Picking Reinhart vs Draisaitl and where it ranks in bad decisions?

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I wanted Draisaitl at 2 so bad and was upset when Reinhart was selected instead ;(

Yes, Draisaitl is dominating right now, but you really can't be upset walking away with Reinhart. I think he's 1.0 PPG+ & a slower developer.

You can't blame Murray fully, Samson was widely regarded as a potential #1 or 2.

Reinhart really hasn't even scratched the surface of his full potential. He is better every year.

But if only the scouts had the canny judgement of a clearly educated casual fan like me who clearly knows a LOT about hockey. :cool:

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
So basically, they can't make their own decisions? Know who EVERY mock draft fromj every scout % insider in hockey didn't have going #7 in 2011? Mark Scheifele. Did it mean that Jets weren't allowed to pick him on the spot? No.

Feel free to intentionally misunderstand/misinterpret what I posted... You're reaching hard to get to a weak point though.

The GMs with high hit percentages on their draft picks don't go 'off the board' very often - especially just to prove a point.. Consensus top picks (ie; safer picks) are rated that way for a reason - hundreds of scouts & hockey managers. Have compiled hundreds of man-hours & feel they have the best tools to succeed long-term in the NHL. Is my point a knock on Drai, Pasternak or Scheifele and their draft stock? No, not at all - they just developed later in the the scouting process or earlier in their pro careers respectively. Hurray for the lucky GMs who got them locked up...

Bucking central scouting ratings on a 2nd O/A is a quick trip to the hero-or-zero line...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He had multiple stints at centre -- he's not good enough. Plus, he's horrible at faceoffs. Overall, a good player but will never be great.

he has not had multiple stints at center. He had maybe 20 games at center during the abysmal tenure known as Housley first year. EVERYBODY played bad, even He who shall not be named.

As for the lack of faceoff wins, those are mostly due to Eichel getting kicked out, to which he has to be careful not to be too aggressive otherwise we get a penalty. That kind of slows down guys.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I was not going to be unhappy with Draisaitl as the pick, but I never entertained the idea knowing it was probably going to be Reinhart. I was more relieved that Bennett wasn't taken, so I still consider it a win taking Reinhart at #2 when the consensus order was Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl. Nothing to complain about at all.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
he has not had multiple stints at center. He had maybe 20 games at center during the abysmal tenure known as Housley first year. EVERYBODY played bad, even He who shall not be named.

As for the lack of faceoff wins, those are mostly due to Eichel getting kicked out, to which he has to be careful not to be too aggressive otherwise we get a penalty. That kind of slows down guys.

You're dreaming if you think he can be a quality NHL centre

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
just saw this thread, didn't go through it, but I have to say Stokes was correct, and took a lot of ribbing (no one else really stands out except him). I wanted one of the Sam's, and really wanted Rhino. really glad we got him, and never really thought Drai would be as good. I was wrong...… again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad