Pierre McGuire to jump ship to Pittsburgh?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Jori_18_23 said:
Pierre McGuire off TV? There is a God!

I'm with you. By far the worse colour guy in the business.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
ACC1224 said:

I don't want him here. Come on, Pittsburgh and Parise are in the same division.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Anybody listening to him this year could tell its coming. It seems like he works Lemieux, Crosby or Penguins into every broadcast. IMO it would be a great move by the Pens and he would make a great Director of Player Development. He might grate the nerves when putting on a show for TV but he knows his hockey.

Last edited:

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
ACC1224 said:

I agree he is awful to listen too and is so monotone it puts people to sleep. Thank goodness he is leaving tv. First he was an awful coach and now he is an awful tv color analyst.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
WhalerFan94 said:
I agree he is awful to listen too and is so monotone it puts people to sleep. Thank goodness he is leaving tv. First he was an awful coach and now he is an awful tv color analyst.

Puts people to sleep? Are we talking about the same guy? He's loud as hell.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
WhalerFan94 said:
he is awful to listen too and is so monotone it puts people to sleep.

You must be thinking of the wrong guy. Pierre McGuire approaches a delayed offside with the same passion he'd have if Jesus Christ returned to Earth. He's as annoying as hell but he's way more over-the-top with enthusiasm than he is boring or monotone.

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
He's one of the loudest guys I know. And I personally love the guy. He's smart and intelligent. I enjoy listening to him and would love to have him in Pittsburgh to help out the struggling organization.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Flicktron said:
...I personally love the guy. He's smart and intelligent. I enjoy listening to him and would love to have him in Pittsburgh to help out the struggling organization.

Agree on all counts 100%. Enjoy his passion and knowledge on the air (that's obviously a matter of personal taste), and coming up with the Pens way back when he was acknowledged in the business as a smart hockey guy. He flamed out behind the bench in Hatford, but so what?

Doesn't detract from what he would bring to any organization.

Likewise, I would not bet against John Davidson striving in an executive role, should he accept one.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
McGuire is one of the more interesting and insightful color men or studio men going. A couple of years ago, before he took the 'monster' schtick to extremes, he was just about the only color man who would attempt to break down plays, offer analysis, actually make constructive use of the telestrator after plays/games. He's one of the few who believes the viewer would actually like certain aspects of the game and coaching explained to them, beyond mundane observations so common among color men.

He has admittedly gone over the top on his delivery at times, as his profile on US national broadcasts has increased, but he's still a solid analyst. Pittsburgh's gain will be the viewer's loss, I think. I doubt the replacements will measure up.

Last edited:

hockeyyy

May 27, 2006
Andy Brickley does a very nice job on New England Sports Network ( NESN ) on the Boston Bruins Telcasts.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
he seems crazy these days but i think it's just his tv persona. he's a good hockey guy and was an assistant coach with the pens when they were winning cups. it's speculated that he'll be the assistant general manager.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Awww, gee. Now how am I going to get my daily dose of Phanuef worship?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I love the guy lol, I think he brings excitement to the game whereas most commentators just sound like total idiots (Glen Healy anyone?). Sure he goes over the top, but it gives you something to laugh at while you're watching the game. I'd much rather be listening to him than Bob Cole for example, whose mind is completely gone.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
If this is true then I might actually be able to watch an entire NBC broadcast without being tempted to put it on mute. Does McGuire know that the microphone that he holds means he doesn't have to yell?

joe_shannon_1983*

Sting004 said:
I love the guy lol, I think he brings excitement to the game whereas most commentators just sound like total idiots (Glen Healy anyone?). Sure he goes over the top, but it gives you something to laugh at while you're watching the game. I'd much rather be listening to him than Bob Cole for example, whose mind is completely gone.
I agree with your comments on McGuire.

However, I disagree with your assessment of Bob Cole. I think the fact that his mind is completely gone makes Bob cole very entertaining to listen to.

Nothing is more entertaining than a blubbering senile old fool trying to call a hockey game.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
He has admittedly gone over the top on his delivery at times, as his profile on US national broadcasts has increased...

No coincidence, the cynic in me thinks. Can easily imagine the "network geniuses" :shakehead egging him on to over-do a certain catchline, a memorable "sthick" to sell to the idiot masses. (And, of course, for the paycheck that's a small concession/sellout to make.)

"You know, be the NHL's John Madden!: "Boom!". The country will love you, Pierre, and ratings will soar!"

("Besides, the game itself is never enough entertainment...at least that is what we've sold a generation of gullible "casual" sports fans.") ;)

MacDaddy TLC*

Trottier said:
Agree on all counts 100%. Enjoy his passion and knowledge on the air (that's obviously a matter of personal taste), and coming up with the Pens way back when he was acknowledged in the business as a smart hockey guy. He flamed out behind the bench in Hatford, but so what?

Doesn't detract from what he would bring to any organization.

Likewise, I would not bet against John Davidson striving in an executive role, should he accept one.

I agree with both of you. McGuire is the best thing to happen to a hockey telecast since Danny Gallivan.

turnbuckle*

I could see him going to Pittsburgh as an assistant GM under Shero, that would make sense.

I'm not sure he'd go back as an assistant coach...with all his broadcasting gigs I'd be surprised if he could match his salary. I also don't see he and Therrien getting along really well behind the bench, two very strong personalities who would more than likely clash at some points.

Shero and McGuire were together in the Senators organization in the mid 1990's, and are good friends.

Pierre has had lots of visibility over the past few years (sports fans in Ottawa seem to either hear or see him at least once or twice daily), and no doubt hopes that may someday land him a GM gig.

Pierre likely sees Pittsburgh as an up and coming team, and if they enjoy soem success over the next few years, McGuire will more than likely get a shot at managing a team. Mind you, if the tem struggles, I could also see him going behind the bench as the head coach on an interim basis, and that may be an additional reason why Shero would like to pick him up.

Renion

Feb 14, 2004
I'd hate to see him leave as a color guy. I laughed every time he congratulated an NHL player on a big contract at the Olympics: it just felt like he had some ulterior motives whenever he did it.

I'm surprised he isn't more well liked around here. He's always seemed to me to be one of the most critical/insightful of the analysts.

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
I think McGuire does a great job of breaking down the plays and showing the viewer different matchups, breakouts etc. that you cant notice unless you are at the game.

dekem

Sep 2, 2005
If going to Pittsburgh is what it takes to get him off TV, ok, but put him in a windowless room and don't let him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->