Pick 1 Player From Any Era to Play Now in the NHL

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
After seeing Peter Forsberg lace them up again, it brought some nostalgia back, and I kind of thought who else would I love to see come back in todays NHL.

So I pose the same question to you all, if you could pick one player from any era 50,60,70,80,90,etc who would it be to play in today's NHL, and why?

I would love to see Pat Lafontaine play again in todays game. He was one of my all-time favorite players, and I would love to see his skillset in todays open ended game....I feel his career got cut short, and would love to see him skating out there once again..

how about you guys????

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Obvious ones are Mario, Wayne, and Orr.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Stevens would play in it. Or maybe Maurice Richard?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It would be fascinating to see how Eddie Shore would adapt to the modern game. Would he be a faster, better, version of Pronger? Or would he just get a ton of penalties and suspensions?

From a hfboards standpoint, it would be interesting to see Mark Messier play, so all the teenagers who just look at stats sheets 20 years later to try to discredit his trophies, can actually see how dominant he was.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah! Think he could get into 5 fights in the same game?....Think he could bring that old helmet?

Mr. Shore will also be bringing his tube skates, Wally's & psychopathic tendencies completely intact I can assure you. :squint:
Ice time is booked@Ted Reeve Arena, Goaltenders will not be permitted to leave their feet, block & tackle installed.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Doug Harvey!

He was more or less the bridge between Shore & Orr in terms of rushing defencemen, and to many if you exclude Orr, one of the best ever. Good choice.

Jacques Plante

Aha. Goaltenders. Early Plante, when he flopped alot more similar to Hasek then sure. But the later version, standup?. He'd get slaughtered. Sawchuk or even Roger Crozier in his prime, unorthodox acrobatiste's would likely have a better chance in todays game IMO, though Crozier at about 5'7" would be out. A hybrid Buterflyer' like Hall or Tony Esposito might be your best bet if you hoped to win...... Still, Im kinda liking Les Binkley as my first choice overall..... Lester & Prayers... Kinda sounds like an interesting Rockabilly act no?. :)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For the sake of curiosity I would be very interested to see basically any pre WW2 star or Soviet era star playing today against the world's best. For entertainment value I would probably go with Orr.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For the sake of curiosity I would be very interested to see basically any pre WW2 star or Soviet era star playing today against the world's best. For entertainment value I would probably go with Orr.

Ya, Orr'd clearly be the most entertaining, unless we permitted Eddie Shore to use his roof beam suspended block & tackle rope kits with harness attachments, Minions pulling the players clear off the ice when they waivered from the Shore Doctrine of playing lanes.....

Tretiak would be my choice from the Soviet era.
Pre WW2 - all joking aside, Eddie Shore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad