Pierre McGuire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
cyclops said:
That is definately his most famous call for sure.He also had a pet phrase he liked to use whenever Canada in the world juniors was just holding on with about a minute to go in the championship game and up by a goal, it was "it's all hands on deck now for Canada!!" Remember that one? He used it all the time. Romy must dread the day he left tsn to bolt for what he thought was a better gig (did'nt turn out better as he ended up getting axed from what i recall) The world junior tournament was his baby,i just know the guy misses it every year it comes on.

Yes, the "IT IS OVER" call is one of my personal favs... Bob Cole copied that call, I believe this past World Cup, but it wasn't the same. Paul just had that ability to take something simple and make it his own, making something meaningful out of it... that ability is what the true great play by play guys have, something Gord does not.

Part of what makes a great play by play guy is having something that is distinct about them... a trademark call, if you will... something Gord Miller does not have, nor do I see the ability in him to take something simple and make it bigger then you thought it could ever be.

Three simple words, and you have one of the more memorable calls in recent history when it came to Canada and international competition.

Bob Cole, yes the 'senile old Leaf loving Bob Cole' has that similar ability... His famous "Jooooeeee Sakicc" call, one of his more memorable calls of late for example. two simple words, a name, but has it ever sounded so good... While Gord may not be senile yet, he has no where near the natural sound for the game that 'leaf loving' Cole or Paul for that matter have.

Maybe it just goes to show how truly good Paul was/is... he, who has been gone for quite some time, and TSN has yet to find anyone close to as good as he was... a network like TSN you would think should have someone who can give the best play by play guys out there a run for their money....

Gord to I always struck me as a temporary fill in guy... unfortunately, it seem's it's not temporary...I keep hoping and hoping for the day where someone new steps in to the broadcast booth... but with the more time passes, that hope continues to fade more and more, and the realization that Gord is here to stay sinks in... in case anyone hadn't noticed, I really dont like the guy... but thats enough on Gord, the poor guy who was just in over his head from the get go... Paul left big shoes to fill... Perhaps Paul just set the bar way too high, and I'm being unfair on poor Gordy who can't be blamed for how bad he sucks.

Oh, what could have been.

Last edited:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
As far as commentators go, I haven't heard any better than Jim Hughson, Canucks guy. I also like to listen to Mcguire.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Johnny said:
Yes, the "IT IS OVER" call is one of my personal favs... Bob Cole copied that call, I believe this past World Cup, but it wasn't the same. Paul just had that ability to take something simple and make it his own, making something meaningful out of it... that ability is what the true great play by play guys have, something Gord does not.

Part of what makes a great play by play guy is having something that is distinct about them... a trademark call, if you will... something Gord Miller does not have, nor do I see the ability in him to take something simple and make it bigger then you thought it could ever be.

Three simple words, and you have one of the more memorable calls in recent history when it came to Canada and international competition.

Bob Cole, yes the 'senile old Leaf loving Bob Cole' has that similar ability... His famous "Jooooeeee Sakicc" call, one of his more memorable calls of late for example. two simple words, a name, but it has it ever sounded so good... While Gord may not be senile yet, he has no where near the natural sound for the game that 'leaf loving' Cole or Paul for that matter have.

Maybe it just goes to show how truly good Paul was/is... he, who has been gone for quite some time, and TSN has yet to find anyone close to as good as he was... a network like TSN you would think should have someone who can give the best play by play guys out there a run for their money....

Gord to I always struck me as a temporary fill in guy... unfortunately, it seem's it's not temporary...I keep hoping and hoping for the day where someone new steps in to the broadcast booth... but with the more time passes, that hope continues to fade more and more, and the realization that Gord is here to stay sinks in... in case anyone hadn't noticed, I really dont like the guy... but thats enough on Gord, the poor guy who was just in over his head from the get go... Paul left big shoes to fill... Perhaps Paul just set the bar way too high, and I'm being unfair on poor Gordy who can't be blamed for how bad he sucks.

Oh, what could have been.

Agreed. Gord Miller doesn't have the voice for hockey, or any play-by-play for that matter. He should have just sticked to hosting That's Hockey, replacing the god awful Gino Reda. Paul had a good distinct voice, and it was shame that he left TSN. He always said something classic, like "The drive for five is ALIVE...." At that point, the entire Canadian bench swarmed onto the ice, and you could feel the emotion. Gord Miller can't capture the emotion very well.

I like Pierre Macguire for the most part, but he's become somewhat predictable. If you watch a Rangers game that Pierre is calling, you'll see him always slag Jagr. Jagr comes off of his shift, Pierre calls him out for not showing passion. Even the littlest things, he has it in for him.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Agreed. Gord Miller doesn't have the voice for hockey, or any play-by-play for that matter. He should have just sticked to hosting That's Hockey, replacing the god awful Gino Reda. Paul had a good distinct voice, and it was shame that he left TSN. He always said something classic, like "The drive for five is ALIVE...." At that point, the entire Canadian bench swarmed onto the ice, and you could feel the emotion. Gord Miller can't capture the emotion very well.

I like Pierre Macguire for the most part, but he's become somewhat predictable. If you watch a Rangers game that Pierre is calling, you'll see him always slag Jagr. Jagr comes off of his shift, Pierre calls him out for not showing passion. Even the littlest things, he has it in for him.

Yes, I could live with Gord Miller as a host for thats hockey, that I could live with without much problems.... Unforunately, it looks like I have no other choice but to live with him as play by play guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Paul Romanuik/Bob McKenzie was easily the best broadcast team to cover the WJCs. McKenzie's prospect knowledge blows McGuire's away, but IIRC McKenzie didn't like being away from home over the holidays, so has done the intermission segments instead for the last several years.

McGuire is no fool, but he couldn't possibly be more annoying. His hockey knowledge is buried beneath about 10 layers of bluster, and it's hard to sift through all the crap that comes out of his mouth to get to something insightful. Every game he does, he harps on the same things over and over and over again in the loudest, most grating tone possible. Shut up already about the composite sticks ...

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
As much as I hate to admit it, Mcguire is actually growing on me...man that was hard to say! Gord does a so-so job, but atleast I get to watch the game!

I was always a Jim Hughson & Paul Romanuk fan. They could really grab hold of an audience.

I remember watching the WJC on CBC mid-80's I think. Don Whittman was doing play by play...can't remember who did color. Steve Armitage was the studio host. AH, good old CBC :shakehead

Just remember one thing, IT'S A CANADIAN GAME! :yo:

espo*

I wish almost every day for Bob Mackenzie to start doing color commentary in hockey somewhere,someplace.He was great on there and think he's the perfect guy for it.Too bad he's not doing it on some station.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mcguire is great but man oh man gord is brutal. SCOOOOORES what is that its anti climactic. Jim Hughson or Dean Brown would be huge upgrades.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
bert said:
Mcguire is great but man oh man gord is brutal. SCOOOOORES what is that its anti climactic. Jim Hughson or Dean Brown would be huge upgrades.
i like Mcguire but i dont liek gordo at all. Gordo try too hard to show he knew hockey, like he was trying to be the colour guy. this is a message to gord, u have reason to think u know hockey, he is the play-byp-play guy, stick to that.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He knows his stuff but after a few years of hearing him yap on about knowing everyone in the industry and brown nosing everyone he talks to on the radio he's really starting to annoy me.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
chicpea said:
On a similar note, why doesn't the CBC bid for the WJs? It'd be a good way to work some of HNICs younger talent into the system.
And who would HNIC's younger talent be? Greg Millen? Please no, just ask any Canuck fan about him.

chicpea*

goteam said:
And who would HNIC's younger talent be? Greg Millen? Please no, just ask any Canuck fan about him.

Ha. good god No. I tremble with nausea at the mention of that name.

I should have said, it would be a good opportunity for HNIC to get some young talent. Cuthbert's great, and he's already groomed. As a Canucks fan myself, I'd love it if HNIC went after Shorthouse. He's quite young and would be great for years to come.

espo*

CanoeRider said:
the worst is that Terry Crisp...during the intermissions, he blows hot air
Yeah,basically says the same stuff over and over and is really aggravating as he's always trying to be funny but isn't.He's too loud and exciteable(watch for the spit flying when he talks,happens all the time) I don't know why they have him there.

leafaholix*

I can't believe how many of you don't like Pierre.

He gets me going with his little comments like "EL KABONG"... etc...

I love it.

denphis

is it don taylor that did games with jim hughson
i think it was/is, if that is his name he is awesome and funny.

best guy for highlights, jason portuando sportsnet.
great lines like the "buck wild" during minni playoff run
or my personal favorite " i think its time for an ante lakssonen (sp.)

littleD

I've always been a big McGuire fan. I can understand how he can get on peoples nerves though.

As long as I don't have to hear Pierre and Gord give the story about how Anthony Stewart almost made the Panthers team out of training camp last season, I'll be happy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->