Salary Cap: Pick Your 2 Disposable Roster players for Trade!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Funny enough, I've been wondering whether Rielly isn't a guy we need to move. He's great offensively, but NEEDS a solid defensive guy, to cover up for the reality that he isn't that good defensively.

Barrie's been better defensively, and frankly, offensively since Keefe took over as well. I have to wonder, is a roster with Muzzin, Barrie, Liljegren, Sandin, and Dermott, a better start than with Rielly?

Barrie has not been better defensively than Rielly… Not at any point. Barrie just has literally no expectations to be a quality defensive player, and all of the onus is on his partner to be the one to prevent goals.

Rielly does not need a solid defensive partner in order to be an effective defensive player, but if your expectations are for him to have the type of offensive freedom to be a near PPG player, then you definitely need to have a reliable partner to cover for him. That applies to literally anyone in the NHL, including Norris winners. Otherwise, if he has to worry about his partner messing up, then he can't take as many risks and will start second guessing things defensively. It's a large reason why Gardiner is probably the worst partner you can have as a defenseman... If he doesn't even know what he's going to do, how can your partner know?

Reactions: leuf

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Johnsson, Ceci and Barrie. All are in the top tier for me.

Kerfoot comes next.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I wouldn't trade Kerfoot. He makes the 3rd line, and he's versatile enough to be used elsewhere if needed. The guy is a real role player. It's Johnsson and Kapanen that are expendable from the forwards. If I had to pick one, I'd say Kapanen, just because of our RW depth.

As for defencemen, Ceci has no trade value, so he shouldn't be considered. The real disposable guy is Dermott. Even with the top 2 LHD out of comission, he's still almost invisible. Assuming the GM is going to re-sign Muzzin, there's no room for Dermott.

Kapanen, Dermott, and some prospect for a real defence and/or goalie upgrade, please.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Barrie and Kerfoot. You aren't resigning Barrie and he will bring something more than Ceci. I still think AJ has shown a higher level when "on" than what Kerfoot has shown. Kap only if it's a package for a big piece coming back.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
It's called confirmation bias. Every D will make mistakes. Every D will have bad games. When you take limited evidence, to backup a belief, in an attempt to prove you are right. The stats say you aren't. Multiple stats say you aren't, from different sources. Confirmation Bias.
What is Marincin then? The stats say he is a very good defender, yet everyone hates him? Is he an outlier? I don't have confirmation bias. I was excited at the beginning of the year for Barrie and had really no knowledge of the type of player he was. I was under the impression that he was a top pairing defending who was at least fine defensively. But he's not, so his offense should make up for his defensive deficiencies but it doesn't.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I’m going to ignore Ceci for the purposes of this thread as he’s beyond disposable.
Johnsson + Dermott. Add a first and that’s a package towards sealing up our gaping hole at the top of the blue line

EC

Nov 10, 2016
  • Kerfoot For Clifford (33% retained) & Campbell
  • Johansson + late pick For Sissons & Hamhuis
  • Ceci, Timashov & 2nd round pick for Dillon
Hyman/Matthews/Marner
Engvall/Tavares/Nylander
Moore*/Sissons/Kapanen
Clifford/Gauthier/Spezza

Muzzin*/Holl
Hamhuis/Barrie
Dermott/Dillon

Andersen/Campbell

** Assuming Moore & Muzzin are back after the all-star break

WHEN LEAFS ARE HEALTHY

Hyman/Matthews/Marner [24.777MM]
Mikheyev/Tavares/Nylander [18.88MM]
Engvall/Sissons/Kapanen [6.983MM]
Clifford/Gauthier/Spezza [2.447MM]
Brooks [0.76MM]

Rielly/Barrie [7.75MM]
Muzzin/Holl [4.675MM]
Dermott/Dillon [4.134MM]
Hamhuis/Marincin [1.95MM]

Andersen/Campbell [5.675MM]

Kessel retention [1.2MM]

Salary Cap = 82MM
Salary Committed = 79.231MM
Cap Space = 2.769MM

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why should any gm regardless of their situation want to help the toronto maple leafs? they should be trying to take advantage of them that is their job. look at it from their perspective.... We'll take Ceci off your hands, what else are you going to give us?
I'm prepared to bury him in the minors for the 1.07mm cap relief if required. Maybe the team is lucky enough for someone to pick him off waivers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What is Marincin then? The stats say he is a very good defender, yet everyone hates him? Is he an outlier? I don't have confirmation bias. I was excited at the beginning of the year for Barrie and had really no knowledge of the type of player he was. I was under the impression that he was a top pairing defending who was at least fine defensively. But he's not, so his offense should make up for his defensive deficiencies but it doesn't.

If you'd paid attention, you would have known what type of player Barrie was, long before the trade was made. He's always been described as an adventure in his own zone, but a guy who can move the puck, and is good offensively. RHD who have such skills, are more valuable than LHD who have the same skills.

Marincin has usually looked ok, with very sheltered usage. He looks like a 700k D man this year, and the stats bear that out too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Barrie and Kerfoot. You aren't resigning Barrie and he will bring something more than Ceci. I still think AJ has shown a higher level when "on" than what Kerfoot has shown. Kap only if it's a package for a big piece coming back.

Dubas would be under the Microscope trading them two. If it wasn’t a Kadri quality return and add the 3rd we lost with Kadri it looks impossible to recoup equal value on it. I think he would avoid the comparisons to no end ;) Its a bad trade he can’t change that. I wouldn’t mind both moved also

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not sure why some are in a rush to trade Kerfoot. Versatile player, plays C, good hockey IQ, decent play-maker

Kadri was one of the best contracts in the Nhl and To add a third with him for a Black hole offensive defenseman and a third line center was a bad deal. Kerfoot is ok. Terrible on faceoffs and takes some pretty stupid penalties to boot. I don’t see this warrior defensive forward in him. He’s just a average player with no outstanding traits. We don’t need anything that he brings that we couldn’t have gotten from our prospects. He’s just ok

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Ceci - actually fine as a sixth defenceman, but would trade him to free up cap space if needed. Lily would beg better in our lineup. I think you would actually get a low pick in return.
Timashov. If there is a market. Or the Goat. Same. Or Brookes, same.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dubas would be under the Microscope trading them two. If it wasn’t a Kadri quality return and add the 3rd we lost with Kadri it looks impossible to recoup equal value on it. I think he would avoid the comparisons to no end ;) Its a bad trade he can’t change that. I wouldn’t mind both moved also
I get why a Dubas doesn’t want to trade, it sort of admits a bad move. On the other hand we know what stubbornness can cause. Barrie walking for nothing makes the trade a bit of a joke if you ask me.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why should any gm regardless of their situation want to help the toronto maple leafs? they should be trying to take advantage of them that is their job. look at it from their perspective.... We'll take Ceci off your hands, what else are you going to give us?

Seriously?

Obviously we have to give up something...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad