Pickard & Berra

dagame7474

Jan 9, 2006
Philly
Ok. Now I know they sometimes send young goalies down during the All-Star break so they can get some work in instead of sitting around waiting so I figured that was the case with Pickard. But I am not quite understanding why Berra was called back up. Pickard has been great. Berra has been atrocious. I like the Avs but they are not my team and I don't live in Colorado so I don't know too much on this situation, but I just read a report that Pickard will likely remain in the minors unless an injury to Varlamov or Berra. So am I missing something? What's the deal with that?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
They want Picks to get playing time, instead of sitting on the bench.
They might call him up for back-to-back games, or when Varly needs a rest.
If someone is going to sit and rot, it's better for Berra to be that guy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Berra was sent down for "conditioning" so he could only stay in the AHL for 2 weeks. Pickard also needs to play some games so he'll be able to do that now. I don't think Roy wants Berra starting any games so maybe they'll bring Pickard back up if Varly needs a rest on a back to back.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As others have said, Pickard may have "earned" the backup job but he's 22 years old and it doesn't make sense for him to rot on the bench when Varly is going to start 90% of the games. Berra has one game left in the minors tomorrow and then he'll be back after the all-star break.

Going forward I really am not sure where this goes. Roy could call up Pickard for a few back to backs or just live with putting Berra in there. Though early Feb there is a back to back Minnesota/Winnipeg and what he does there will be really telling. I don't think Roy has much faith in him but I don't think it's so easy as to just get rid of Berra. Pickard will be in a similar spot next year of being young and needing playing time. Tbh I think they might suffer through with Berra and get some use out of him for a while.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
As others have said, Pickard may have "earned" the backup job but he's 22 years old and it doesn't make sense for him to rot on the bench when Varly is going to start 90% of the games. Berra has one game left in the minors tomorrow and then he'll be back after the all-star break.

Going forward I really am not sure where this goes. Roy could call up Pickard for a few back to backs or just live with putting Berra in there. Though early Feb there is a back to back Minnesota/Winnipeg and what he does there will be really telling. I don't think Roy has much faith in him but I don't think it's so easy as to just get rid of Berra. Pickard will be in a similar spot next year of being young and needing playing time. Tbh I think they might suffer through with Berra and get some use out of him for a while.

Pretty much agree with you

I think Berra will get the chance to start again before Pickard comes back up. If he is similarly atrocious as before that will be it.

As for going forward, I'd be willing to wager that unless Berra really improves, Pickard will be the backup next season and KSE will either pay Berra to be in the AHL, or work out one of those fun deals where he gets loaned/voids the deal to play across the pond. (not sure all the rules around that process though).

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Part of punishing someone like they have Berra, is giving them a chance to prove you wrong. Berra needs to show more in practice. Roy hasn't given up on him yet, but I would guess it is close. If Berra is the same as he was before he went down he probably goes on waivers.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is not really an issue. After this season they'll have their two goalies, Varly and Pickard, Berra will go somewhere, AHL or another team, but the Avs will end up throwing away a 2nd round pick

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In case anyone would like to know, Berra finished his conditioning stint with a 3-1-1 record 2.57 GAA and .914 save %. He was a bit uneven but not terrible, he got better as the games went on and after each game. Tonight was a good showing for him, only gave up 2 goals and made some nice saves. If Berra can get some semblance of playing time and hold on to a shred of confidence he could probably be an adequate backup.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
In case anyone would like to know, Berra finished his conditioning stint with a 3-1-1 record 2.57 GAA and .914 save %. He was a bit uneven but not terrible, he got better as the games went on and after each game. Tonight was a good showing for him, only gave up 2 goals and made some nice saves. If Berra can get some semblance of playing time and hold on to a shred of confidence he could probably be an adequate backup.

He better be a back up on another team because Pickard should be a full time NHLer next season. I mean the guy already proving that not only he's NHL ready but he can be a starting goalie. No way he should be playing in AHL next year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He most likely will be playing in the AHL next year because he's very young and needs to find consistency. He's battled hard in the NHL but he's nowhere ready to be there full time.

Crazy talk. Pickard should be starting every third game so that when he gets into a funk and losses all confidence we can yell at him for sucking!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad