OT: Pick-up hockey in Philadelphia (suggestions needed)

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Hey guys, Pens fan coming in peace.

I live in Philly and was wondering if you guys could tell me of good places in the city to play some pick-up games (inline or ice). I haven't played hockey really since I moved here (which was about 2.5 years ago) With the season on hold I am looking to get back into it and just wondering where everyone would suggest I start. Obviously Since I havent played in so long I will be very rusty, I also have never been a great Ice Skater (I can keep my balance and maneuver pretty well.. I just have a hard time stopping..) but on inline I am pretty good on my skates.

Preferably i'd like to play with people who just are there to have fun and not overly competitive. I know there will always be that one guy who is overly competitive and aggressive, but if the overall feel of the games aren't that would be ideal.

The only place I know about is Rizzo Rink, but I was wondering if there were any other places.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Not sure if it helps but I'm in Jersey, theres 2 places right around the corner, Choice Inline and Hollydell both do open hockey on a couple of different nights, they are right next to each other in Sewell NJ. Probably 30 minute drive from the stadiums in Philly.

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008
Hey guys, Pens fan coming in peace.

I live in Philly and was wondering if you guys could tell me of good places in the city to play some pick-up games (inline or ice). I haven't played hockey really since I moved here (which was about 2.5 years ago) With the season on hold I am looking to get back into it and just wondering where everyone would suggest I start. Obviously Since I havent played in so long I will be very rusty, I also have never been a great Ice Skater (I can keep my balance and maneuver pretty well.. I just have a hard time stopping..) but on inline I am pretty good on my skates.

Preferably i'd like to play with people who just are there to have fun and not overly competitive. I know there will always be that one guy who is overly competitive and aggressive, but if the overall feel of the games aren't that would be ideal.

The only place I know about is Rizzo Rink, but I was wondering if there were any other places.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Good luck with that. I've never found any leagues or public hockey I've played in where guys didn't come to play and skate pretty hard. Certainly not unfriendly or where you'd have to worry about getting run or anything like that, but there are lots of guys out there who can play and they aren't going to take it easy within the accepted no-check format.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Good luck with that. I've never found any leagues or public hockey I've played in where guys didn't come to play and skate pretty hard. Certainly not unfriendly or where you'd have to worry about getting run or anything like that, but there are lots of guys out there who can play and they aren't going to take it easy within the accepted no-check format.

I dont mean "take it easy".. I guess by overly competitive I just meant kind of bullies and wont be dicks to me if I'm not on the same level as them (which i wont be). Obviously people are going to play hard.. what fun would it be if people didn't give their all.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Depending on your skill level, there is a men's instructional league on Sundays in West Chester at Ice Line. I know Ice Line also has daily drop-in games from 12-1:30PM, though you may want to double check the time. I'd be interested in also finding out any other drop in times around the area because I haven't been able to find any that accomodate my work schedule.

As for inline, there are a lot of rinks outdoors in the area where you can go play pickup. I play in Downingtown whenever I have the urge, there is a rink right off of route 30 and there are generally a handful of people looking to play pickup. Sorry if this isn't the area you're looking for in Philly, but hope it helps.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Depending on your skill level, there is a men's instructional league on Sundays in West Chester at Ice Line. I know Ice Line also has daily drop-in games from 12-1:30PM, though you may want to double check the time. I'd be interested in also finding out any other drop in times around the area because I haven't been able to find any that accomodate my work schedule.

As for inline, there are a lot of rinks outdoors in the area where you can go play pickup. I play in Downingtown whenever I have the urge, there is a rink right off of route 30 and there are generally a handful of people looking to play pickup. Sorry if this isn't the area you're looking for in Philly, but hope it helps.

yeah I live in the city.. kind of near the stadiums and I dont really want to travel too far out of the city to play.. The only outdoor rink I know of is Rizzo, and there is one in the North East.. I only know of them because i sometimes play bike polo there.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Sunday mornings at the Flyers Skatezone in northeast Philly has open hockey at 6:30 in the morning. It is early, but a good amount of people show up and the game is usually not overly competitive. Get a good mixture of youth and age too, but not too old. My friend and I are almost always there, so stop on by and play.

They also have open hockey during the week and on weekend nights(usually late because of men's league and club team games). They are okay if you get the right crew to show up, but a lot of younger people come and just try to show off and never get off the ice. Can be a pain in the ass.

I play in a men's league for a place off Street Road called Ice Sports now(it used to be called faceoff I believe). It is a very competitive league though so I don't know if you would want to join the league or not in the future.

Trying to access the Skatezone Website for Northeast but can't seem to find it. They may have done away with it for some reason. You can always call them at 215-618-0050 to get the open hockey times.

sb5551

Jan 24, 2012
Upenn friday mornings at 10:30 AM has a novice pick-up. I went by last week to check it out, and most seemed to be above my level, and not novice, but what can you do. I am thinking about trying that next week. I also play on the I-leauge up in West Chester on Sunday nights.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Upenn friday mornings at 10:30 AM has a novice pick-up. I went by last week to check it out, and most seemed to be above my level, and not novice, but what can you do. I am thinking about trying that next week. I also play on the I-leauge up in West Chester on Sunday nights.

See you there. I am the guy wearing the 2006 ISHL All-Star jersey.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Sunday mornings at the Flyers Skatezone in northeast Philly has open hockey at 6:30 in the morning. It is early, but a good amount of people show up and the game is usually not overly competitive. Get a good mixture of youth and age too, but not too old. My friend and I are almost always there, so stop on by and play.

They also have open hockey during the week and on weekend nights(usually late because of men's league and club team games). They are okay if you get the right crew to show up, but a lot of younger people come and just try to show off and never get off the ice. Can be a pain in the ass.

I play in a men's league for a place off Street Road called Ice Sports now(it used to be called faceoff I believe). It is a very competitive league though so I don't know if you would want to join the league or not in the future.

Trying to access the Skatezone Website for Northeast but can't seem to find it. They may have done away with it for some reason. You can always call them at 215-618-0050 to get the open hockey times.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. I would be interested in joining a league.. but it would probably take me a while to get to that point.. I mostly need to work on stopping on Ice Skates.. I am not very good at it.. I can stop, but not on a dime.. and cant spray snow.. even when I actually played on a club when I was like 10, I couldnt really stop..

Im sure once I get it it'll be one of those things that just click.

ptomh

Apr 7, 2014
I realize this thread is over 2 years old, but I was curious about the poster who mentioned the sunday morning pick up hockey at the skate zone in NE philly.

What is the skill level like for those pick up games? I have been searching for a pick up game. I'm an ok skater and player. Just checking to see if I would get smoked or not at the pickup game.

Thanks.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
sorry to dig up this old thread I posted a while ago, but does anyone here play open ice hockey at Rizzo? I remember they used to have it on Wednesdays at 9pm, but I can't seem to find anything about it on their site..

I haven't been in a long time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For inline in Northeast Philly, you have Low Mayfair playground adjacent to Ethan Allen elementary school and you have Fox Chase playground. Google both for directions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad