Picking up speed while taking tight turns

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
Hi guys, hoping somebody could help me out with a skating skill.

There was one all-star skills comp where Alfredsson and Rick Nash went at it in some sort of puck control contest. After Nash won, one of the commentators talked about how Nash continued to pick up speed even while he took tight turns as he rocked his outside foot back and forth (I think that's how it went). I also remember them making it clear that Alfie did not do this while going through his pylons.

I have tried this on the ice but I can't figure out how what I am supposed to be doing quite right. Is anyone able to explain this to me, or post a link that explains this technique? Thanks

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Easy answer is just doing a cross over through the turn, but don't know if that's exactly what Nash was doing.

Or pushing with the outside as if doing a C-cut like in the 2nd part of the video.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The only thing I can think would be staying low to the ice with the knees bent, gliding on the outside edge of the inside foot, and then pushing the outside foot straight out and back...kind of like a regular stride but with the inside leg bent and on the outside edge.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Or pushing with the outside as if doing a C-cut like in the 2nd part of the video.

I think this is it. I know how to do it, but don't really know how to describe it. It's like you're bent down low in a tight turn, but you're pumping your outside leg a little bit (inside edge of outside skate) as you go around the circle.

Have you ever tried to start from a stand-still without taking actual strides? Like you kind of widen your stance, then tighten it, then widen it (etc., etc., etc.) and gain your momentum that way? Well it's kind of like that, but only using your outside skate to push (and using your inside skate for balance and to stay in the turn).

Ugh, I hope that makes sense.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for the help guys, I am pretty sure it's what Pog is talking about. I'll keep trying until I figure it out.

ktang

Feb 10, 2006
I remember Nash vs Alfredsson in that slalom race. Nash won easily; before the race the commentators thought that Alfredsson would win, because he is European and smaller.

Nash used skidded turns (skidding on the inside skate, cutting on the outside skate), so his turns around the cones were much sharper. Alfredsson used gliding turns, so his path through the course was a lot longer. Both crossed over after exiting each turn. After 2 cones Nash was ahead to stay.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
I remember Nash vs Alfredsson in that slalom race. Nash won easily; before the race the commentators thought that Alfredsson would win, because he is European and smaller.

Nash used skidded turns (skidding on the inside skate, cutting on the outside skate), so his turns around the cones were much sharper. Alfredsson used gliding turns, so his path through the course was a lot longer. Both crossed over after exiting each turn. After 2 cones Nash was ahead to stay.

Are you talking about what you see between 0:18 and 0:24?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAm7wlJirc
Short pushes with the outside leg. Helps building up speed in turns.

Thanks guys very helpful, great memory ktang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad