Pick 10 first rounders from this year's draft who won't take a regular shift

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
List: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html

Looking back at the 2000 draft, there are roughly 10 players who haven't managed to stick in the NHL and look like they most likely won't ever (Jonsson, Alexeev, Yakubov, Smirnov, Nederost, Kryukov, Kolanos, Smith, Samuelsson, Taffe).

So, if you had to take 10 players from this year's draft who'll be in the same position as these players, who would you choose?

My ten (in no order really):
Vishnevsky
Varlamov
Tlusty
Grabner
Frolik
Foligno
Stewart
Sanguinetti
Sheppard
Lewis

Tougher than it looks...

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
lol@ sheppard on your list ...

can we make a wager on this...say i give you 4:1 odds

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Hoo-boy, you are sure lookin' to make some enemies 'round these parts...

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
how do you know that they won't play a shift? That is a pretty stupid thing to say, some of these players could end up being bottom pairing dmen or 3rd and 4th line grinders.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
No, it's just that sometimes he's talked about like he is a franchise defenseman which he is not.

What is a franchise defenseman to your standards. IMO he is going to be a #1 defenseman in the NHL. He won't put up more than 30 points in a season but he will be ELITE with his shutdown capabilities.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Foligno?

Even if he craps out and doesn't turn into a scoring line player, at least he can assume a 3/4th line role. I wouldn't bet money against him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
my list

1. riku helenius
2. matt corrente
3. chris stewart
4. david fischer
5. nick foligno
6. chris summers
7. patrik berglund
8. ty wishart
9. mark mitera
10. kyle okposo:help:

this was tough:banghead:

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
players like faligno, tlusty and stewart are guys who are relatively safe bets to play a regular shift even if its on the 3rd or 4th lines. Players with big upside but are by no means a garauntee are most Berglund, Sheppard and most goaltenders picked. It is for this reason a guy like Alexander Vasyunov fell to where he did. Great skillset but if he has the right mental mindframe to become an NHL player is the question mark.

Mr_Jones*

Jonathan Bernier
Riku Helenius
Semen Varlamov
Leland Irving

Goalies don't take shifts. :)

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Personally...I think the likes of Foligno and Mitera...have worst case scenario's as a 3rd/4th line winger or a 5/6 dman.

they'll play in the NHL for sure...but if they don't turn into top line or top pairing players...they'll still be able to have a good career in the NHL.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
what if this turns out to be liek the 2003 draft where it seems like most guys have played a few games at least and will most likely have 25+ guys be regulars in some capacity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->