Prospect Info: Pick #78 - Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Union College (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Imagine watching the Flyers last year and thinking it was the system that made it possible. :laugh:

It was some super skilled players who carried the team on their back. We all know it, some just can't admit it.
Dude he coaches the exact same sytem as Gallant. With and without the puck.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers could be a scary team to face in the playoffs if the PK wasn't a complete travesty.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Gallant played the hell out of Bellemare in the closing minutes with the lead. Seemed like he never left the ice toward the end of the WCF clincher.

Is that a “Gallantshell”?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Maybe for the majority of the game, but Vegas has relentless puck pursuit to close out games with a lead, while the flyers play a super passive game to hold on to a lead.
They still go into a shell but they skate way faster and take the body and check. Flyers players dont do any of that.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Maybe for the majority of the game, but Vegas has relentless puck pursuit to close out games with a lead, while the flyers play a super passive game to hold on to a lead.

The notion that Hakstol changes his system to “super passive” late in the 3rd with the lead is an utter fabrication.

They take fewer risks, but they still frequently send a forechecker deep with a 2nd forechecker being pretty aggressive.

The problem is the desperation of the opponent to score leads to heightened pressure in the Flyers’ own zone, & the team falls into a vicious cycle of failed clears & icings because they aren’t a deep team.

It’s not a system change. It’s icings, turnovers, & failed clears causing excessive defensive zone time.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The notion that Hakstol changes his system to “super passive” late in the 3rd with the lead is an utter fabrication.

They take fewer risks, but they still frequently send a forechecker deep with a 2nd forechecker being pretty aggressive.

The problem is the desperation of the opponent to score leads to heightened pressure in the Flyers’ own zone, & the team falls into a vicious cycle of failed clears & icings because they aren’t a deep team.

It’s not a system change. It’s icings, turnovers, & failed clears causing excessive defensive zone time.
Execution problems.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hilarious to me that people can watch the Flyers and think Hakstol isn't a problem.

Filppula got 16+ TOI a night last year and was hands down one of the worst players in the NHL. That was Hakstol's decision to constantly play him, he then decided Lehtera needed to be brought in and play important minutes at the end of the year.

The Flyers will under perform every year as long as he's here.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

they change to more dump ins with one forechecker and start play hagg and macdonald way more. the goal is to clog the neutral zone but the d that see the most time concede the blue as if the plague is coming

Reactions: Tripod

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So who's the first who should be executed?

145ACBFE-114C-4486-BF9B-7EB3B9EAFF97.jpeg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They still go into a shell but they skate way faster and take the body and check. Flyers players dont do any of that.
Because the Flyers players who do that are stuck on the bench for the last 10 minutes of the game. :laugh:
Mac, Hagg, Manning, Filppula, Lehtera are the guys getting double shifted and none of them could play hockey.

Hakstol is the biggest issue on the team and it's not even close.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hilarious to me that people can watch the Flyers and think Hakstol isn't a problem.

Filppula got 16+ TOI a night last year and was hands down one of the worst players in the NHL. That was Hakstol's decision to constantly play him, he then decided Lehtera needed to be brought in and play important minutes at the end of the year.

The Flyers will under perform every year as long as he's here.
All coaches have strengths & weaknesses.

How many points do you think the Flyers should have had last season? Keep in mind Mrazek gave them 17 games with an .891 save percentage.

I don’t think 98 points was underachieving.

For how much Hakstol gets painted as a moron & among the worst coaches in the league, his results with a mediocre team in a league with great parity suggest he does some things right.

I don’t think he’s a great coach. But I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as most of the “regular posters” portray. They’d have you believe he does nothing right & everything wrong. I can’t get on board with that extreme negative take on him.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

As has been explained to you multiple times, the bench management is what causes the change.

By benching everyone who has the ability to move the puck, the remaining trash players on the ice end up in a shell and then just dump the puck out and hope they can change before the opponent gets the puck back. It's indisputable that the team abandons any chance at scoring at the end of the game and just goes into the shell. That's all guys like Hagg, Mac, Filppula, Lehtera, Manning, etc could do. Hakstol knows those guys aren't going out there to score a goal.

I doubt Hakstol literally says the words "don't try to score a goal" but that's EXACTLY what his actions say.

Reactions: Tripod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->