PHPA could sue NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
I honestly do not see how they can possibly win this case. The league is not telling the players they cannot make more than $75,000 in the minors. They are just saying that if they want to play in the NHL they will probably have to make less than that. There is nothing in any of these players contracts that guarantees that they will/should have an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
HABitual said:
Link

Just trying to recover from a lockout and now this bad publicity :shakehead
good, i hope they burn those owners to the proverbial cross. those rats deserve whatever pain comes there way for deciding their yachts and cavier were more important than the NHL.

dr

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
Spongebob said:
I honestly do not see how they can possibly win this case. The league is not telling the players they cannot make more than $75,000 in the minors. They are just saying that if they want to play in the NHL they will probably have to make less than that. There is nothing in any of these players contracts that guarantees that they will/should have an opportunity to play in the NHL.

They have a very good case, that part of the CBA has an effect of imposing a cap on wages of about $75,000 in the AHL which in turn would also have the affect of suppressing wages for each player in the AHL. In other words it would create an artificial cap on individual wages in the AHL. They have an interesting case here and my guess is we'll be hearing more about this in the near future.

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
DR said:
good, i hope they burn those owners to the proverbial cross. those rats deserve whatever pain comes there way for deciding their yachts and cavier were more important than the NHL.

dr
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

HughJass*

Spongebob said:
I honestly do not see how they can possibly win this case.

I do. If they really want to win, the AHL/ECHL players should refuse to play. How would the NHL solve that?

I'm still split on this, though. I'm still not a big fan of someone having to clear waivers and move his family just because of he makes too much money in minor league hockey. I'll have to hear more arguments.

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
Storminator16 said:
I do. If they really want to win, the AHL/ECHL players should refuse to play. How would the NHL solve that?

I don't know if that would solve anything... probably hurt the players in the long run. What a way to celebrate the AHL's 70th.. with a union strike!

I just can't believe it took this long for someone to make a statement. I know this is one of the first things that came to my attention after the CBA was announced, the $75,000 thing with waivers just stood out.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
The title of the thread should probably be changed to: "PHPA could sue NHL".

I wonder if they could just sue the NHL, though. I think they'd have to go after the NHLPA as well. They are basically saying that both groups negotiated outside of their bounds by imposing terms that effect members outside of the bargaining unit.

Interesting idea. I hope it happens. I was hoping to see at least one decent lawsuit out of this whole fiasco.

egotist

Jul 5, 2005
Agreeance

The PHPA is the only real "union" in sports that in any way shape or form resembles the traditional trade unions (Example, CAW). Their members make gains in benefits and rights, their raison d'etre is not to increase salaries as per NHLPA, MLBPA, and NBAPA (where "benefits" is a misnomer and a term of "entitled luxuries" is more appropo).

Notice I've left out the NFLPA. I would move them closer to the PHPA in this regard. These are organizations where there is a severe and almost liquid fluctuation among their respective Memberships. As such, it can be convincingly argued that these are athletes who are in need of protection from ownership abuse in a much realer sense than any of the previously mentioned PA's.

Coming from this standpoint, and that many NHL'ers were former PHPA'ers, you would think the NHLPA would step outside its self-interest and look out for the best interests of the wider industry. Not so here. The NHLPA is as much to blame for the CBA as the ownership is.

Simply put, this is a case where you have a bureacracy of agents and players, in co-ordination with the owners suppressing the right of those beneath their quality to earn fair compensation for their efforts. "Stomping" or "throwing them under the bus" would also be sufficient characterization in this case.

It's anything but clear cut, but I just thought I would mention that you've got two equally destestable bodies in both the NHL and NHLPA.

The interesting thing is that the average player on the ice does not have a clue about the implications of this agreement (both the NHL player and PHPA member). There will be resistance on all sides of this issue, so the real story out of this will be the point of law that results. I expect that is why the NFLPA is involved here. I don't think the PHPA is financing an antitrust suit on their own, and considering that the effects of a decision will ripple out over the entire sports industry I don't think its unreasonable to see other PA's join in. In fact, they would be remiss if they didn't. Such a precedent could affect all of them.

(Note NFLPA involvement: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051013/UNION13/TPSports/Hockey)

What a sad commentary on the state of the NHLPA's stature in the sports labour community that all of their contemporaries just may sit up and exclaim "this is so bad, even we can't accept it!"

Bravo, Goodenow, Linden and Saskin. Bravo.

Last edited:

ABunker

Feb 11, 2005
egotist said:
The PHPA is the only real "union" in sports that in any way shape or form resembles the tradditional trade unions. Their members make gains in benefits and rights, their raison d'etre is not to increase salaries as per NHLPA, MLBPA, and NBAPA.

Notice I've left out the NFLPA. Again, these are organizations where there is a sever fluctuation and lack of stability among their respective Memberships. As such, it can be convincingly argued that these are athletes who are much more in need of protection from ownership abuse than any of the previously mentioned PA's.

Coming from this standpoint, and that many NHL'ers were former PHPA'ers, you would think the NHLPA would step outside its self-interest and look out for the best interests of the wider industry. Not so here. The NHLPA is as much to blame for the CBA as the ownership is.

This is a case where you have a bureacracy of agents and players, suppressing the right of those beneath their quality to earn fair compensation for their efforts.

It's anything but clear cut, but I just thought I would mention that you've got two equally destestable bodies in both the NHL and NHLPA.

The interesting thing is that the average player on the ice does not have a clue about the implications of this agreement (both the NHL player and PHPA member). There will be resistance on all sides of this issue, so the real story out of this will be the point of law that results. I expect that is why the NFLPA is involved here. I don't think the PHPA is financing an antitrust suit on their own, and considering that the effects of a decision will ripple out over the entire sports industry I don't think its unreasonable to see other PA's join in.

A sad commentary on the state of the NHLPA's stature in the sports labour community.

The linked story does not mention the NFLPA. Is it mentioned in another article somewhere else?

egotist

Jul 5, 2005
ABunker said:
The linked story does not mention the NFLPA. Is it mentioned in another article somewhere else?

I edited and added the link in my original post.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wouldnt a lawsuit have to be brought against the NHLPA as well..since what they are whining about is a COLLECTIVE bargaining agreement?

Sure...minor leaugers sue major leaguers. That would be fun to watch when one of em gets called up to play in the show.

egotist

Jul 5, 2005
Right you are, and the article in the Star actually makes this point. The Rick Westhead article is by ffar the most comprehensive. Here's the quote:

"Kessler also warned the NHLPA that the new CBA might present the union with anti-trust complications.

'It is black-letter law that a union forfeits its exemption from the antitrust laws when it is clearly shown that it has agreed with one set of employers to impose a certain wage scale on other bargaining units," Kessler wrote.'"

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...9&call_pageid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
egotist: These are organizations where there is a severe and almost liquid fluctuation among their respective Memberships.
Not sure what you mean by this??? can you explain? :confused:

I was discussing this issue on another board, and it unfortunatey seems as though it does not interest too many people....I have felt all along that the new CBA hurts minor leaguers and entry level NHL'ers more than anyone else...kind of sickening.

egotist

Jul 5, 2005
MePutPuckInNet said:
egotist: These are organizations where there is a severe and almost liquid fluctuation among their respective Memberships.
Not sure what you mean by this??? can you explain? :confused:

I was discussing this issue on another board, and it unfortunatey seems as though it does not interest too many people....I have felt all along that the new CBA hurts minor leaguers and entry level NHL'ers more than anyone else...kind of sickening.

What I mean to say -and I'm not saying it clearly- is that their memberships fluctuate. PHPA Members come and go to a large extent at the whims of their teams. Sports unions are unlike most other unions because as a rule they do NOT negotiate job security (otherwise you could never cut players), they negotiate compensation and benefits depending on their status.

The NFLPA is somewhat similar to the PHPA in that no player has a guaranteed contract and can be turfed out of the NFL and the NFLPA (there are exceptions). The NBAPA, MLBPA and NHLPA all deal in guaranteed contracts (though none do so exclusively). The PHPA is sort of a hybrid between these entities but the vast majority of these players hop between professional leagues (between the E, the U, the W, the N, and Euro leagues) so that's where I was going with it.

Last edited:

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Storminator16 said:

The same way it solved it's fight with the NHLPA: Let them rot. Minor leaguers - 80% of which will never spend significant time in the NHL, wont concern the NHL all that much.

Of course, if PHPA players sat out, they would be staging a wildcat strike against the AHL and ECHL, not the NHL. I suspect the AHL and ECHL would then take the PHPA to court to end such a strike.

I'm still split on this, though. I'm still not a big fan of someone having to clear waivers and move his family just because of he makes too much money in minor league hockey. I'll have to hear more arguments.

I am not a big fan of it either, as I believe it fills a non existant loophole. That said, I am not certian the PHPA has much of a case. A player who signs an AHL/ECHL contract still has the right to sign for more than $75k. There is no cap being forced by the NHL/NHLPA. Players have the right to sign for what they believe is fair, and if they believe that signing for $75k in exchange for a shot at the NHL is fair, that is their decision.

Brent Burns Beard