• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
jcpenny said:
Is he the same guy who said that Latendresse and Price was a bad pick?

Yup!

I'm not saying he's wrong or right...I just want to see how he'll react if ever they both make the Canadian team and are key players and have great tournaments...he'll sound like their biggest fans, that's how PM is :shakehead

Randall Graves*

417 TO MTL said:
While I agree Pierre McGuire's over the top alot of times...I think you're being unfair with Parise
Oh, i'm not looking to bash Parise. He's a rookie who has been a tad overhyped, but where is Pierre's big mouth when he's struggling?

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
At least McGuire have the guts to give his opinion on prospects before they make it. Most journalist and people here don't have this courage. If you ask me the bashers here are pretty pathetic, it's always the same non sense whinning. He likes good players and he's hard on the Habs, big deal! He's one of the most entertaining sports guys in Canada and know hockey very well.

Hope he'll stay on TV for a long time! :yo:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Beatnik said:
At least McGuire have the guts to give his opinion on prospects before they make it. Most journalist and people here don't have this courage. If you ask me the bashers here are pretty pathetic, it's always the same non sense whinning. He likes good players and he's hard on the Habs, big deal! He's one of the most entertaining sports guys in Canada and know hockey very well.

That has nothing to do with anything that anyone in this post has been discussing...I guarantee whoever the leading scorer in this year's WJC's tournament, is going to be Pierre McGuire's next crush...

KH1

I was dissapointed that neither McGuire nor Nilsson was around for the Isles first OLN game against St. Louis. I had been hoping for months that Pierre would have to explain a hattrick by Nilsson, but it wasn't meant to be :shakehead:

Parise isn't going to bust by any means. Give him some time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Beatnik said:

He doesn't have the guts to admit when he is wrong, which is where alot of the bashing in the thread comes in. I wish he was off the air, he just doesn't add anything for me. He gets stuck on certain topics and doesn't move away from them.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
#66 said:
You knew that this thread was coming at some time. From PM's gushing over him to Devil fans chanting "Parise's better".

All in all he still projects to be a fine NHL. IMO he'll be one of those players that you have to watch to see how good he really is. If he scores 60 points, I think his on ice value would be as a point per game player, kind of like Marco Sturm. He makes the players around him better and has very good intangibles.

Oh please, first game of the year, Sid has been hyped to no end and Parise scores in his first game at home and the home town fans have a little fun with a chant and you through that out? :shakehead I'm sure all Devils fans would rather have Sid, just be glad that you do and relax and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
EazyB97 said:
He doesn't have the guts to admit when he is wrong, which is where alot of the bashing in the thread comes in. I wish he was off the air, he just doesn't add anything for me. He gets stuck on certain topics and doesn't move away from them.

I guess most of you nay sayers were also on the Spezza is a bust band wagon during his first 3 years in NHL.

I've been saying this for about 5 years now. People will lose jobs for under estimating Zach Parise.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Yup!

I'm not saying he's wrong or right...I just want to see how he'll react if ever they both make the Canadian team and are key players and have great tournaments...he'll sound like their biggest fans, that's how PM is :shakehead

"Get excited Montreal fans..."

I can just hear it now

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yes he is a complete tool. It's like he has no memory for who he was hyping a couple of weeks ago and thinks the public doesn't either. He reads the stats page of the Hockey News and jumps from bandwagon to bandwagon. You would think someone who is wrong as often as he is would start to feel foolish and pick his spots a bit more but he is too much of a windbag.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
417 TO MTL said:
PM is what I call a crowd pleaser, whatever the popular opinion is, he follows...

For example...during the WJC's, if ever Latendresse plays great, meaning scores goals, alot of hits, etc...then you'll hear how PM talks about him, he'll sound like his biggest fan... :shakehead

I think there is a real contradiction in what you just said...
Was he trying to please the crowed when he bashed montreal for picking Price?

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
A few years back, people were saying this guy was one of the best sports analyst, which he was. He just became a bit more mainstream. His hockey knowledge is by very very far higher then any poster here, except McKenzie.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
RallyKiller said:
Parise 4 goals 4 assists in 26 games so far...where you at Pierre?

I am not about to suggest that Parise will be as dominant in his 2nd year as Staal is proving, but take a look at Staal's numbers in his rookie season...it does take time, and while I think that Pierre is a little excitable about certain players, I also happen to agree that Parise will be a major player in this league before too long.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Parise is in the NHL at 21... that's better than a lot of the kids in his draft class. It's a bit early to be declaring McGuire wrong about the kid.

McGuire blasted the Oilers bigtime for making the trade that let NJ draft Parise, but I think the Oilers are probably more than happy with the decision, considering how their two picks-- M.A. Pouliot and (particularly) J.F.Jacques are playing so far.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I like McGuire, just don't understand how it's okay for him to bury a kid like Nilsson on draft day and it's not okay for people to rip him when his draft day antics turn out to be not so clear cut.

Parise is already in the NHL and playing for a button down organization. He's going to have a learning curve and he's already cleared a hurdle lots of kids from that draft haven't managed (playing in the NHL).

Agree completely it's too early to even question Parise's future. But isn't that what some of us were saying about Pouliot and Nilsson in the summer of 2003?

I think it was.

Randall Graves*

David said:
I guess most of you nay sayers were also on the Spezza is a bust band wagon during his first 3 years in NHL.

I've been saying this for about 5 years now. People will lose jobs for under estimating Zach Parise.
and obviously Parise is of the same caliber as Spezza..

let's look at all the picks in the teens before he was chosen.

10. Montreal Canadiens Andrei Kostitsyn
11 Philadelphia Jeff Carter
12 NY Rangers Hugh Jessiman
13 Los Angeles Dustin Brown
14 Chicago Brent Seabrook
15 NY Islanders Robert Nilsson
16 San Jose Steve Bernier

who will lose their job because they didn't take Parise?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
Parise 4 goals 4 assists in 26 games so far....

True...all of which proves absolutely NOTHING.

Three months into his NHL career - not even at Christmas, not even half-way through his rookie season! - and the critics are out.

Really makes one wonder. :shakehead

Randall Graves*

Trottier said:
True...all of which proves absolutely NOTHING.

Three months into his NHL career - not even at Christmas, not even half-way through his rookie season! - and the critics are out.

Really makes one wonder. :shakehead
This isn't a Parise bashing thread...this is a Pierre bashing thread :)

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
RallyKiller said:
This isn't a Parise bashing thread...this is a Pierre bashing thread :)
On that note, I find PM just yells too much. Everytime he talks, he's either yelling, or building up to a big yell. I also remember his thoughts on the Joe Thornton trade; he almost looked like he was about to cry talking about how Boston made a huge mistake.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Habsaku said:
A few years back, people were saying this guy was one of the best sports analyst, which he was. He just became a bit more mainstream. His hockey knowledge is by very very far higher then any poster here, except McKenzie.

If that is true why doesn't he show it? His knowledge SHOULD be better than any poster here but I don't see it. Unless he is deliberately throwing opinions around just to get a rise out of people. A few years ago he was more connected to the game then as a media guy. Maybe he discovered that people don't want reliable factual insight in their Hockey news. Maybe he wants to be the next Don Cherry. Even though Grapes is despised by many, people watch him just to curse him.
I prefer someone who thinks carefuly about what they are going to say, and uses caution when speculating. It prevents being pointed out as wrong on a regular basis.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
David said:

I actually don't care about his prospect predictions, I think his knowledge is there, but he has alot of trouble applying it during broadcasts. He gets so focused on proving his points that he forces his thoughts to situations and misses alot of other critical plays. That's more of the "admitting he is wrong" that I'd like to see. He always say's makes predictions on powerplays and break-outs and such, but it doesn't usually happen. If he talks about hitting before hand, and it's a non-physical game he'll show highlights of every bump and go crazy to try and make it seem like he is right. This is where my issues come in with him. The man knows his hockey, he just can't piece it together. He needs to pretend their isn't an audience and just talk to the viewers instead of freaking out about everything. Parise will be good, I don't care about that, I hate his broadcasting and I watch most of TSN's games on mute because of it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Man Robinson has no clue how to develop players. All rookies will make rookie mistakes....once Parise makes one it seems he doesn't see the ice for the rest of the game. He is better off in the AHL playing, hard to get confidence plkaying 6 minutes a game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
znk said:
I think there is a real contradiction in what you just said...
Was he trying to please the crowed when he bashed montreal for picking Price?

No there isn't...the general consensus of the 'crowd' and public was that Carey Price was a bad pick, which Pierre McGuire agreed with and ripped the Habs for picking him, he then proceeded to knock Carey Price on Team 1200 a couple of days after the draft, when a few days before the draft when there was talk the Sens would pick him...Pierre McGuire was on that same radio show talking how great of a pick he would be for the Sens as he would answer long term needs at goaltender for them :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad