Physicality

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
For those who have played/are playing at a decently high level:

How can I overcome being soft? I mean I throw some hits (not huge ones by any means...) but I always shy away from big contact. To put it another way, the phrase "take a hit to make a play" doesn't apply to me at all. I've been wrecked my fair share of times and got up, but for some reason I always shy away. I really think this is hindering my ability to be a better player considering dangling usually never works for me.

I'm a Center/Winger and average sized with a small bit of muscle if that helps at all.

Rebels21

Jul 6, 2011
Garrison, New York
Playing against a team with friends try to be the best one out there have something to joke about after the game. I love hitting a friend then yelling " how'd the ice taste?"

When its some random team I just look at every player on their team and say ***** that guy.

hsing

Jan 10, 2008
you could try to practice with a defenseman always in your face so you would be used to get hit.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Good stuff so far. Thanks
Playing against a team with friends try to be the best one out there have something to joke about after the game. I love hitting a friend then yelling " how'd the ice taste?"

When its some random team I just look at every player on their team and say ***** that guy.
I don't really need motivation for hitting people, I can do that fine. It's just being willing to take a hit that I'm having trouble with. Solid advice though.
you could try to practice with a defenseman always in your face so you would be used to get hit.
Interesting idea, I'll ask one of my defenders to do that at every practice :nod:

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
The advice that worked for me was to not think about getting hit at all, or try shutting off the part of your brain that is scared of getting hit using some concentration method. Also make sure your weight is on the foot closest to the dman when getting hit and also have both your hands on your stick. And also, NEVER glide when you're about to get hit. Keep your feet moving.

Nov 12, 2010
usually I don't get hit, or I don't notice it. Then again, it might be because I'm literally heads and shoulders taller than most everyone else in the league

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The advice that worked for me was to not think about getting hit at all, or try shutting off the part of your brain that is scared of getting hit using some concentration method. Also make sure your weight is on the foot closest to the dman when getting hit and also have both your hands on your stick. And also, NEVER glide when you're about to get hit. Keep your feet moving.
I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks
usually I don't get hit, or I don't notice it. Then again, it might be because I'm literally heads and shoulders taller than most everyone else in the league

Lucky you :laugh: unfortunately I'm usually one of the smaller guys out there

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
For those who have played/are playing at a decently high level:

How can I overcome being soft? I mean I throw some hits (not huge ones by any means...) but I always shy away from big contact. To put it another way, the phrase "take a hit to make a play" doesn't apply to me at all. I've been wrecked my fair share of times and got up, but for some reason I always shy away. I really think this is hindering my ability to be a better player considering dangling usually never works for me.

I'm a Center/Winger and average sized with a small bit of muscle if that helps at all.

What level are you playing? Is everyone more or less at the same age and level?

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
It's ironic that they call it physicality when it is mostly mental. Nobody is going to be able to talk you into it or tell you to just do it. Playing physical is a mentality that you have to have. Bad thing is..... you don't have it. Good thing is.... it's something you can change. It's like anything else that you want, you have to make yourself do it. It mostly has to do with confidence so I would suggest to start by putting yourself in situations to succeed so that your confidence will grow.

Your best place to be physical and be the aggressor is in your offensive zone when your team loses control of the puck. Try and quickly diagnose how the opponent will be trying to get the puck out of the zone. If the defenseman takes the puck behind the net that is a great place to deliver a hit. You are moving and the defenseman is moving slowly or stationary in a confined space and looking for somewhere to pass and not concemtrating on you. Don't concentrate on anything except hitting his torso with your shoulder. Don't look at anything else, don't turn and chase the puck he just passed (unless it is long gone) He is still fair game for a second or two after he unloads the puck so just keep coming and tell yourself that you want to hit the boards and this guy is in the way. Hit THROUGH the guy.

Another place is the winger waiting for a breakout pass on the half boards. Same situation but with a little more space for the opponent to work without having the net in the way. Again, disregard whatever else is happening around you. Zero in and deliver your hit.

I would suggest leaving the neutral zone alone until you feel a lot more comfortable with your hitting ability. Just cover your guy and play defense.

Depending on what position you are playing and the circumstance, hitting in the defensive zone may vary. If you are in the slot you may be able to catch a forward coming behind the net or trying to cycle in the corner.

As far as not getting railed yourself. If you are chasing a loose puck in the corner, try to vary your speed going in and coming out. Coast in, accelerate out. Have a plan before you get there with what you want to do with the puck. Make a head fake before you get there and try and look over the ooposite shoulder as the direction you want to go. You want to try and get the opponent to stop skating and coast because he doesn't know where you are going. Try and skate directly at the puck. Most guys if they are going to go left they will skate towrd the right side of the puck or even further out. That tells me as a defender exactly where you are going to go. If you go straight at it the opponent will have to either guess or stay right behind you and shouldn'rt be able to get a clean shot at you.

Once you gain the mentality of being an aggressive hitter you will also know better how to avoid hits because you will know what the opponent is thinking about doing to you and you can counter act it.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I wasn't born with the ideal body to be "physical" in hockey. Tall, lanky, think swimmers/pitcher/tennis players body. However I was born with the mindset.

Whoever said it's mental nailed it. Whenever I got clocked I got angry and it was on. I tried to hit anything that moved in college especially after I got hit that first time in a game. Did I bounce off and wind up on my butt some of the time? Sure did. Maybe it's personality, maybe it's testosterone level, etc. but I think you either have it or you don't. Gretzky wasn't a physical player and had a decent career:)

If you don't have the mindset to be a physical, in your face, and at times a nasty player don't worry about it. Focus on scoring goals. Those guys get more chicks anyway:)

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I wasn't born with the ideal body to be "physical" in hockey. Tall, lanky, think swimmers/pitcher/tennis players body. However I was born with the mindset.

Whoever said it's mental nailed it. Whenever I got clocked I got angry and it was on. I tried to hit anything that moved in college especially after I got hit that first time in a game. Did I bounce off and wind up on my butt some of the time? Sure did. Maybe it's personality, maybe it's testosterone level, etc. but I think you either have it or you don't. Gretzky wasn't a physical player and had a decent career:)

If you don't have the mindset to be a physical, in your face, and at times a nasty player don't worry about it. Focus on scoring goals. Those guys get more chicks anyway:)

That's better than me. I'm closer built to marty st louis. :(

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Being average size there will always be players bigger than you that pretty much will have an advantage at taking you down. Choose your situations wisely and choose the right moment/move to handle the bigger guys, don't just charge in cause you are suppose to.

Of course its alot to live up to...but I think one of the best players in terms of knowing when to be physical is Datsyuk. Average size if not smaller for a NHLr, and he rarely gets taken down to the ice when hes playing physical.

Also not talkin about him just dekin, if you see he actually will go into the rough areas and take some hits and maintain control of the puck well enough to make a play. Not to mention hes taken down some pretty big guys with hits cause he times it right and puts himself in the best position to make sure they get the worst of it.

Never played at that kind of physical level, but just my thoughts on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad