Pierre McGuire, defend your boy

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
sveiglar said:
Well, not that Parise has had a spectacular first quarter, but the other end of that hyperbole-ridden McGuire rant (Nilsson) is in the AHL...

Nilsson's just been recalled from the AHL after a few games.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
417 TO MTL said:
No there isn't...the general consensus of the 'crowd' and public was that Carey Price was a bad pick, which Pierre McGuire agreed with and ripped the Habs for picking him, he then proceeded to knock Carey Price on Team 1200 a couple of days after the draft, when a few days before the draft when there was talk the Sens would pick him...Pierre McGuire was on that same radio show talking how great of a pick he would be for the Sens as he would answer long term needs at goaltender for them :shakehead
Price wasn't considered in the top group for the draft unless a team desperately needed a goalie. Your argument is like saying Bobby Ryan was a good pick for Pittsburg because Anahiem wanted him. He shouldn't have flown off the handle like he did, but he does have a logical reason to do so.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
EazyB97 said:
Price wasn't considered in the top group for the draft unless a team desperately needed a goalie. Your argument is like saying Bobby Ryan was a good pick for Pittsburg because Anahiem wanted him. He shouldn't have flown off the handle like he did, but he does have a logical reason to do so.

I don't know, pretty much every mock draft I saw had Price in the top 15 or so...either way, I don't care if PM thinks drafting Price was bad on behalf of Montreal, just don't rip the kid because he wasn't picked by the Sens...

Which is essentially what he did... I mean I recall hearing him go on and on on Team 1200 when there were reports the Sens were going to pick him at # 9 (4 spots after the Habs, big deal! :shakehead ) he was saying how he had franchise potential and would give Ottawa the stability in nets they've been looking for since their inception...now after he gets picked by the Habs, PM rips the kid up like he's the worst goalie prospect ever...logic states that he would of just ripped the Habs for picking him at # 5, instead he ripped both the organization and the player when just a few days prior he held him up on a pedestal...

As for your comment about Price not being considered among the top group unless a team desperatly needed a goalie :dunno: I don't know, I don't think anyone who would of picked Price had plans on playing him right away, so any team that picked up Price or Rask, was doing so in hopes that their franchise potential materializes in the near to medium future, not right away...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Definately not right away, but the teams rumoured had aging goalies or more in his slot of #8-10. He can definately turn out to be a great pick, but all prospects have that potential. I think it was just the sheer shock of jumping out to pick a goaltender when you have Theodore already and should be able to hand onto him. I think my Crosby example is fairly legit, but more extreme. If Pittsburg passes him up in favour of say Johnson or Ryan, they'd be crucified, but both have the potential to be great players.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
EazyB97 said:
Definately not right away, but the teams rumoured had aging goalies or more in his slot of #8-10. He can definately turn out to be a great pick, but all prospects have that potential. I think it was just the sheer shock of jumping out to pick a goaltender when you have Theodore already and should be able to hand onto him. I think my Crosby example is fairly legit, but more extreme. If Pittsburg passes him up in favour of say Johnson or Ryan, they'd be crucified, but both have the potential to be great players.

Point is, for the Habs brass, @ #5 Carey Price was the best available asset...

Why he somehow becomes a horrible pick because the Habs decided to draft him ahead of the Sens, I don't know...but it seems to be Pierre McGuire's line of thinking...and this is the type of things I hate from him...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
My point is, in the majority of people's mind, Price wasn't the best asset available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->