Picking a TV

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm trying to get a new TV for my dad, and there's four particular models I'm looking at right now - but they aren't all available locally for me to look at, and I'm not finding a lot of detailed information - I'm wondering if anyone here has any input - I'm just going to copy and paste a post I made on another forum:

So, I'm trying to help my dad pick a TV - and I have four models I'm looking at in particular, but I'm not finding information as detailed as I'd like. I'm wondering if anyone might be able to give some insight. The reasons these four are being looked at: size, price, and they are all available at Costco. They are also all Vizios:

M75-E1
E75-F1
E70-E3
D70-F3

The one we are leaning toward the most is the M75-E1. As I understand it, the model lines are ranked, from worst to best, D, E, and M (yes, I know P is better) - but I noticed that the M75-E1 is a 2017 model, and the E75-F1 is a 2018 model. I noticed the E70-E3 is 2017 while the D70-F3 is 2018.

I have noticed that both of the 2018 models (E75-F1 and D70-F3) have HDMI 2.0 on all HDMI inputs, while the 2017 models each have one 2.0 port and the rest are 1.4. Having ALL the inputs be 2.0 would be nice, but as long as at least one is, I guess that's workable.

The E70-E3 doesn't list HDR - if it doesn't have it, I think that may eliminate it. I'm guessing that the D70-F3 won't compare to either the M75-E1 or E75-F1 - is that correct?

If any of my assumptions so far are incorrect, please correct me. Otherwise, I think it comes down to the M75-E1 and E75-F1. Is the M75-E1 better as it's the higher line, or does the difference in model year put the E-75 over the top? They both list 12 bit HDR (Dolby Vision) - I don't know if that means they are actually 12 bit panels? The one site I looked at seemed to indicate that the E75-F1 is actually 8 bit, but simulates 10 bit with FRC, and that the M75-E1 is a true 10 bit.

Ah - viewing angle is also important - not every seat in the room is going to be directly in front of the TV. A tuner is semi-important - if the TV is good enough, we'll get it without a tuner, and I'll pick up an external tuner for him - but if two TV's were otherwise pretty close, the one with the tuner would likely win out.

Any input? Anything I'm missing? Before someone suggests "such and such a TV for $500 more is WAY better", the $2300 for the 75 inch TV's is pretty much the upper limit - and neither of us are hagglers, nor do we particularly want to buy from another store - due to warranty and return policies - unless there is a very compelling reason to do so. If there is a fantastic TV that is in the 70 class instead of the 75 class, I would be happy to consider it - but we probably wouldn't go below the 70 inch class.

Thanks for any insight, help, or suggestions you can make!

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I was looking for a new TV a few months ago. For me it depends on what size you are looking for and the amount of $ you would want to spend. I listened to online reviews and bought a Roku TV that was supposed to be good. I hooked it up and my 9 year old TV looked better so I wouldn't pay attention to reviews because these days anyone selling them could pay for good reviews. I returned it and actually went to the store to look at the TVs. I ended up with a Sony XBR55X900E and loved it. I did not look at any Vizio models though. I did get it thru Amazon and it came with free shipping and a 4 year extended warranty for $70. Not sure it this helps at all.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I was looking for a new TV a few months ago. For me it depends on what size you are looking for and the amount of $ you would want to spend. I listened to online reviews and bought a Roku TV that was supposed to be good. I hooked it up and my 9 year old TV looked better so I wouldn't pay attention to reviews because these days anyone selling them could pay for good reviews. I returned it and actually went to the store to look at the TVs. I ended up with a Sony XBR55X900E and loved it. I did not look at any Vizio models though. I did get it thru Amazon and it came with free shipping and a 4 year extended warranty for $70. Not sure it this helps at all.
The 4 year extended warranty - is that a normal Amazon offer that you can get on any TV that Amazon themselves offer?

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
The 4 year extended warranty - is that a normal Amazon offer that you can get on any TV that Amazon themselves offer?
The description is:

Assurant 4-Year Television Protection Plan ($900-$999.99)

• Free in-home service for TVs 37" and larger.
  • Free 2-way shipping for smaller TV repairs.
  • Surge protection starts day one; mechanical and electrical failure are covered after the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
  • Fully transferable if you sell or give as a gift. Cancel anytime.
  • Products used for commercial or business purposes are excluded

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The description is:

Assurant 4-Year Television Protection Plan ($900-$999.99)

• Free in-home service for TVs 37" and larger.
  • Free 2-way shipping for smaller TV repairs.
  • Surge protection starts day one; mechanical and electrical failure are covered after the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
  • Fully transferable if you sell or give as a gift. Cancel anytime.
  • Products used for commercial or business purposes are excluded
Thanks!

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Have you checked out the rtings reviews for each of those models?
I own an M65 and I really like it

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Have you checked out the rtings reviews for each of those models?
I own an M65 and I really like it
I did... we ended up getting him an M65-F0. I was concerned about the Vizios as every last review criticized them for viewing angle - but after taking my dad to the store where we could both check out the viewing angle, it was much better than reviews indicated. With how they were worded, I was expecting something akin to the old TN poor angle washout!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad