Confirmed with Link: Pickard Being Shopped

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Part of me wants him as the backup over Sparks. I have worries that while Sparks may have won the starting job fair and square that he is more of a AAAA type that won't translate as well, more upside but more volatility. Scares me a little that he might be the only one left come October. In a game of Keep/Trade/Waive and Pray
I go-
K-Pickard
T-Sparks
W&P-McBackup

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No reason why Pickard cannot be a part in a bigger deal with a team like the Canes that are desperate for goaltending!!!!

They have something we need on D, we have something they need in wingers and goalies. Something has to give, its definitely a match.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No reason why Pickard cannot be a part in a bigger deal with a team like the Canes that are desperate for goaltending!!!!

They have something we need on D, we have something they need in wingers and goalies. Something has to give, its definitely a match.
With Darling and Mrazek around, I doubt they want another "B" (or lower) option.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Rangers signed Tokarski for insurance, so I would say that takes them out of the running.

However Calgary and Washington still make sense for both McElhinney and Pickard. Winnipeg potentially as well, but I personally think that is less likely.

Also remember that Lehtonen, Pavelec and Mason are still on the market, but none of them are very good. If I were the Leafs, I would invite one of Lehtonen or Mason to training camp on a PTO, especially if they trade both McElhinney and Pickard.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Worst case scenario is he clears and takes playing time away from developing prospects .

Also there's a large number players who are just looking for a PTO to hopefully get a contract and they have just as much/little value as Pickard who it seems we wasted a contract on .

And which goalie is he taking icetime from exactly? Sparks certainly didn’t seem to suffer from bringing him on, and if he does jump up to the leafs the Marlies will need a goalie.

Either Dubas gets an asset in return for him or a starter for e Marlies. Seems like a move with zero downside

Reactions: White Shadow

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Worst case scenario is he clears and takes playing time away from developing prospects .

Also there's a large number players who are just looking for a PTO to hopefully get a contract and they have just as much/little value as Pickard who it seems we wasted a contract on .
From who is he taking time?
Kaskisuo?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And which goalie is he taking icetime from exactly? Sparks certainly didn’t seem to suffer from bringing him on, and if he does jump up to the leafs the Marlies will need a goalie.

Either Dubas gets an asset in return for him or a starter for e Marlies. Seems like a move with zero downside
seems like there's a lot of sucking and blowing with some posters on this thread

-we have too many goalies so we need to trade 1/2 of them
-Marlies need a goalie so if we don't trade him he fills a need

i do agree however that there's little downside unless we're looking to sign one of the former NHL starters still looking for a contract but there's also very little to no upside

and people shouldn't be losing there shit because i happen to question why Dubas would re sign a player with little to no trade value at the end of June and then turn around and shop him in Aug

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
seems like there's a lot of sucking and blowing with some posters on this thread

i do agree however that there's little downside unless we're looking to sign one of the former NHL starters still looking for a contract but there's also very little to no upside

and people shouldn't be losing there **** because i happen to question why Dubas would re sign a player with little to no trade value at the end of June and then turn around and shop him in Aug
The Leafs would be shopping all 3 of the goalies who would be fighting for the backup spot and only need to ship one to the Marlies if he clears. They will keep 3 goalies until they can trade one of them away.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Leafs would be shopping all 3 of the goalies who would be fighting for the backup spot and only need to ship one to the Marlies if he clears. They will keep 3 goalies until they can trade one of them away.
and the team will be holding out for what exactly ?

goalies in general don't go for much and goalies like the 3 we have available aren't going to return much more than a mid rd pick or scraps at best so i don't see us wasting a Leaf roster spot hoping a team runs into problems/injuries and coughs up say a 4th for Sparks

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
The Rangers signed Tokarski for insurance, so I would say that takes them out of the running.

However Calgary and Washington still make sense for both McElhinney and Pickard. Winnipeg potentially as well, but I personally think that is less likely.

Also remember that Lehtonen, Pavelec and Mason are still on the market, but none of them are very good. If I were the Leafs, I would invite one of Lehtonen or Mason to training camp on a PTO, especially if they trade both McElhinney and Pickard.
Washingon has Ilya Samsonov waiting in the wings. Phoenix Copley will backup Holtby until Samsonov is ready.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
and the team will be holding out for what exactly ?

goalies in general don't go for much and goalies like the 3 we have available aren't going to return much more than a mid rd pick or scraps at best so i don't see us wasting a Leaf roster spot hoping a team runs into problems/injuries and coughs up say a 4th for Sparks
Well it happens every year so why not this year. Pickard was a NHL goalie and all things being equal I would not hesitate to select him as our backup as if Our number#1 goes down he has played as a starter before.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Washingon has Ilya Samsonov waiting in the wings. Phoenix Copley will backup Holtby until Samsonov is ready.

That's the plan, but if last year is any indication, he'd be one of the worst NHL backups next year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

and people shouldn't be losing there **** because i happen to question why Dubas would re sign a player with little to no trade value at the end of June and then turn around and shop him in Aug

If there’s little downside, then it seems to make your earlier dismissal of the signing somewhat silly, no?

The Leafs get an asset for him, or the Marlies get a needed roster player. Either way, the signing fills a purpose.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Its doubtful they will be be able to move more than 1 and get something back. I think it would make sense this year to have 1 forward, 1 defencemen and 1 goalie in the pressbox to make the most of the waiver situation. Playing Anderson a little less would enable one of either Pickard or Sparks to prove they can take the backup job from McElhinney. With 3 goalies up you could play Anderson 58 games and the other 2 about 2 games a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->