Pickin' Brains II: Top WHL D-Man for 2011

Guy Flaming

I've polled ten NHL scouts on a series of questions, either specific players or on topics, and have started releasing the results.

Last week the question was in regards to Edmonton Oil Kings leading scorer Dylan Wruck.

Today I have released the results from the 2nd question: Who is the top WHL defenceman eligible for the 2011 NHL Draft?

Here is the link.

Some of the comments I got were what I expected, lots that I did not, but I was absolutely stunned by the amount of differing opinions scouts could have watching the same players. I found it to be really interesting and I hope you will too.

Leave comments there or here, I'm expecting a lot of differing opinions amongst fans too.

PS: Ryan Strome is our 2011 guest tonight on the show and we're previewing all the CHL playoffs and the NCAA bracket as well.

Cheers,

- Guy
Host
The Pipeline Show
TEAM 1260 Edmonton
www.thepipelineshow.com
twitter.com/ThePipelineShow

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Wow I'm astonished that 4 NHL scouts had Morrow above Siemens.

I want to see what Renegade will say about this.

Very very intresting though. Thanks for posting this.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It is curious that an area where scouts seem to be divided between the two (Morrow and Siemens) is head for the game, some scouts liking one guy better, other scouts - the other player. Makes you wonder if they just saw bad stretches of hockey, or did some guys see more games where tendencies were exposed more?

In the end its still a crapshoot though.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Wow. Is it Siemens low or Morrow high? I guess Morrow could be off the board pick in draft day. Like McIlrath #10.

E: oh there is Musil too

Last edited:

Guy Flaming

Wow. Is it Siemens low or Morrow high? I guess Morrow could be off the board pick in draft day. Like McIlrath #10.

E: oh there is Musil too

It couldn't be considered off the board since those two are ranked side by side by Central and Morrow was ahead early on plus you're learning that based on this, many teams have them split down the middle. Looks like they are neck and neck to me despite what most fans might suggest.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Pretty shocked to read this earlier this afternoon to be honest. I have only had a chance to see Morrow twice this season and he never really impressed me that much either time. But, I will take the scouts words for it that he is as solid as he is.

But, we see it every year, some teams have players ranked WAY differently than others. And hell, this is just scouts opinions, not even team opinions, so it will very that much more.

If this does tell us anything, it's that a guy like Morrow could be an "off the board" selection and go in the top 15. It doesn't really say that Siemens will slide out of the top 15 or 20.

arsmaster*

I will agree, from what I have seen of Morrow, I didnt see a better player than Siemens.

Thought he was actually closer to the later end of round 2 than middle of round 1....should get lots of Playoff views, Portland has a good chance of getting through in the west.

-Really enjoyed the write up on the blog though Guy, that is exactly the type of stuff people like most of us are looking to read. Great Job!

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad