forwards and we only had three defenseman that we really needed to worry about protecting prior to this. This trade is about the our roster.

15. Em etah Eh Maroon PP

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It will basically come down to whether or not we have Petro. If no Petro, Faulk gets protected. If Faulk already has ED protection then I'm taking that as we are not bringing Petro back. I hope he does not have ED protection.

16. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah, I think Army always liked the idea of having 3 skillful top 4 caliber guys on the ice at all times. Faulk might not what he used to be, but in a 3rd pairing role he'll excel.

shmotz likes this.
  17. 67Blues Got it for Bobby

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Professional Curmudgeon
    It appears he only has a NTC for the first 5 years, so he is expansion draft eligible! I'm sticking with my theory he'll be gone after next season.

Stealth JD likes this.
  18. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Do you have a source?

19. LetsGoBooze Brett Hull is my Spirit Animal

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So much roster maneuvering will happen over the next two years, im not buying this expansion theory at all. Faulk was brought in as a long term play, and i support it.

20. 67Blues Got it for Bobby

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Professional Curmudgeon
    It is in the main board thread.

Stupendous Yappi likes this.
  21. AjaxManifesto Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Optimist In Training
    He will sign with Toronto for a fortune and then they will have 75% of their cap locked up in 5 players.

22. Reality Czech Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That is true, but Faulk did get the long term contact he wanted. A contact that he wasn't getting from the Canes. Now he has that piece of mind going forward, even if he ends up on another team in a year or two. Maybe getting the contract was his main concern and fully understands he may not play all seven years in STL.

Nathaniel Lauharn likes this.
  23. Blanick Winter is coming

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think letting Pietrangelo go after this year would be a huge mistake. He is only 2 years older than Faulk and 3x the player. Also, I have not hesitation signing him to a long term extension at the age of 30. He strikes me as a player who is going to be very effective in his later years, his strength is hockey sense and that isn't going to go away. I have been spending the last few hours on capfriendly looking at a ton of different scenarios. Ideally one of the RHD will be able to successfully transfer to the left side and we will be able to shed Allen, Steen and maybe even Bozak without taking much money back.

I just don't know guys but I am now actually extremely nervous about next summer. That being said I am going to try to push it away from the forefront of my brain and try to enjoy this season and worry about it all after another cup run. :naughty:

nonzerochance, BergMan and Stealth JD like this.
  24. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think everybody agree with you @Blanick about if Pietro walks next offseason its Army's biggest failure and Army should get fired.

Let guy walk away for nothing who bringed to city and franchise his first Stanley Cup. :loony:

GoldenSeal likes this.
  25. HighNote Just one more Cup

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I believe in Army, he must have a master plan. He's been too good at his job lately to mess something this big up. I have faith that #27 will be wearing the Note a year from now. Doug's still got some tricks up his sleeve.

SwivelSchwartz, mk80 and brokeu91 like this.