Pierre-Luc Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The Armada are one of the top teams in the Q. The question is if they disrupt lines that are working. It's easier to swap in a winger than replace a center.

Seems like Dubois isn't playing center at the Canadian WJC camp either.

They aren't a top team because of their offense though. That's why they traded for him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
All of this angst over PLD at C or W is wasted energy. Remember Tyler Seguin? He was a C in jrs and broke in for at least a year and maybe 2 at W before he moved to C in Boston. If PLD turns out anywhere as good I don't care where he plays. The horrors if he turns out to be a 60 pt + power winger.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wennberg played wing most of the time with Djurgården in his draft year. I remember quite a few people saying he wouldn't play center in the NHL since he wasn't good enough to be a center in Allsvenskan (he wasn't even playing in the top professional league in Sweden). But he did play center for junior level teams.

The potential problem with Dubois is whether he learns to play C. There is a different mindset and muscle memory of different positions. He needs time to develop and this is somewhat of a wasted year for him - he's playing against quite a few players who are at a much lower level. But it's time for him to play more at center, take face-offs and gain more experience. For him to make the transition at the NHL level, it will be much more difficult.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
FWIW PLD is playing center tonight for Canada.

Good I was worried they would **** up and play him on wing let him play against the best of the best in his peer group and see what he has. Worst case is he ends up not being what we hoped for and plays wing and that's been ok for a guy like Jenner so far so it would really suck but it wouldnt be the end of the jackets. I have to believe based on GMJKs track record though that he will end up being to offense what Werenski is to our D. I strongly believe Jarmo and decide life choices by the motto WWGMJKD.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Good I was worried they would **** up and play him on wing let him play against the best of the best in his peer group and see what he has. Worst case is he ends up not being what we hoped for and plays wing and that's been ok for a guy like Jenner so far so it would really suck but it wouldnt be the end of the jackets. I have to believe based on GMJKs track record though that he will end up being to offense what Werenski is to our D. I strongly believe Jarmo and decide life choices by the motto WWGMJKD.

Canada is not interested in developing PLD as a center, they are interested in winning a short tourney.

He will likely make it (hopefully) but I don't see him playing center much at the wjc. Strome and Barzal will likely be the top two centers, followed by Roy and Cirelli in the bottom 6.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I am very interested to watch him at the world juniors.

The pre-season game against the Czech Republic is going to be streamed tonight at 7pm on rds.ca. Don't know if it will be available to us in the USA but I wasn't restricted when I went to the website earlier.

This was posted on the mains earlier today:

Lines for tonight's game against Czech Republic

Dubé-Stephens-McLeod
Joseph-Barzal-Raddysh
Speers-Dubois-Gauthier
Steel-Jost-Senyshyn

Brisebois-Clague
Chabot-Myers
Girard-Fabbro
Lauzon-Bean

Mcniven and Ingram

Scratch (And confirmed to make the roster) :

Carter Hart (G)
Noah Juulsen (D)
Anthony Cirelli (A)
Nicolas Roy (A)
Dylan Strome (A)

Source : Twitter Stéphane Leroux (RDS)

My thoughts with this line-up for the next cuts : Dube, Mcleod, Brisebois, Clague and McNiven. If Speers is still injured, I think they gonna keep Mcleod in the final roster

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Did anyone watch the game he played in?

I watched part of the first and the entire second period. It was a choppy game all around and the Czechs didn't look very good. I didn't think anyone on either side made me say wow (except the horrible Czech goalie) but I only watched parts of it. He was wearing #16 (I think, he tucks his jersey in so it may have been #15 :laugh:) and I kept mixing him up with #18.

He didn't stand out much to me but I will pay more attention when the real tournament starts. Glad he made the team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Watching Dubois last night for the 1st time in awhile and hes strong, protects the puck, makes some beauty passes that could have easily gave him a couple of assists and also I noticed he found quiet areas multiple times but his teammates didnt see him.
On the other side of things I think he focused so much on get bigger and stronger it might have hurt his skating a bit, I just dont feel like its where it could be but hes 18 so thats an easy fix

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Watching Dubois last night for the 1st time in awhile and hes strong, protects the puck, makes some beauty passes that could have easily gave him a couple of assists and also I noticed he found quiet areas multiple times but his teammates didnt see him.
On the other side of things I think he focused so much on get bigger and stronger it might have hurt his skating a bit, I just dont feel like its where it could be but hes 18 so thats an easy fix

Reading the mains a lot of people said he didn't look great. It's just 1 game though,

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He's been focusing on player center for his team, and he's been moved back to wing for the junior tourney.I'd give him a game or two.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He's been focusing on player center for his team, and he's been moved back to wing for the junior tourney.I'd give him a game or two.

I'm not worrying yet, but I have to say, I'm also not seeing much info that's encouraging yet.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Reading the mains a lot of people said he didn't look great. It's just 1 game though,

He didnt control things like Id have hoped but he could have easily had a couple points and if that were the case then suddenly he would have been great. He was a bit tentative after his penalty, big change for some of these guys playing international for the 1st time and how tight the officiating is

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He was a bit tentative after his penalty, big change for some of these guys playing international for the 1st time and how tight the officiating is

I've actually wanted to write about his penalties a couple of times, but didn't want to seem too negative. However, he has had quite a few penalty minutes during the last years and also this season, so has it been just an occasional fight here and there or do the minutes consist of smaller penalties?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The fact is that PLD has taken quite many penalties and I have honestly wondered if it's more like more acceptable big ones or smaller ones, which are not so good for the team. Obviously he plays with a big heart, so maybe he gets some occasional 10 or 20 minutes, which don't hurt the team too much? I mean, just a couple of big penalties can really distort the statistics.

I'm still patient with him, but I like to talk about the things with their real names. And Tulipunaruusu, I basically have no problem with you not believing in Pulju, but I've been annoyed by you repeating it so much. I've also thought your words sound pretty arrogant quite often, whether you mean it or not. I'm sure we would get along fine enough in real life. Peace? At least for now :) ?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
So much concern from a few over an 18 year old playing junior hockey. If the CBJ would have traded down to fourth or lower and got an asset from another team this thread would still have similar thoughts, "OMG Jarmo is so stupid. He only got (insert asset) and passed over that super kid who was a consensus top 3 pick."

Wennberg went back to Europe his draft +1 year and didn't dominate either (I can already hear "But he played against men"). It's taken him 2 more years of seasoning, starting on the team in a lesser role and look at his improvement the last two years.

I think Dubois will make the team next year and play in a sheltered role (similar to Joeys first year, be it at C or W) and learn how to be a pro. I will revisit this and begin to worry in 2019 if he isn't progressing into a good NHL player by then.

There have been players in history that have performed at less then their draft position. While I hope that doesn't happen with PLD I will trust that Jarmo and the scouts picked the right guy.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
So much concern from a few over an 18 year old playing junior hockey.

I will revisit this and begin to worry in 2019 if he isn't progressing into a good NHL player by then.

There have been players in history that have performed at less then their draft position. While I hope that doesn't happen with PLD I will trust that Jarmo and the scouts picked the right guy.

I think it's only natural that people are interested about a player that was drafted at #3 and there's nothing wrong about that. Sometimes that brings excitement and sometimes disappointment, but of course only time will tell the final outcome. I'm sure the guys at Blue Jackets are expecting PLD to play in NHL before 2019.

The start of the season has been more or less disappointing for PLD, but of course the second half may have a very different story. The good thing is that Columbus is doing so much better now, so even if PLD turned out to be less than expected, it might not be so detrimental to Jarmo.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Why did you cherry pick only part of my post.

I think it's only natural that people are interested about a player that was drafted at #3 and there's nothing wrong about that. Sometimes that brings excitement and sometimes disappointment, but of course only time will tell the final outcome. I'm sure the guys at Blue Jackets are expecting PLD to play in NHL before 2019.

I think Dubois will make the team next year and play in a sheltered role (similar to Joeys first year, be it at C or W) and learn how to be a pro. I will revisit this and begin to worry in 2019 if he isn't progressing into a good NHL player by then.

I agree with you that it's natural to be interested in someone drafted with a 3rd overall pick, so am I. But to over-analyze an 18 year olds play in junior hockey or to determine whether he was the right choice or not is premature at this point. That will be determined over time (I said 2019). Jarmo has stated that they have been watching him, believe he is doing the things the team want him to do and aren't concerned about his statistics. That's where I'm at with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad