Picking Reinhart vs Draisaitl and where it ranks in bad decisions?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
For starters, I'm not saying I wouldn't have picked Samson but the gap is getting pretty wide. The gap between Reinhart and Draisaitl might be wider than gap between Eichel and McDavid.

Draisaitl was dominant last year and getting better and I know everybody will say McDavid factor but maybe have Leon helps McDavid the other way.

Hindsight is totally unfair and this isn't like the G-d awful O'Reilly trade but if we pick Draisaitl this team might be a lot different.

Okay, let me have it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I have less confidence in the Sabres’ coaching staff to develop any player outside of Buffalo to where they are now.

Reactions: kirby11

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I was hoping the Isles would cough up that pick and Buffalo could use that to trade up and get LD. I wanted Sam and Drias both. Imagine them on a line together? Wow.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
This is stupid. EVERY mock draft from every scout & insider in hockey had Ek, Samson & Sam ahead of Draisaitl. THIS IS NOT A SABRES SCOUTING DEPT OR ORGANIZATIONAL ISSUE. The Oilers could just as easily ended up w/ Dal Colle or Bennett - there is a ton of 'fluke' involved in predicting an 18yo juniors future worth & development.

...and obviously they should have picked Datsyuk at 170th o/a way back in 1998 as well... How could they not have known?!? Or drafted Martin St Louis any time in 1996?! They're so bad at assessing talent!!!

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Reinhart and Sam Bennett were considered to be more in contention for 2 than Leon was. Leon was considered a fringe candidate for 2 at best.

I can’t fault a franchise for taking the nearly consensus pick at number two overall.

it is what it is really. Prospects are lotto tickets unless you’re getting a bonafide elite+ prospect like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, etc

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reinhart and Sam Bennett were considered to be more in contention for 2 than Leon was. Leon was considered a fringe candidate for 2 at best.

I can’t fault a franchise for taking the nearly consensus pick at number two overall.

it is what it is really. Prospects are lotto tickets unless you’re getting a bonafide elite+ prospect like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, etc
I was one of the Bennett supporters. Ouch :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I beat up Murray a ton but I can’t fault him with his pick of Reinhart at all. Sam has turned into a very good two way top 6/top line winger. At the end of the day thats what you need to do with a 2nd overall pick and he did.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I beat up Murray a ton but I can’t fault him with his pick of Reinhart at all. Sam has turned into a very good two way top 6/top line winger. At the end of the day thats what you need to do with a 2nd overall pick and he did.

Agreed - wasn’t Reinhart considered to be the “safest” pick at 2 out of the 3?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I disagree with just about all your revisionist Murray history, but the one thing you fault him for was letting Abysmal convince him he was a wing. To do this day I see that as one of the unforgiveables.

Reactions: kundahlini

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I disagree with just about all your revisionist Murray history, but the one thing you fault him for was letting Abysmal convince him he was a wing. To do this day I see that as one of the unforgiveables.
Revisionist history? :laugh::help:

Also way to miss the point. You have to hit and get a top player with that pick. We did. End of point.

Save you stuff about Murray and me for another thread.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Revisionist history? :laugh::help:

Also way to miss the point about the pick.
You have to hit and get a top player with that pick. We did. End of point.

save you silliness about Murray and me for another thread.
We got a great player. I simply point out that Murray said "we are drafting a center." Somewhere along the line the memo never made it to the coaching staff.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
We got a great player. I simply point out that Murray said "we are drafting a center." Somewhere along the line the memo never made it to the coaching staff.

He can’t play centre and never could — Reinhart is good but cannot dominate. Calling him the safe pick is a good way to put it. The consensus was Ek at #1 and then some disagreement between 2-4 order.
As I said, i would have picked Reinhart and I’d be a bad GM.
Picks like Pasternak are where you earn your money.
But if it’s weak draft — and it was — maybe you move around.
I don’t hate Reinhart at all but he’ll be making $8-$9/million and I doubt we can do much damage with him as our 3rd or 4th best paid player.
Of course, maybe it is all luck because you look at other oiler misses.
I think GMs get bogged down in consensus picks when they are in top 3 — just don’t want to look stupid.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Relive the 2014 Draft in every excruciating detail

Do you believe Sabres front office really thought Sam Reinhart was BPA in 2014 draft?
2014 NHL Draft: Buffalo Sabres draft review
2014 Draft: Which Forward Do You Want?
2014 Draft: Ekblad vs. top forward available
2014 Mock Draft By Team Board Vote
Prospect Info: - 2014 Draft - Which Sam do you prefer: Reinhart vs. Bennett

Do the search yourself to find the exciting 7 part series leading up to the draft and the thrilling 2 part series on the actual draft.

upload_2019-11-15_21-50-55.png

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Yeah alright... would of been nice to have pasta/drai but lets not act like we drafted MDC, I'm very happy with Reinhart he is a great player. I really believed we'd get McDank and then have Tim murray trade risto for Domi to reunite that Sick World junior line Domi-Mcdavid-Reinhart I think it was ? or maybe im thinking of Domi-reinhart-duclair ? I don't know im rambling now, i like samson :)

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
He can’t play centre and never could — Reinhart is good but cannot dominate. Calling him the safe pick is a good way to put it. The consensus was Ek at #1 and then some disagreement between 2-4 order.
As I said, i would have picked Reinhart and I’d be a bad GM.
Picks like Pasternak are where you earn your money.
But if it’s weak draft — and it was — maybe you move around.
I don’t hate Reinhart at all but he’ll be making $8-$9/million and I doubt we can do much damage with him as our 3rd or 4th best paid player.
Of course, maybe it is all luck because you look at other oiler misses.
I think GMs get bogged down in consensus picks when they are in top 3 — just don’t want to look stupid.

Pasternak was passed over by 24 scouting depts & GMs in a weak draft... NOBODY, especially Chia predicted he would have turned into what he has - including BOS... I'm sure they hoped whoever they got there would excel, but they aren't blessed w/ psychic abilities. There's a huge stroke of luck there.

Reactions: Hasek

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Yeah alright... would of been nice to have pasta/drai but lets not act like we drafted MDC, I'm very happy with Reinhart he is a great player. I really believed we'd get McDank and then have Tim murray trade risto for Domi to reunite that Sick World junior line Domi-Mcdavid-Reinhart I think it was ? or maybe im thinking of Domi-reinhart-duclair ? I don't know im rambling now, i like samson :)
The line was Domi _Reinhart_ Duclair. McDavid centered Nic Petan and Curtis Lazar.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You think that a team that has not developed a player in... forever? would be getting the same level of play from anyone else they selected in 2014?

Reactions: toomuchsauce

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I was a big fan of Kris Baker and his Sabres prospects site. Then he said Reinhart was better than Draisaitl. This was like 2 years post draft when it was already crystal clear Reinhart was nowhere near Draisaitl. I don't think I ever visited sabresprospects after that. Guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Anyways yeah, Reinhart was the wrong pick. Not just because of Draisaitl though. There's a bunch of guys from that draft that would have been much better fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad