Pick 1 Player From Any Era to Play Now in the NHL

bauerguy88

Oct 22, 2008
North East
Bob Probert just to see how he would deal with Matt Cooke, Sean Avery, and players like them.

Scott Stevens. Alot of people playing now always cut across with their heads down. Would love to see them pay for that.

Vlad Konstantinov. Same reason for wanting to see Stevens.

Pavel Bure since there is no two line pass I wonder how he would fair with that and no grabbing and holding that he had to deal with in the 90s.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
I'm going to take a different take on this and select a player from my team's history that I'd like to see on my team today. Furthermore I'm picking a player that I actually watched over his career.

I'd take Darryl Sittler for the Leafs.

Although I'd rather pick a coach if that were allowed in this thought experiment. I mean a coach. Not just a storied one. :laugh:

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Provided that interference is going to be called as it should be, I'd go with a young Gilbert Perreault.

200 pounds of flying Nijinsky on skates.

Bobby Orr once said of Perreault: "His head and shoulders go one way, his legs go the other way, and the puck is doing something else. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Joe Malone

You could argue he was on the ice for 60 minutes so how hard is it to get 44 goals in 20 games. So I'd like to see him in today's NHL with line changes and modern equipment. Plus his style was entirely unique, he stood straight up and didn't bend down at all.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would love to see a bunch of European who played their prime in the 1960's: Anatoli Firsov, Frantisek Pospisil, Jan Suchy and Vaclav Nedomansky among others.

Me too. Even the 70s ones like Kharlamov, who was alleged held back (in terms of personal stats) by the Soviet system.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I find it hard to believe that there are great players of whom we have literally no video evidence, in addition to the numerous greats whom we have little video recording of and also great players who played in leagues that were not the best in the world at the time, and some people wish they could pick players who played just 10 years ago and put them in today's NHL.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Joe Malone

You could argue he was on the ice for 60 minutes so how hard is it to get 44 goals in 20 games. So I'd like to see him in today's NHL with line changes and modern equipment. Plus his style was entirely unique, he stood straight up and didn't bend down at all.
malone was a great goalscorer, but that was a fluke, b/c of WW1.

malone scored 23 of those goals in 7 games vs ottawa when frank nighbor was out due to service in RAF.

when nighbor was in the lineup, malone scored only 1g in 3 games vs ottawa.

malone also led the league in goals in '20 b/c he scored 6g vs ottawa without nighbor at the end of the season.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I really would like to see what a healthy Kevin Stevens could do in the current NHL. During his prime in the early 1990's, there was no better left wing in hockey. He was the ultimate power forward, but what made him so special was that his skill matched his toughness. Aside from Eric Lindros and Mark Messier, I don't think there has been another forward in the last 25-30 years that could combine that level of elite offensive ability and brute force. While he was the perfect winger for Mario Lemieux, Stevens was extremely capable of creating offense on his own, and he single-handedly kept the Penguins afloat in 1992, especially in the playoffs when Mario missed 7 games. Incredible playoff performer. His career collapsed due to injuries and substance abuse. The thing is, substance abuse was far more prevalent in hockey during the 1980's and early 1990's than it is today. We all know about Fuhr and the Oilers. You wonder if he might keep his head straight in today's game. I know one thing. If Kevin Stevens was on Sidney Crosby's left wing, he probably wouldn't have gotten his head taken off with a hit.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
malone was a great goalscorer, but that was a fluke, b/c of WW1.

malone scored 23 of those goals in 7 games vs ottawa when frank nighbor was out due to service in RAF.

when nighbor was in the lineup, malone scored only 1g in 3 games vs ottawa.

malone also led the league in goals in '20 b/c he scored 6g vs ottawa without nighbor at the end of the season.

Where do you find game to game stats that go back that far?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lafleur , he would burn the league and gives high frustration to the younger generation thinking their players are the greatest thing in human history.

Cooperalls

Oiler Fan!!!
Oct 5, 2010
Dale Hawerchuck. Easily one of the most underrated players of the 80's. Alot to do with playing in Winnipeg.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Where do you find game to game stats that go back that far?
hockey summary project, which is linked in a sticky at top of this forum

some of their information is (slightly) wrong, but i checked in old newspapers (montreal gazette, ottawa citizen), and they confirmed it.

Cooperalls

Oiler Fan!!!
Oct 5, 2010
There are at least 9 centers from that era that were better than Dale Hawerchuck. And I'm not counting anyone who began playing after 1985.

Oh I'm not picking the 'best' center from the 80's. I'm picking one I'd like to bring to the modern game today. Like 'Hot Tub Time Machine', I wish Dale could do it all over again. :D

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There are at least 9 centers from that era that were better than Dale Hawerchuck. And I'm not counting anyone who began playing after 1985.

What? Who else?

Gretzky, Messier, Trottier, Stastny, I guess you could make the case for Savard. That's only 5.

Edit: Maybe Larionov if you count the Russian League, but that's still 6 at the most that I can think of.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
What? Who else?

Gretzky, Messier, Trottier, Stastny, I guess you could make the case for Savard. That's only 5.

Edit: Maybe Larionov if you count the Russian League, but that's still 6 at the most that I can think of.

That was off the top of my head so I probably was a little off. I counted Mario and Yzerman as part of Hawerchuk's era, which is questionable I guess. I was a little unfair to him. But I would definitely say that Denis Savard was better. If you count Mario and Yzerman, it's 7. Hawerchuk's prime spanned from 1981-82 to 1993-94.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad