Pierre-Luc Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't hate PLD as a prospect. But only the Columbus Blue Jackets stare a franchise player and a gift from the hockey gods to win the draft lottery, and say no thanks.

raw

Reactions: Mathew Barzal

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Is PLD NHL ready or does he go back to CHL for another season?

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I honestly don't get why there was no deal to be made between our teams? Why would we have to knock your socks off? You could have gotten an extra asset and Dubois at 5, cause no way EDM picks another center, but then again, today is not a day for no ways.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

CHL even if its just for the time at center. Might get a look because he does have a lot of qualities to play now but he times more time in the middle

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I honestly don't get why there was no deal to be made between our teams? Why would we have to knock your socks off? You could have gotten an extra asset and Dubois at 5, cause no way EDM picks another center, but then again, today is not a day for no ways.

Idk. Maybe Edmonton would have picked him at 4.

Honestly, who the **** knows.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It can't be easy to compare players playing in completely different leagues against each other. Canadian juniors makes players look so much better since the majority of the other players are younger or will never play pro. Look at how Filip Forsberg was overlooked since he was being used as a 4th line player on a 2nd tier Swedish team and he's outscoring players draft above him.

Dubois shouldn't play in the NHL next season. He's one of those tweener players who may be too good for juniors, but that's the only place for him since he isn't AHL eligible. He only played center for about a quarter of the games last season. Throwing him in the NHL as a center prospect isn't going to work. He needs to learn, and the problem with the Q is about half of the other teams are terrible and it takes no effort for top prospects to pile up the points on them.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

I don't think this question has an answer currently, the way Dubois works in the summers towards progressing his game is with a lot of passion, he came in to training camp for the Eagles last season a much stronger, faster, more confident and with a much better shot. You can reasonably expect him to improve him even more this summer, and with his size (6'2.5 200+ pounds) he has the size, its more in his hands and how willing he is to make the jump.

I'm on the belief that it's probably 60/40 that he plays for Columbus next season based on following his progression over the years, its kind of crazy the level of improvement he's made to his play in just two short years (and even as last season progressed, once he was playing center full time, I believe his PPG went to around 1.8+ for the 2nd half of the season, just getting better every game).. for a little bit of context, from his 16 year old season to his 17 year old season --

Goals - 10 > 41
Assists - 35 > 57
Points - 45 > 99
PIMS - 58 > 112
+/- from +4 to +40

While being the driver of any line you put him on, making all his older teammates better (Svechnikov, Lazarev, Joly, etc)

I know obviously a lot of you guys are disappointed about the pick but I can probably answer most questions about Dubois or shed any insight possible.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don't think this question has an answer currently, the way Dubois works in the summers towards progressing his game is with a lot of passion, he came in to training camp for the Eagles last season a much stronger, faster, more confident and with a much better shot. You can reasonably expect him to improve him even more this summer, and with his size (6'2.5 200+ pounds) he has the size, its more in his hands and how willing he is to make the jump.

I'm on the belief that it's probably 60/40 that he plays for Columbus next season based on following his progression over the years, its kind of crazy the level of improvement he's made to his play in just two short years (and even as last season progressed, once he was playing center full time, I believe his PPG went to around 1.8+ for the 2nd half of the season, just getting better every game).. for a little bit of context, from his 16 year old season to his 17 year old season --

Goals - 10 > 41
Assists - 35 > 57
Points - 45 > 99
PIMS - 58 > 112
+/- from +4 to +40

While being the driver of any line you put him on, making all his older teammates better (Svechnikov, Lazarev, Joly, etc)

I know obviously a lot of you guys are disappointed about the pick but I can probably answer most questions about Dubois or shed any insight possible.

How would you describe his play style? Shooter? Passer? How's his skating?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
How would you describe his play style? Shooter? Passer? How's his skating?

I would describe his style of play as smart, he has fairly even goal/assist distribution, 42G/57A, whatever the right play is at the time, you can be sure he will make it. Skating is a strength, he might not have a quick explosive start to his stride but i mean that can be worked on.

Couple examples of some of his goals to get an idea of the shoot that PLD has, my personal favorite shot was his first goal in the first video, just a snipe on the powerplay from the slot @ 2:31.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Thanks. Is he more of a goal scorer or setup man?

I wanted Puljujärvi with the 3rd pick, but I don't hate this pick. I trust Jarmo and our scouts.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Is he a no doubt #1 center since I am told that is why they couldn't take the RW?

Dubois played mostly wing last season and only ended the season playing center. The first time he played center was December 2015.

Most scouts projected him as a wing in the NHL and he's listed as a LW on most draft lists. He's called a 2-way player and probably at this point projects as a 2C. The Jackets apparently project him as a center and think of him more highly. We'll have to see. He just turned 18 today, so he's younger than many of the other players in the draft. He's a safe pick that if he can't be a 1st line center, he's going to be at the very least a very capable 3rd line player.

Last edited:

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Dubois played mostly wing last season and only ended the season playing center. He's played all three forward positions throughout his hockey career.

Most scouts projected him as a wing in the NHL and he's listed as a LW on most draft lists. The Jackets apparently project him as a center.

As a Browns' fan I am accustomed to taking guys in the first round with plans to change their position in the NFL. I also am used to that being a huge mistake.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This is about needing a center pure and simple IMO. Doesn't mean it will be a bad decision. Just feels like they punted on best player for positional need. Don't mind it if equal, bit I still think JP is better so at this moment ... feels like an f-up.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Before center he averaged 1.1 pts per game and after center his finished at 1.8 so I guess thats a positive sign

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I said early that Jarmo might select any one else to not look like homer but now that he did it, I think Blue Jackets organisation is smoking something. Pulju is Lindros sized strong player with great skating.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I said early that Jarmo might select any one else to not look like homer but now that he did it, I think Blue Jackets organisation is smoking something. Pulju is Lindros sized strong player with great skating.

Can you even begun to imagine how good Dubois is then?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is about needing a center pure and simple IMO. Doesn't mean it will be a bad decision. Just feels like they punted on best player for positional need. Don't mind it if equal, bit I still think JP is better so at this moment ... feels like an f-up.

If they did it based on position, they f'd up. I don't think we know that is the case though. Maybe they actually thought Puljujarvi was seriously overrated, and Dubois was the best player?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Deleted.. because I am a CBJ fan, and really have little knowledge of PLD other than every mock I looked at for the last 6 months had him top 5. If our front office went best player available at the position of need and hit a home run, then we will look back on this and say PLD being drafted was a great thing.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Before center he averaged 1.1 pts per game and after center his finished at 1.8 so I guess thats a positive sign

The problem with QMJHL (and any junior league really) is there can be such high scoring game that it can make players have high point totals. It's the same with the first half of the season in the Sweden U20 league when the good teams blow out the bad teams and all of the prospects end up with most of their points.

Cape Breton had a 10-3 win over Baie-Comeau, 8-1 win over Val-d'Or, 7-1 win over Acadie-Bathurst and 6-1 win over Saint John. Saint John was a good team, but maybe they got blown out because they were missing their goalie or something. It's hard to put a lot of faith in the numbers when there are truly horrible teams in the league that give up huge numbers of goals.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

No. Lindros was always way thicker and stronger. Puljujarvi is significantly lankier and softer than Lindros was at this point. I don't know if people remember but Lindros was destroying adult men by the time he was this age.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I liked how the scouts talked about him fitting the Columbus Blue Jackets mold. The reports about him remind me of what is said about Bjorkstrand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->