Pick up ice hockey -Saturday Nights- Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park Long Island

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to spread the word about our saturday night adult ice hockey games that go on at Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park.

Its every Saturday night from about 11:30pm - 1:30am.......and its $25 per person. The attendance has been getting a little low for the last few weeks, so I asked the guy who organizes it if he would mind if I spread the word. For the record, I dont make any money off this. I just wanted to spread the word to help get a better turn out so we can have some fun nights of playing ice hockey. Heres a run down.....

- Every Saturday night ( Its been every sat night for the last 30 years.....im not joking, this is a tradition at this rink ),
- Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park - Long Island ( 11:30 pm - 1:30 am )
- Come down around 11:15pm, suit up, 15-20 minutes of warm up on a fresh sheet of ice and then we play until about 1:30 am
- Ages 16 and up
- Full equiptment required - chest, shin, elbow, gloves and helmet ( shield or cage required ) and some sort of jersey.
- No contact ( a little bump here or there going for the puck, but no hits ).
- No bomb slap shots.......not trying to kill the skaters in front of you.
- Skill levels can vary ( we have had guys who are real good, guys that are not so good and everything in between.).........at the very least, you should know how to skate on ice to some degree. You dont need to be awesome, just be able to skate a bit.
- Come with a good attitude and looking to have fun. Its a good time with good people. I've been doing it for about 5 years now and we have rarely had a problem with problematic players coming down. If they do, they are asked to leave.

Usually they try to have 3 goalies max, so that the amount of playing time is good for each goalie. There have been nights where we had 4+ goalies and we had to turn some away.

Right now we have 2 pretty consistent goalies ( sometimes a third )....the two regulars are both there 95% of the time. In all the years I have been going, we have never been short on goalies ( we even have a back up regular skater who will suit up if need be ), so come down and play !!!!!!

Any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Last couple weeks have been good. Some new faces too. Come play some hockey tonight. Superior ice rink in Kings park.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
bump........ come play some ice hockey.

Skill doesnt matter. Come down for a good time.

Tonight ( saturday 10/1 @1130pm ), we play every saturday night, every single week.

Superior ice rink, Kings Park Long Island.

$20 per skater, we ALWAYS have 2 goalies or more.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
bump, come play some ice hockey tonight

1130pm superior ice rink, kings park Long Island

$20 per skater.

All 3 goalie slots are filled for tonight

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
11:30 on a Saturday is why I stopped playing hockey, just to late for me. Those Sunday night games during the NFL season were a killer.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
another saturday night bump

Good turn out last week, 5v5 with 3 on each bench and 3 goalies.

We never have an issues with enough goalies.

Always looking for more skaters......

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
its Saturday night, come play some ice hockey.
Turn outs have been good lately.

We always have 2 or 3 goalies every night

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
its Saturday night, come play some ice hockey.
Turn outs have been good lately.

We always have 2 or 3 goalies every night

$20 per skater, show up around 1130 and skate till about 130am.
Superior ice rink; Kings Park Long Island

Its a good night of fun pick up ice hockey.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
its saturday again.......

last week we had 14 skaters and 3 goalies.

played 5 on 5 with 2 on each bench.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It has been a long tine since I played at Superior. Does big Norm still work there?

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Oh man, I grew up in that rink!!! Exit SM3A of Saktikos? <- butchering the spelling.

I miss those days. Barbara Williams, who trained the Islanders during their hey day (I know, mentioning the enemy) used to teach us. Billy Smith used to be there during his later years as his son played in the same league I did. Suffolk County P.A.L!

I wish I still lived on Long Island.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Oh man, I grew up in that rink!!! Exit SM3A of Saktikos? <- butchering the spelling.

I miss those days. Barbara Williams, who trained the Islanders during their hey day (I know, mentioning the enemy) used to teach us. Billy Smith used to be there during his later years as his son played in the same league I did. Suffolk County P.A.L!

I wish I still lived on Long Island.

I had a crush on her daughter Cyndi. We were friends for a while but she was out of my league lol.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He's retired in the Palm Beach area.

He once suspended me from the rink indefinitely after I got in a fight during Friday night skate before my high school game. I only missed 1 game after he gave me a second chance. After that we became cool with each other.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He once suspended me from the rink indefinitely after I got in a fight during Friday night skate before my high school game. I only missed 1 game after he gave me a second chance. After that we became cool with each other.

He was one of the most feared guys in the minor leagues during his heyday. I think there were five hall of famers ahead of him on the depth charts in the old six team league, which shows how tough it was too make it. He was a really good player. Anyway, no way he would keep you suspended for any length of time lol.

He was a nice guy but very strange if you weren't one of his old players. I used to go to one of the the diners with him and one of his buddies that ran a rent out I played in. I was shocked when I saw him working in a rink in Palm Beach about 6 or 7 years ago. He's retired now as far as I know, I think he has health issues.

As an aside, the diner was in Commack, we saw many former Islanders in there. It was by the old arena there.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He was one of the most feared guys in the minor leagues during his heyday. I think there were five hall of famers ahead of him on the depth charts in the old six team league, which shows how tough it was too make it. He was a really good player. Anyway, no way he would keep you suspended for any length of time lol.

He was a nice guy but very strange if you weren't one of his old players. I used to go to one of the the diners with him and one of his buddies that ran a rent out I played in. I was shocked when I saw him working in a rink in Palm Beach about 6 or 7 years ago. He's retired now as far as I know, I think he has health issues.

As an aside, the diner was in Commack, we saw many former Islanders in there. It was by the old arena there.

Candlelight Diner was awesome. We used to go there at 12am after my high school games. It was across from the Long Island Arena before they tore the arena down. Big Norm was very stern on me the night of the fight. He physically handled pretty me easily while breaking up my fight. I ended up being suspended around 10 days but after the suspension a switch flipped and we became very friendly. I can't believe you saw him working in Florida. That is a nutty coincidence.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Awesome stories guys, looks like there were a ton of stories that come out of superior ice rink. I'm only 38 so most seem to be before my time, buts it's cool none the less

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Bump

Last Saturday was good as well. 5 on 5, 3 goalies and a couple on each bench.

Keep it up if you made it there.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Candlelight Diner was awesome. We used to go there at 12am after my high school games. It was across from the Long Island Arena before they tore the arena down. Big Norm was very stern on me the night of the fight. He physically handled pretty me easily while breaking up my fight. I ended up being suspended around 10 days but after the suspension a switch flipped and we became very friendly. I can't believe you saw him working in Florida. That is a nutty coincidence.

Funny I played there the other day in a morning skate and went to breakfast at the candlelight. You're right it was really good.

Edit: We went to watch a guy that was playing on our men's league team play a jr tourney. There was big Norm walking around.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
bump.....its saturday, come play some pick up ice hockey at superior ice rink in kings park. You dont have to be a good to come play. Ckeck out the original post for details if you have questions

1130pm-130am, $20, we always have goalies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
bump.....last few weeks have been good. 5 on 5 with a couple on each bench.

We always have goalies.

Come on down !!

1130 pm - Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Never played ice hockey there, but I played in the roller hockey league during the summer when I was 13 and 14. Is the roller rink still there? My team won our age group championship the second year, even took a picture together on the rink like teams do, but I'm off to the side in street clothes like an idiot because I got suspended for the last game of the playoffs for coming off the bench to defend a teammate when the other team jumped him (in a non-checking roller hockey league!). It was fun though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad