OT: Photography

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Anybody here interested in photography?
I've been an enthusiastic amateur for a few years now and if anyone has any questions about photography, equipment, or just general photography questions I would be happy to do my best to answer them.

Here are some of the photos that I've taken. I generally prefer to photograph wildlife, birds, and sports.

Mule Deer buck in a field of Canola - outside of Okotoks
20180723-_DSC7230 cropped.jpg

Osprey eating lunch - Fish Creek Provincial Park

Bald Eagle - outside of Okotoks

Bull riding - 2017 Calgary Stampede

Aurora Borealis light pillars - Castle Junction Banff

Dawn - City of Calgary skyline

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I use my cell phone camera.

In all seriousness, I need to work on my technique to take better pictures on my cellphone camera. I do have a mirror less and am thinking of nabbing an RX100, but it's not often convenient to lug around an external camera with me.

What are some things to pay attention to Rubi? I know of:
- Rule of 3
- Angles
- Steady hand

What else can I realistically play with in terms of point and shooting that could improve photography? (I'll share with you a special spot of mine where you can take nice pics of larches without doing multi hour hikes in return ;))

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I use my cell phone camera.

In all seriousness, I need to work on my technique to take better pictures on my cellphone camera. I do have a mirror less and am thinking of nabbing an RX100, but it's not often convenient to lug around an external camera with me.

What are some things to pay attention to Rubi? I know of:
- Rule of 3
- Angles
- Steady hand

What else can I realistically play with in terms of point and shooting that could improve photography? (I'll share with you a special spot of mine where you can take nice pics of larches without doing multi hour hikes in return ;))
As you've noted, the rule of thirds is a big one... although every so often it pays to disregard it.
I also find that shooting from a different than normal perspective helps contribute towards some great shots. For example, say you want to take a pic of a dog.. most people just take pics while standing normally. Instead, try getting down to the dog's level. It brings a whole different perspective to your photos. This works for a lot of different situations.
Sony makes some great cameras and you can't go wrong with the RX100. I like a camera that allows me to shoot in manual, which the RX100 does. I like to control the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc instead of the camera making those decisions for me. I always shoot in full manual, with the exception of the ISO... with the type of photography that I like to shoot I usually leave that on Auto.
Those compact mirrorless cameras don't take up a lot of space. I don't have one myself (I have Nikon DSLRs) but if I did I'd probably end up keeping it in my vehicle glove box all the time... just in case I see something great that I want to photograph.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am supposed to be teaching Photography in high school right now (combined with Yearbook) and I have zero clue about photography. Or Yearbook, for that matter...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I've been an enthusiastic amateur for a few years now and if anyone has any questions about photography, equipment, or just general photography questions I would be happy to do my best to answer them.

Here are some of the photos that I've taken. I generally prefer to photograph wildlife, birds, and sports.

Those are nice shots

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Saw a golden Eagle 2 weekends ago I wish I would have had my camera for as he was literally on the side of the road sitting. Likely could have got within 100 yards... Then a bald eagle this last Saturday. I photograph as value added for web development. Anything over 20 pictures for a site and I refer a photographer.

Great work BTW. Friend of mine is photographing the WHL right now. Sports photography is way more difficult because of the speed. Trying to get story within a photo in that setting is very difficult.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I am supposed to be teaching Photography in high school right now (combined with Yearbook) and I have zero clue about photography. Or Yearbook, for that matter...

You're a teacher? Do we all seem like Junior High kids to you?

I need to get back into picture making... I do nudes exclusively... Through windows.

Reactions: SKRusty

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, I guess you can say I dabble a little :sarcasm:

TBwemi1.jpg

Reactions: Rubi and SKRusty

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Haha, I shoot weddings on the side and you can't (or shouldn't) do those with just one camera and I'm a stickler for consistency so when I upgrade bodies I have to buy two so it adds up quickly. And by the time I upgrade bodies, the old ones are two or three generations behind and I wouldn't get much for them so it's worth more to me as spares than cash in pocket.

The D7200 is probably redundant now cause I bought that out of necessity. Not sure what I'd get for it or if anyone would even be interested any more cause everyone always likes the latest and greatest gear.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It's his job. Grow up.
Don't think Rubi was being critical. I think it was more of a statement of for him it was too much either for money reasons or the inability to use what he has. Did not read it as a criticism at all.

Trying to use 1 camera is too much for me. I have an old Rebel that works for what I need it for.

UC has a wicked collection. I like the antiques on the bottom.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Don't think Rubi was being critical. I think it was more of a statement of for him it was too much either for money reasons or the inability to use what he has. Did not read it as a criticism at all.

Trying to use 1 camera is too much for me. I have an old Rebel that works for what I need it for.

UC has a wicked collection. I like the antiques on the bottom.
Spot on.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So do your students call your Mr or Dr? Haha I guess it beats getting stuck teaching gym.
Dr. !

Took some getting used to, but it's what the school wants.

And god damn it. I realize I could've used the response "It's my job. Grow up." earlier in response to Corpus X's query.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Dr. !

Took some getting used to, but it's what the school wants.

And god damn it. I realize I could've used the response "It's my job. Grow up." earlier in response to Corpus X's query.

Totally missed the reference to Francis... Really was hoping he would get fired the other day.

Grinding time away since youtube is on the fritz and of course I was planning on doing some live streaming and uploading.

/good Grief Charlie Brown.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd actually like to teach photography if the opportunity came up. A few months ago The Camera Store here in Calgary was accepting equipment donations for a volunteer-powered, non-profit organization that teaches kids about photography and I had some stuff to unload (shocking, I know). I considered offering to help, but it turned out it was an Edmonton organization and they didn't have anything like that here.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yes, I got into it for a few years and fell completely in love with it. I'm at work now so can't post pictures directly but if you want you can see some of my stuff on Insta: @shotsfromrichard.

I'm pretty amateur and just got an A7r ii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad