Pierre Mcguire

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Get over it, eh. The guy's doing a good job.

Now, John Garrett, Peter Loubardias, and Greg Millen suck.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
not sure if I have the exact words..

"Man, Finland only has 1.5 million people and they can make so many good goalies, Sweden has like SIX million.... you think they could make some good goalies? Hahaha!" -Pierre Mcguire

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
While Pierre may go on ad nauseum about some things, he really knows his stuff and I enjoy listening to what he says and most of the time the way he says it. "Monster" may be a bit much, but all these colour guys and commentators are looking for a handle, and that's his. It works for him, and if you compare him to most of the other guys in the business, you will see he is near the top, at doing his job, and he has a huge following all across Canada.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
kmad said:

"Man, Finland only has 1.5 million people and they can make so many good goalies, Sweden has like SIX million.... you think they could make some good goalies? Hahaha!" -Pierre Mcguire
Finland's not THAT small. :)
I think it was more along the lines of 6 million for Finland and 7.5 million for Sweden.
His argument still doesn't make sense though. Just because you have more people doesn't mean you'll have better prospects.

leafaholix*

kmad said:

He said Finland has ******** number of people, and Sweden has ******** number of people, yet Finland produces some of the best young goalies in the world... then Gord Miller said something like, the only option is to invade Finland, or something along those lines.

It was funny.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
ehc73 said:
I think it was more along the lines of 6 million for Finland and 7.5 million for Sweden.
His argument still doesn't make sense though. Just because you have more people doesn't mean you'll have better prospects.

that was why I brought it up... he's bordering on Pejorative Sluration with half the things he says.

leafaholix*

ehc73 said:
That wasn't the point... the point was that Finland and Sweden are similar, Sweden even has a larger population, but the Fins produce elite goaltenders where as the Swedes produce no elite goaltenders over the years.

It's 100%... see Tommy Salo and Johan Hedberg as the top 2 Swedish goalies in the last decade+.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Pierre's understanding of the game within the game is excellent. He points out things that no other colour commentators do. I learn something from Pierre every game.

I have a couple of minor problems with him, however. I find his goaltending analysis to be weak. He doesn't really understand goaltending. Also, I find that he can come off as a bit of a suck up sometimes, but he does counter that with the odd lambasting.

Overall a solid colour man. I don't mind his intense delivery. There's only one person in today's business that I would take over Mcguire: Kelly Hrudey.

Pierre owns Millen and Healey.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy McGuire's work. Sure he may say some dumb things, or be a little over the top, but atleast he keeps people interested. He's entertaining, a lot more than can be said for most colour guys. He's got his own style, he says controversial things, but I respect him for doing that.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Pierre Mcguire is excellent.. I don't see why so many people hate him.. so he is loud and gets worked up about things.. his knowledge of the game is top notch in colour commentary land.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
His enthusiasm is a good fit for the WJC - it's a short, intense tournament. But if I had to listen to him call 40 or 50 regular-season NHL games a year, it'd get old in a hurry.

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
I personally think McGuire is doing a fairly good job so far in the tournament. Sure, he's a blatant Canada homer, but what do you expect.

I also think he secretly wants to marry Jeff Carter, he's obsessed with him, he talks about him during almost every break.

leafaholix*

Knucklez said:
I personally think McGuire is doing a fairly good job so far in the tournament. Sure, he's a blatant Canada homer, but what do you expect.

I also think he secretly wants to marry Jeff Carter, he's obsessed with him, he talks about him during almost every break.
Canadian homer?

I'm not even sure he's Canadian.

:dunno:

The guy has personal favourite players on every team.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
#66 said:
Oh please. If he was old and wore funny ties he'ld be the king of Canada.

:lol :lol:

As for me... I really dislike McGuire. BUT... whenever I see a game without him, I find myself missing him... Right now, the USA-Russia game on RDS, man do they suck. I'd take a few red line comments, a few "monsters" and other Pejorative Slured exclamations (he got "dionned" or whatever) to skip those morons that can't put out a coherent line.

In fact, compared to french analysts, even the "best" ones, McGuire is pure gold. That's kind of sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad