Pick your East Division playoff teams

Who makes the playoffs in the East Division?

• Washington

• Pittsburgh

• Philadelphia

• Boston

• New York

• Long Island

• Buffalo

• New Jersey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Washington, Philly and the Isles make it. I'm torn on whether Pittsburgh or Boston misses.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Bruins despite their off-season losses were still the Presidents Trophy winners last year and it wasn't all that close, they can be worse and still be a playoff team. Crosby and Ovechkin make the playoffs until proven otherwise, i think the Caps have the stronger team but the Pens are still competitive as well. But yeah, these teams have their long playoff streaks going and i respect that.

Last spot comes down to the Isles and Flyers for me. I like the Flyers skill, their healthy team has some really strong depth up front. AV generally coaches his team to the playoffs as well. They can have their struggles with fast teams and pressure but they can also win many different types of games with the skill they have. I think they'll have pretty good success against the weaker teams and 2 pts is 2 pts no matter who you play. I also think the kids Lindblom and Patrick finally healthy bring some energy and excitement to the squad.

Isles since the 2nd half of last year seem to have some consistency issues in the regular season.. they need to be committed and bring in a good effort to win games as they don't have the skill to outscore teams on average nights. They've already been shutout by the Rangers and Devils. I also think couple injuries to the wrong guys up front and they've got literally nothing to replace them, not to mention their cap restrictions in making moves to improve the offense. Trotz is a hell of a coach though and when the Isles do work every night they can get on a run even in those playoff-style games.

It's close but im leaning towards Philly. Not feeling it with the Isles this year. I know it's not fair but since it's basically the same team last year vs this year im going to bring it up anyway, they're 16-18-6 in their last 40 regular season games. Feels like they're cocky in a lot of games when they shouldn't be. In a short season there's not a lot of time to be waiting around.

But im just speculating, i got no idea really.

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I think Boston makes it due to them having by far the best goalie and a great goalie duo.. All the other teams have young, unproven goalies and a fair bit have had a rough start.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
For Buffalo to have a shot, one or two of the usual good teams have to regress which totally sucks. The penguins always have stretches where it looks like they’re going to miss but NEVER do, I’m hoping pens miss over bruins because brother is a bruins fan and kind of like them as much as The sabres fan in me doesent want too....(maybe mentally preparing for eichel signing with the bruins in 2026)

I guess the isles aren’t a lock but it’d hard to bet against them, that system/coaching, defense, depth, only locks I think are caps and flyers but probably the isles and one of Boston pens Buffalo gets the last spot, biased I am but this is the best sabres roster in well over a decade and it’s gotta happen some time. Predictions are boring if they’re always the favourites! Of course the rangers are a dark horse

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
For Buffalo to have a shot, one or two of the usual good teams have to regress which totally sucks. The penguins always have stretches where it looks like they’re going to miss but NEVER do, I’m hoping pens miss over bruins because brother is a bruins fan and kind of like them as much as The sabres fan in me doesent want too....(maybe mentally preparing for eichel signing with the bruins in 2026)

I guess the isles aren’t a lock but it’d hard to bet against them, that system/coaching, defense, depth, only locks I think are caps and flyers but probably the isles and one of Boston pens Buffalo gets the last spot, biased I am but this is the best sabres roster in well over a decade and it’s gotta happen some time. Predictions are boring if they’re always the favourites! Of course the rangers are a dark horse
I think it's going to come down to the goaltending for the Sabres. The roster actually looks pretty good. They just need the right guys to get hot at the right times and a goalie that can step up and at least keep them in the games

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I think it's going to come down to the goaltending for the Sabres. The roster actually looks pretty good. They just need the right guys to get hot at the right times and a goalie that can step up and at least keep them in the games

very true and while I had faith in the future with UPL in net, we shall see there but Ullmark actually had this team ahead of Tampa and Toronto just five weeks before COVID around all star break and then got injured, so I mean who’s to say he’s not capable? We will have to see...

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
bruins have awful shooting luck 5v5 and are still winning. strong possession metrics, though the goal metrics dont like them at the moment. easy choice for me though, the luck will come.

capitals. slightly above average by possession metrics atm, playing phenomenal defense though. not riding unsustainable goaltending whatsoever, and their shooting should remain good (though not as insane as it has been). looks like a playoff team to me.

after that theres a lot more questions than answers.

the sabres are getting CATACLYSMIC goaltending so far. theyre allowing over 1 more goal per 60 5v5 than expected. that won't last forever, and theyre up there with boston for the best underlying metrics in the division. is this the year they finally make the playoffs?

rangers. by all metrics they look slightly but clearly above average 5v5 but their PP struggles are well documented and theyre already in a bit of a hole. do they have enough?

the islanders appear to be mediocre. theyre a quality over quantity team, though, to be fair. above 50% xG so far this year despite sub 46% corsi, and this isnt unusual for Barry Trotz teams. mediocre could be enough, but will it be in a competitive division?

the penguins are in this weird spot where theyre playing bad defense AND getting bad goaltending at 5v5. allowing over 3 goals per 60 5v5 so far this year, the only team in the division above 2.8. their PDO looks bad but theyre a quantity over quality team. again, hard to get a read on them, but the signs aren't great. goaltending won't be this bad forever but im not gonna bank on a team that's playing awful defensively as well.

flyers. getting CAVED IN at 5v5, riding insane shooting luck to a decent record to start though. fools gold. i do not see this as a playoff team unless they really get their act together defensively (which of course they could).

the new jersey devils are getting RIDICULOUS goaltending from mackenzie blackwood to start the season. this has led them to the best 5v5 goal share in the division, but it's a mirage. they are playing the worst defense in the division by xGA/60 (yes, even worse than the penguins and islanders). blackwood is awesome, but this very clearly won't last forever. offensively, theyre scoring at exactly their expected goal rate (that will probably go up a tad because xG has been a slight underestimate ever since the goalie pad size change) but like. cmon. only the flyers have a worse xGF% in the division. and their record isnt even that good to show for this insane luck.

this is a difficult division to vote on, other than Boston and Washington.

Here are Dom L's projections, which are much lower on the Sabres than i am.
Screen-Shot-2021-01-27-at-12.06.57-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-27-at-12.09.45-AM.png

make of this what you will :)

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
wow I literally cannot believe Washington has 100% of the votes so far - 71/71. It's not that I think they're going to miss per se - but I think they're way more likely to miss this season than they would have been in any of the previous seasons. And it's nothing to do with their team being bad, it's more about the crazy competitive division and the unknowns of a shortened season.

I thought Boston might stumble going into this year - but they seem to be rolling so far. So not sure they will. They were so strong and consistent last year, them being strong out of the gate probably means they end up making it.

I think both Washington + Pitt make it. Simply put - until proven otherwise the combo of Crosby/Malkin is too good to miss the playoffs. As for Washington - they have like 3 or 4 straight divisional titles.

4th one is more tricky. My heart wants to say Buffalo - it'd be nice to see them make it.
Rangers were a dark horse going into the season with a ton of untapped potential - but such a bad start and a short season is going to make a potential turn around more difficult.
I personally like NJ - but not sure they can contend in this division.
Which leaves Philly or NYI. Flip a coin - I voted Philly

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's going to be Flyers, Bruins, Caps in some order as the top 3. They are much better than the bottom five teams.

I know that the Devils have started well, but I really cannot see them contending for a playoff spot. There is a significant talent gap between them and the other teams. I don't see Buffalo contending either.

I think it comes down to the Islanders, Rangers, and Penguins. I've been very unimpressed so far with the Penguins. Going into the season I thought they were the best of those three, but they are having some injuries and their depth is really putrid. They are pulling guys out of the AHL to play key roles and the bottom of their roster was already weak to begin with because they don't have many prospects. Jarry hasn't been as good as I expected either. They need him to be really good. I'd say it comes down to the Rangers and Islanders most likely. I'll homer vote because I think it's very close, but I am worried that the loss of DeAngelo could play a big part in this playoff race.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad