Piecing Together Oilers' Opening-Night Lineup

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Does everybody agree? Is this a consensus on the forward lines? Or do most prefer to flip-flop Purcell and Yakupov in the top nine? Thoughts?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Does everybody agree? Is this a consensus on the forward lines? Or do most prefer to flip-flop Purcell and Yakupov in the top nine? Thoughts?
I see the same thing as you except I have Drai and Pouliot switched. Give Yak a vet to work with.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
That seems to be the best and most balanced line up to start, of course things will change though, injuries will happen etc.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
That's not a bad idea, McDeathbyCheerios, but I think Pouliot's pre-existing chemistry with Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle will probably cement his status on that line, at least to start. I could be way off, though, we will see in a few days (Friday morning's line rushes) what exactly Todd McLellan has in mind after a summer to think about combinations. To me, the placement of Yakupov and Draisaitl will be the most intriguing, but I'm sure the coaching staff and management will downplay the lines as experimental.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Looks good. In my mind, the following should pretty much be set:

Pouliot - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - x
x - Lander - x
Hendricks - Letestu - x

OP's solve for x is as good as any. It would be awesome if Pitlick, Pakarinen, and/or Miller could take the next step as IMO all three have qualities that would be useful to the team.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That's not a bad idea, McDeathbyCheerios, but I think Pouliot's pre-existing chemistry with Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle will probably cement his status on that line, at least to start. I could be way off, though, we will see in a few days (Friday morning's line rushes) what exactly Todd McLellan has in mind after a summer to think about combinations. To me, the placement of Yakupov and Draisaitl will be the most intriguing, but I'm sure the coaching staff and management will downplay the lines as experimental.
It depends on where Purcell goes really

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I really don't like Yak on the third line. If we want him to perform up to his potential then I think he needs top 6 minutes. My exception is if maybe Draisaitl makes the team because I think a
Lander-Draisaitl-Yakupov 3rd line could be sweet. But other than that I like:

Pouliot-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Mcdavid-Yak
Draisaitl-Lander-Korpikoski/Purcell (Korpikoski is a LW iirc so maybe switch them around)
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski/Purcell

But let's make sure Drai is actually ready this time. Not like last year when he didn't deserve to make the team and didn't even look good in last year's golden Bears game (not that it means a lot).

Last edited:

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
I ran into Todd McClellan on Sunday, I asked him how he will decide the lines, he said HFboards is his go to source for all things line related, he said and i quote ' there is really nothing more to it, i go online and see what the fans want'.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
LD-McDavid-Yak will be a beast line in 3 years. That line has everything

and a Canadian, German and Russian

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Korpikoski
Draisaitl-Letestu/Lander-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu/Lander-Purcell

McLellan in San Jose always had a guy on each line that was a.) defensive responsible and b.) could go in and dig out pucks. In theory a Hall-McDavid-Yak line is great, but I don't think they have enough defensively or forechecking wise to play that role consistently.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Not necessarily what I want personally, but I predict:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Purcell
Korpikoski-Lander-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Gazdic

Judging by McLellan'a comments, he's cheering for Gazdic to succeed this year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I prefer Yakupov on the McDavid line, but it definitely all depends on how Purcell does. He's proven he can produce at a high rate, so he may earn that spot over Yak. I'd imagine they'll try both of them on that line though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad