Salary Cap: Pick Your 2 Disposable Roster players for Trade!

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I think Andreas Johnsson is the most disposable player in the organization. Guys like Mikheyev and Engvall are far more impactful athletes and the role he had on the Matthews line shouldn't be an option for him. He's basically a small rush player with questionable on ice vision and intelligence. If we could turn him into Adam Larsson that would be great.

I'm not in love with Johnsson but I think he has more IQ than Kappy, he's tougher to play against than Kappy, he can PK as well if not better than Kappy, his only deficiency when compared to Kappy is speed.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Ceci has negative trade value. We're stuck with him until the end of the year.

Nah. You trade for an upgrade on him, and include him in a deal to help even out the salary. Receiving team doesn't care all that much because they're a seller, so it doesn't matter that he sucks, and he's an expiring UFA. You eat whatever minor cost that may be attached.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'd be ranking players on a scale to 1-10 on how much they scare the opposition. Does Matthews goal-scoring worry them? Check. Does a Kapanen short-handed goal scare them? Does Kerfoot scare them? If the answer is no, you're available.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Funny enough, I've been wondering whether Rielly isn't a guy we need to move. He's great offensively, but NEEDS a solid defensive guy, to cover up for the reality that he isn't that good defensively.

Barrie's been better defensively, and frankly, offensively since Keefe took over as well. I have to wonder, is a roster with Muzzin, Barrie, Liljegren, Sandin, and Dermott, a better start than with Rielly?

For years I couldn't understand the unconditional love for Rielly and the universal hate for Gardiner. Since Gardiner is gone I thought Rielly would be the next target but his 72 points from last year, his career year has shielded him from criticism again. One of the good things about his being loved is that the TO market, media and fans haven't chewed up his value so it might be possible to use him to upgrade the d. I'd like to see him and Kappy be included in a trade for Seth Jones or that type of player. Altho, I don't know why Columbus would be willing to move Jones.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Funny enough, I've been wondering whether Rielly isn't a guy we need to move. He's great offensively, but NEEDS a solid defensive guy, to cover up for the reality that he isn't that good defensively.

Barrie's been better defensively, and frankly, offensively since Keefe took over as well. I have to wonder, is a roster with Muzzin, Barrie, Liljegren, Sandin, and Dermott, a better start than with Rielly?
Barrie was the direct cause of 3 goals against during the Chicago game for not picking up his man. Which would never be noticed if Andersen stopped the easy shots that followed. I am starting to wonder if Rielly is needed myself, but he is light years ahead of Barrie in defensive capabilities.

Reactions: horner

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Johnsson - hard to see Mango leave, but he has good value, and with Soup and Engvall, he has become expendable.

Barrie - give me a 1st, and a prospect and I will drive him anywhere in North America..

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Barrie definitely needs to go, much more of a problem than Ceci, and he actually has value. On forward, Johnsson makes the most sense, but if you trust Engvall at centre in the NHL you could move Kerfoot.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Barrie was the direct cause of 3 goals against during the Chicago game for not picking up his man. Which would never be noticed if Andersen stopped the easy shots that followed. I am starting to wonder if Rielly is needed myself, but he is light years ahead of Barrie in defensive capabilities.

Your eyes deceive you.

Attachments

• Dashboard 1.png
    Dashboard 1.png
    449.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Quadrants - Exp Goals.png
    Quadrants - Exp Goals.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Quadrants - Shots.png
    Quadrants - Shots.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
  • SKATR.png
    SKATR.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 3

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Your eyes deceive you.

The stats might show that he's better, my eyes show me that Barrie is the one we're scratching our heads over trying to figure out how he can be so dumb.

Take this game for example:

Goal 1: The puck goes up to the blueline and Barrie pushes up past Marincin, who is already covering the only guy in the slot, then gets beat back to the far post where the goal is scored. Regardless Andersen should have stopped it.

Goal 4: Chicago rings the puck around the boards, Barrie doesn't even try to get it standing a stick length away from the boards, Marincin plays Toews soft and he wraps it in. Again Andersen should have stopped it.

Goal 6: Puck is batted out of mid air, great goal. Or is it? Again Barrie is in the middle of the ice defending NO ONE. Any little bit of contact on Kublik and that play doesn't happen.

These little things that don't seem like much happen on every shift for him.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Johnsson up front. Ceci at the back.

Johnsson could fetch us a decent defenseman or young backup. Ceci just needs to go because he’s massively incompetent.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ceci/Marincin/Timashov/Gauthier/Hutch.
I guess my two would be Ceci and Timashov?

Everybody else has value. Moore might be expendable because of the emergence of Engvall and Mik, but if he gets back and playing he could have some positive value too.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ceci and Nylander (lazy)

That is a lazy narrative. He absolutely is not. By all accounts he's one of the hardest workers on the team, staying late after practise or going out eary to work on stuff.

And in game if you watch his board play and strength on the puck its better than most skilled players out there. Every once and a while he has a "controller disconnected" moment but so does everybody.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We need a smart, defensive minded RHD (who can do all the things like skate, move the puck) but is really an anchor defensively on the back end.

On left (if we re-sign Muzzin) you have Muzzin,Sandin,Dermott and anyone can be # 7. It’s the right side we need improvement on and improvement in terms of someone who is just a solid D without the puck.

Everyone likes Rielly but he may be all he is going to be while Sandin can perhaps surpass that. Before the next Rielly contract it might be time to really consider that makeover.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner is fine
Engvall - Tavares - Nylander is fine

Guys like Kerfoot/Kap/Mich are fine depth and easier to upgrade bottom 6 with your drafting/development and yearly UFAs.

That leaves Rielly/Johnsson/money free from no Barrie/Ceci to really remake that D and goaltending.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Nah. You trade for an upgrade on him, and include him in a deal to help even out the salary. Receiving team doesn't care all that much because they're a seller, so it doesn't matter that he sucks, and he's an expiring UFA. You eat whatever minor cost that may be attached.

Why should any gm regardless of their situation want to help the toronto maple leafs? they should be trying to take advantage of them that is their job. look at it from their perspective.... We'll take Ceci off your hands, what else are you going to give us?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The stats might show that he's better, my eyes show me that Barrie is the one we're scratching our heads over trying to figure out how he can be so dumb.

Goal 1: The puck goes up to the blueline and Barrie pushes up past Marincin, who is already covering the only guy in the slot, then gets beat back to the far post where the goal is scored. Regardless Andersen should have stopped it.

Goal 4: Chicago rings the puck around the boards, Barrie doesn't even try to get it standing a stick length away from the boards, Marincin plays Toews soft and he wraps it in. Again Andersen should have stopped it.

Goal 6: Puck is batted out of mid air, great goal. Or is it? Again Barrie is in the middle of the ice defending NO ONE. Any little bit of contact on Kublik and that play doesn't happen.

It's called confirmation bias. Every D will make mistakes. Every D will have bad games. When you take limited evidence, to backup a belief, in an attempt to prove you are right. The stats say you aren't. Multiple stats say you aren't, from different sources. Confirmation Bias.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Maybe at some point down the road, but not now. He's still an elite player when he's on his game.
I think the Leafs Brass knew what they were getting into with the JT deal. I don't see him being nearly as effective 6 years into the contract, but if a cup comes out of it you're happy with the results.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think the Leafs Brass knew what they were getting into with the JT deal. I don't see him being nearly as effective 6 years into the contract, but if a cup comes out of it you're happy with the results.
I’m entirely sure they did, too.
As I’ve said before, Willy is the x-factor maximizing JT’s value.
At some point, JT moves to the wing - probably creating a ‘perfection’ line, and Willy moves to 2C right in his prime. 2nd line wingers will be easier to find.
JT is going to evolve into Dave Andreychuk later in his career.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He avoids contact like the plague. It has always been that way for him. Hard to play defender role when you play to avoid contact. It is only good for his personal self perseverance and getting his next contract based on his point totals. He would be a much much better player in a non contact league.
But then again look at Rielly he is more engaged at defending now and is getting hurt. But that's the life of a true defender.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

He has the type of skill set that can help him be very productive as he gets older, but he will eventually need to move to the wing.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->