Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Given the trade today this will be speculated until we know. I've never heard of a trade and sign in the hopes a player can move to another position. Faulk playing the left side is probably out of the equation. There's no way the Blues paying a 3rd pair D 6.5 million.

Does Army know he can't resign Pietrangelo due to money or has he been told he's going to test UFA at all cost?
Do they try to trade Pietrangelo at the TDL?
Does Pietrangelo block any possible deal and walk in UFA?
Do the Blues trade Parayko in order to keep Pietrangelo? (I don' t see this as being probable but is 1 of many possibilities)

I was still looking for Edmundson to get traded but wasn't really expecting this.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To me it either means Petro will be too expensive or we are using Faulk for the expansion draft. Instead of paying Bokk or a premium pick to Seattle, we pay Carolina, actually get use out of the payment in the short-term, and then Faulk goes to Seattle because he'll be the most attractive piece to choose from.

Who knows though, we really don't have much info.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I can see the expansion draft angle. Faulk would be an extremely attractive option to Seattle. Not too old, top 4 D, signed long term at a decent cap hit, and can QB a powerplay with ease. I do worry that the more likely scenario is we can't afford Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Gains and Thallis

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I hope Petro's wife can talk him into staying in St. Louis. That man should retire a Blue. All he did was captain the team to it's only Stanley Cup. If we let him walk and we get nothing for him it will be a huge waste of talent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can see the expansion draft angle. Faulk would be an extremely attractive option to Seattle. Not too old, top 4 D, signed long term at a decent cap hit, and can QB a powerplay with ease. I do worry that the more likely scenario is we can't afford Pietrangelo.
Need details of his contract. Nothing yet on cap friendly whether there is a nmc.

You’d have to think he asked for one. I mean why sign now only to potentially be moved after a year into the extension. If he wouldn’t go to Anaheim why would he want Seattle? Ducks also had 3 quality Dmen same as stl for the ED.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I mean, I like the expansion theory from a selfish standpoint as I really want Petro to retire a blue, but seems like pretty shitty thing for an organization to sign a guy long term with the intentions of getting the best 2 years of the deal out of him and leaving him unprotected for an expansion team to pick up.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Also, I was wondering how long it would take for a Petro thread to pop up. Although I was expecting an appreciation thread, honestly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, I like the expansion theory from a selfish standpoint as I really want Petro to retire a blue, but seems like pretty ****ty thing for an organization to sign a guy long term with the intentions of getting the best 2 years of the deal out of him and leaving him unprotected for an expansion team to pick up.
You don’t expect Faulk to try to get ED protection? Maybe he maybe not.

Same situation as Anaheim with Lindholm, Fowler and Manson. I’d protect all of the D in the blues and ducks before I’d protect Faulk.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
You don’t expect Faulk to try to get ED protection? Maybe he maybe not.

Same situation as Anaheim with Lindholm, Fowler and Manson. I’d protect all of the D in the blues and ducks before I’d protect Faulk.

I would do the same thing for sure, but just seems like a dishonest thing for an org to do if there are secret intentions of letting him go in two years time. I guess we'll see if Faulk got the NMC for the expansion year or not.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Petro stays long-term, and selflessly embraces a change to the left side. Afterall, he does have experience playing his off-hand in international play.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would do the same thing for sure, but just seems like a dishonest thing for an org to do if there are secret intentions of letting him go in two years time. I guess we'll see if Faulk got the NMC for the expansion year or not.
Faulk has an agent. He’s not a naive college kid.

Does he have the clout or leverage to get a contract with ED protection?

Seems odd for the blues to give it to him. They have plenty of forwards they need to protect so doesn’t make too much sense to do 4-4.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Friedman reported all last season about how we almost had a deal for Hamilton at the draft in 2018. Armstrong has been looking for a PMD for a while, and a righty as well. So this isn't sudden.

I can spin a theory where this trade/signing makes all the sense in the world alongside extending Pietrangelo. It's not difficult to make this all about Parayko not having a long term future here.

This isn't a expansion draft move. We have enough spots to protect our forwards and we only had three defenseman that we really needed to worry about protecting prior to this. This trade is about the our roster.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Faulk has an agent. He’s not a naive college kid.

Does he have the clout or leverage to get a contract with ED protection?

Seems odd for the blues to give it to him. They have plenty of forwards they need to protect so doesn’t make too much sense to do 4-4.

It will basically come down to whether or not we have Petro. If no Petro, Faulk gets protected. If Faulk already has ED protection then I'm taking that as we are not bringing Petro back. I hope he does not have ED protection.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Friedman reported all last season about how we almost had a deal for Hamilton at the draft in 2018. Armstrong has been looking for a PMD for a while, and a righty as well. So this isn't sudden.

I can spin a theory where this trade/signing makes all the sense in the world alongside extending Pietrangelo. It's not difficult to make this all about Parayko not having a long term future here.

This isn't a expansion draft move. We have enough spots to protect our forwards and we only had three defenseman that we really needed to worry about protecting prior to this. This trade is about the our roster.
Yeah, I think Army always liked the idea of having 3 skillful top 4 caliber guys on the ice at all times. Faulk might not what he used to be, but in a 3rd pairing role he'll excel.

Reactions: shmotz

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It appears he only has a NTC for the first 5 years, so he is expansion draft eligible! I'm sticking with my theory he'll be gone after next season.

Reactions: Stealth JD

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
So much roster maneuvering will happen over the next two years, im not buying this expansion theory at all. Faulk was brought in as a long term play, and i support it.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He will sign with Toronto for a fortune and then they will have 75% of their cap locked up in 5 players.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I mean, I like the expansion theory from a selfish standpoint as I really want Petro to retire a blue, but seems like pretty ****ty thing for an organization to sign a guy long term with the intentions of getting the best 2 years of the deal out of him and leaving him unprotected for an expansion team to pick up.

That is true, but Faulk did get the long term contact he wanted. A contact that he wasn't getting from the Canes. Now he has that piece of mind going forward, even if he ends up on another team in a year or two. Maybe getting the contract was his main concern and fully understands he may not play all seven years in STL.

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I think letting Pietrangelo go after this year would be a huge mistake. He is only 2 years older than Faulk and 3x the player. Also, I have not hesitation signing him to a long term extension at the age of 30. He strikes me as a player who is going to be very effective in his later years, his strength is hockey sense and that isn't going to go away. I have been spending the last few hours on capfriendly looking at a ton of different scenarios. Ideally one of the RHD will be able to successfully transfer to the left side and we will be able to shed Allen, Steen and maybe even Bozak without taking much money back.

I just don't know guys but I am now actually extremely nervous about next summer. That being said I am going to try to push it away from the forefront of my brain and try to enjoy this season and worry about it all after another cup run. :naughty:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think everybody agree with you @Blanick about if Pietro walks next offseason its Army's biggest failure and Army should get fired.

Let guy walk away for nothing who bringed to city and franchise his first Stanley Cup. :loony:

Reactions: GoldenSeal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->