Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A win. Or is it...

tenor.gif

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
A win. Or is it...

tenor.gif

It's nice to see that the team isn't a complete trainwreck when they get good goaltending.

Adding 2 1sts / Kaut / Bowers to that group, is better than adding them to a terrible group.

Playoffs are still very unlikely. If we had lost tonight, we would be at 26 percent, not 43 percent. It's that close.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Such a weird season. We don't deserve playoff hockey but the west is terrible this year. Only a few points is the difference between a playoff team and a bottom 10 team, crazy.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Such a weird season. We don't deserve playoff hockey but the west is terrible this year. Only a few points is the difference between a playoff team and a bottom 10 team, crazy.

Also weird is that one team is 15 points better than the second best team.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We have 4 wins in 18 games. We weren't trying to suck, we just do.

A top 10 pick is realistic, and I won't be shocked to see it end up closer to 5.

The top 7-8 players are all great and will help this team.

Meant to reply to this the other day.

Yes, the team has been pretty poor, but I still believe with some decent goaltending, they’re not a bottom-feeding team. Perhaps not a playoff team either, but if one of these guys picks up his game in net, the Avs won’t have two top 5 picks, unless they’re incredibly fortunate.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We really aren't going anywhere unless we overhaul our drafting and development team. When I see you guys lay out our record on paper like that, its honestly just shameful and it doesn't matter what other small moves we make. If you aren't drafting useful depth players outside the top 10 picks, you're just never going to win.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I don’t really buy into the “% chance to make the playoffs” nonsense.

Literally any team can win on any given night. And any team can go on a 5 game win or lose streak at any point.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don’t really buy into the “% chance to make the playoffs” nonsense.

Literally any team can win on any given night. And any team can go on a 5 game win or lose streak at any point.
The % is just the chance. It's incredibly accurate. It factors in every team in the league, and who they are playing, and a bunch of other factors that I'm not even sure of lol anyways it's pretty spot on.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
The % is just the chance. It's incredibly accurate. It factors in every team in the league, and who they are playing, and a bunch of other factors that I'm not even sure of lol anyways it's pretty spot on.

All I’m saying is those percentages get thrown out the window when a team loses 3 or 4 “should win games”.

They are nice to look at the last week or 2 of the season. But there’s too much hockey left to be played for those numbers to mean anything, IMO

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
It's nice to see that the team isn't a complete trainwreck when they get good goaltending.

Adding 2 1sts / Kaut / Bowers to that group, is better than adding them to a terrible group.

Playoffs are still very unlikely. If we had lost tonight, we would be at 26 percent, not 43 percent. It's that close.

I think you’re in for a rude awakening if you expect those 4 assets to contribute to the NHL roster next year. Hopefully the Sens 1st, really zero shot for the other three.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think you’re in for a rude awakening if you expect those 4 assets to contribute to the NHL roster next year. Hopefully the Sens 1st, really zero shot for the other three.

Not sure how you can say there's "zero" shot for the other 3, when 1 hasn't even been drafted, and the other 2 haven't played. I am hoping for some secondary scoring. I'm not expecting any of them to come into the league and put up 80+ points.

Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah I agree. I think Kaut and Bowers should a decent amount of time playing together in the A as I think that’ll be 2/3 of our 3rd line of the future.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
All I’m saying is those percentages get thrown out the window when a team loses 3 or 4 “should win games”.

They are nice to look at the last week or 2 of the season. But there’s too much hockey left to be played for those numbers to mean anything, IMO
They are just a measure of the likelihood of making the playoffs. They are accurate. Gambling companies wouldn't use them for betting if they were useless.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Not sure how you can say there's "zero" shot for the other 3, when 1 hasn't even been drafted, and the other 2 haven't played. I am hoping for some secondary scoring. I'm not expecting any of them to come into the league and put up 80+ points.

Bowers is in NCAA and barely putting up points. Expecting him in the NHL next year completely green like Jost is very Avs-like, which needless to say, is also very dumb.

Kaut isn’t even scoring in the AHL and needs to pick up his pace. Forcing him into some checking role next year instead of a second pro season in the AHL, likely as the top winger, is very dumb.

The Avs pick is hopefully a player is going to NCAA as a freshman or a player who needs to go back and lead his junior team. If it’s a Euro, get him with the Eagles. Expecting something like the 8th-18th overall pick to play in the NHL next year is... you guessed it... very dumb.

Do you want to do well next year or have another floundering season of failed development?

Other than randoms like Greer/Toninato on a 4th line or Francouz as a backup, the Avs should not be icing any rookies next season other than Makar and Hughes/Kakko.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Bowers is in NCAA and barely putting up points. Expecting him in the NHL next year completely green like Jost is very Avs-like, but also very dumb.

Kaut isn’t even scoring in the AHL and needs to pick up his pace. Forcing him into some checking role next year instead of a second pro season in the AHL, likely as the top winger, is very dumb.

The Avs pick is hopefully a player is going to NCAA as a freshman or a player who needs to go back and lead his junior team. If it’s a Euro, get him with the Eagles.

Do you want to do well next year or have another floundering season of failed development?

Other than randoms like Greer/Toninato on a 4th line or Francouz as a backup, the Avs should not be icing any rookies next season other than Makar and Hughes/Kakko.
I'm not sure why you think their development will fail. There's a lot more to hockey than putting up points, especially for a 3/4c like Bowers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Kaut has a good chance to be ready for a 3rd line gig.
I'm not sure why you think their development will fail. There's a lot more to hockey than putting up points, especially for a 3/4c like Bowers.

Doesn't mean Bowers shouldn't spend most (if not all) of next season in the AHL working on his offensive game.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If anything, he has size. Our smurfs aren't exactly putting up great numbers. Kaut is most likely an improvement over a few players.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Maybe. I’d like to see him in camp before I pencil him into the lineup. I mean I wouldn’t be opposed to one more year in the A for him. Or at least starting him there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Doesn't mean Bowers shouldn't spend most (if not all) of next season in the AHL working on his offensive game.
If anything, he has size. Our smurfs aren't exactly putting up great numbers. Kaut is most likely an improvement over a few players.

The bolded should not be a consideration in player development. If Kaut isn't ready for a 3rd line job then he shouldn't get, whether he's better than the smurfs or not. Now I think he has a good chance to be ready for a 3rd line gig and could work his way up to the 2nd line...if we end up with one...over the course of next season, but if he's not, then rushing him just because we don't have anyone better, would be dumb.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe. I’d like to see him in camp before I pencil him into the lineup. I mean I wouldn’t be opposed to one more year in the A for him. Or at least starting him there.

Oh if he's not ready then I'm all for letting him continue to marinate, but his tools & game seem like they'll translate well into a 3rd line role were he can adapt to the NHL & contribute, before steadily working his way up. But TC will be pivotal in deciding that...as will how he closes out the year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

The bolded should not be a consideration in player development. If Kaut isn't ready for a 3rd line job then he shouldn't get, whether he's better than the smurfs or not. Now I think he has a good chance to be ready for a 3rd line gig and could work his way up to the 2nd line...if we end up with one...over the course of next season, but if he's not, then rushing him just because we don't have anyone better, would be dumb.
I have no idea how he will do in the NHL, my point was that he can't be worse than what we have, so I'm sure he'll get a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->