Sportsnet: Pierre Dorion Talks NHL Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's so great to have such a good scout as a GM for a rebuild like this. We have 6 picks in the top ~65! Plus more possibly to come at the TDL.

Reactions: innocent bystander

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I think it’s now obvious that PD wears his heart on his sleeve. He definitely is not the negotiator or contracts guy.

I think if he is calling the shots for the picks we are in pretty good shape. He seems to be put in that position now. Travelling the globe in search of the best. The question is he still manning the phones for the trades inquiries? Probably?

Reactions: derriko and Xspyrit

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Man I am so pump for this draft! Plus with Dorion(one of the best scout in the NHL) in charge I am even more pumped!!!

Reactions: Crosside

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I’ve always defend Dorion. He made some questionable trade when he start at GM but since I have nothing to complain he’s a guy you want in your team to find gem

Reactions: Crosside

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is the draft a rebuilding team needs. Last year was a dud in the context of a rebuild, but really looking forward to this years.

Would be a homerun if he squeezes another first out of Pageau.

His pro scouting has been questionable, but he has all my confidence at the draft table.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is the draft a rebuilding team needs. Last year was a dud in the context of a rebuild, but really looking forward to this years.

Would be a homerun if he squeezes another first out of Pageau.

His pro scouting has been questionable, but he has all my confidence at the draft table.

I think I know what you mean in terms of not having the 4oa pick, but I think it’s waaaaay to early to call Tompson and Pinto, “duds”.

Pinto especially has looked REALLY good for us, and could be a big part of our rebuild.

Reactions: OD99

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I think it’s now obvious that PD wears his heart on his sleeve. He definitely is not the negotiator or contracts guy.

I think if he is calling the shots for the picks we are in pretty good shape. He seems to be put in that position now. Travelling the globe in search of the best. The question is he still manning the phones for the trades inquiries? Probably?

Agreed. That's why MacTavish is such a great pick for AGM. He's covers the areas PD is weak at.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think I know what you mean in terms of not having the 4oa pick, but I think it’s waaaaay to early to call Tompson and Pinto, “duds”.

Pinto especially has looked REALLY good for us, and could be a big part of our rebuild.
Yes, i was refering to it being a dud in the sense of excitement for the draft, not the players chosen. In the context of a rebuild, the quantity and ranking of the picks we had was underwhelming and tempered excitement. This years stable of picks is much more indicitive of a team rebuilding and is significantly more exciting, obviously.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Traduction: Dorion is a good amateur scout.

Should still be a scout where he is most efficient.

This is fourth year as GM. It has been a bumpy ride but he is the ideal person to have as GM right now: going into a crucially important draft.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
As much as I find PD to be annoying and self serving in interviews, and I think he’s full of crap and over exuberant to the point of ridicule, as much as all that, he’s not a bad GM. I think his moves (even the big trades) are panning our well and he’s doing the best he can given the situation. He’s earning my grudging support and I’d like to see him fill out his plan. Don’t @ me. Lol

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol Dorion is an awful gm.

You guys realize we should probably have a cup right now right?

Not to mention a GM who consistently places "character" over skill isn't a guy to launch any type of rebuild. His saving grace this draft will be that hell be drafting too high to be able to screw up.

Last edited:

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016

How would the Sens already have a cup? They held onto players for too long when Murray was around and just kept holding onto hope things would crack with having meh skill. This team needed to be torn down years ago. As much as I hated seeing some great players leave. The Sens weren't going to accomplish much by being a mid/late round drafting team. They never were a team that was able to take the next step. A reset button was greatly needed.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How would the Sens already have a cup? They held onto players for too long when Murray was around and just kept holding onto hope things would crack with having meh skill. This team needed to be torn down years ago. As much as I hated seeing some great players leave. The Sens weren't going to accomplish much by being a mid/late round drafting team. They never were a team that was able to take the next step. A reset button was greatly needed.

We do any better than Alex " I'm already retired" Burrows and we have a cup. Every team Dorion has put together has been deeply flawed.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Not to mention a GM who consistently places "character" over skill isn't a guy to launch any type of rebuild. His saving grace this draft will be that hell be drafting too high to be able to screw up.
I’ve read some asinine things here but you Sir now have the clubhouse lead. Please, please tell me what PD should have done to win a cup ad GM.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
We do any better than Alex " I'm already retired" Burrows and we have a cup. Every team Dorion has put together has been deeply flawed.
You must still be livid about the Dahlen trade. Murray made some questionable trades as well that backfired. Every GM makes bad trades. I don't think PD is a bad GM at all. He's under pressure from a ****ty owner. He's tearing down the team. I bet you were stoked about getting Duchene in a trade. Wasn't Dorians fault that the team had insane drama going on in the dressing room that created a toxic environment and poor play. So what did Dorian have to do? Damage control and try to fix the problems which resulted in a full reset and rebuild. Wait until after a few seasons to see if he's a ****ty GM. I don't question his scouting and prospect knowledge. The Sens are in a very good position with Dorian at the helm.​

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hell we would have had the cup and a 200 ft 1st center if we hadn't traded Zibanejad for Brassard.

You guys realize that's one of the worst trades in NHL history right? People make fun of the Forsberg-Erat trade all the time but Dorions is even worse. It gets glossed over because of the sheer amount of talent that has left Ottawa in his tenure.

Keep sippin that Kool aid boys.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You must still be livid about the Dahlen trade. Murray made some questionable trades as well that backfired. Every GM makes bad trades. I don't think PD is a bad GM at all. He's under pressure from a ****ty owner. He's tearing down the team. I bet you were stoked about getting Duchene in a trade. Wasn't Dorians fault that the team had insane drama going on in the dressing room that created a toxic environment and poor play. So what did Dorian have to do? Damage control and try to fix the problems which resulted in a full reset and rebuild. Wait until after a few seasons to see if he's a ****ty GM. I don't question his scouting and prospect knowledge. The Sens are in a very good position with Dorian at the helm.​

I don't give a f*** about Dahlen he was a good trade chip to use. But for Burrows on his absolute last legs? and also him having to come with an overpaid extension despite us being a budget team?

f***ing idiotic.

Reactions: bert

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I’ve read some asinine things here but you Sir now have the clubhouse lead. Please, please tell me what PD should have done to win a cup ad GM.

You realize that we were basically a goal away from the finals?

Sure we were carried there by one player and the coaching but that's the annoying bit. If Dorion had done anything to get some legitimate support we have a cup.

Instead we probably had the worst defensive and offensive depth out of any of the playoff teams.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Hell we would have had the cup and a 200 ft 1st center if we hadn't traded Zibanejad for Brassard.

You guys realize that's one of the worst trades in NHL history right? People make fun of the Forsberg-Erat trade all the time but Dorions is even worse. It gets glossed over because of the sheer amount of talent that has left Ottawa in his tenure.

Keep sippin that Kool aid boys.
Nope they wouldn't. You can't base Zibanejad then to now. He was lazy and wasn't as dominate as he is now. People were calling him out to be traded. You can't predict when players will just get it every player develops at his own time really. Brassard at the time was the better player. Your argument is not realistic at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->