Phone survey about the lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH74

Jul 24, 2004
Tonight I received a call from a survey company about the current lockout in the NHL. They asked me about my general knowledge of the situation, what was my perception of the owners, players, their statements and positions. They asked if I would go to or watch games with replacement players, if I beleived the owners would cut the prices of tickets with those players, etc. Though I don't know who paid for this, I sensed that it was from the NHLPA by the way the questions were asked. A little bit biased in favor of the players. I'm in Montreal, I don't know if they did this in another city across Canada or the States. Whoever it was, it's about time someone starts to care about what the fans think.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
CH74 said:
Tonight I received a call from a survey company about the current lockout in the NHL. They asked me about my general knowledge of the situation, what was my perception of the owners, players, their statements and positions. They asked if I would go to or watch games with replacement players, if I beleived the owners would cut the prices of tickets with those players, etc. Though I don't know who paid for this, I sensed that it was from the NHLPA by the way the questions were asked. A little bit biased in favor of the players. I'm in Montreal, I don't know if they did this in another city across Canada or the States. Whoever it was, it's about time someone starts to care about what the fans think.

A-*******MEN :mad:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
BLONG7 said:
The PA needs to recognize that we cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, and not the name on the back. :mad:

Finally. Yes, we fans dont care if they sign UFAs. We dont need our team to have the best players. Any old replacement will do. We dont need to have the best players on our team, we just cheer for the crest on the front whoever is occupying it, no matter how lousy they are.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Finally. Yes, we fans dont care if they sign UFAs. We dont need our team to have the best players. Any old replacement will do. We dont need to have the best players on our team, we just cheer for the crest on the front whoever is occupying it, no matter how lousy they are.
Sarcasm noted... however the bottom line is that most of the members of the PA would come back, and play in the NHL... and who's to say that there are not some guys out there that never made the NHL who wouldn't put on a great show with a ton of heart and effort like most third and fourth liners do now... leave the Modano's,Jagr's,guerin's at home these guys may be the stars, but there not the guys I like to watch!

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
BLONG7 said:
Sarcasm noted... however the bottom line is that most of the members of the PA would come back, and play in the NHL...

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that this is true? It is Fantasy Island.

and who's to say that there are not some guys out there that never made the NHL who wouldn't put on a great show with a ton of heart and effort like most third and fourth liners do now... leave the Modano's,Jagr's,guerin's at home these guys may be the stars, but there not the guys I like to watch!

So why do you complain if a big revenue team hires the stars? You can have just as much fun watching third and fourth liners - with their ton of heart - wear the home team jersey. What's the beef?

Tom

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
thinkwild said:

Yup, that's exactly right. You probably think you're being sarcastic, but for those of us who've cheered for years for some of the most pathetic teams in the league, it's bang on.

Is there any difference between a replacement player and an Andy Schliebener or Nathan Lafeyette? Hardly.

MacDaddy TLC*

thinkwild said:

Welcome to Maple Leaf Gardens, circa 1968-1990

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
PecaFan said:
You probably think you're being sarcastic,

I thought the same thing after I posted that. It was meant as sarcasm, but in fact, it is my point. You should be willing to grow with your team instead of covetously casting glances at other teams players

but for those of us who've cheered for years for some of the most pathetic teams in the league, it's bang on.

As a Sens fan, I think we can safely say we hold the standard by which pathetic teams are measured. I dont think any of the rest of you can hold a candle to the depths and lenghts to which our teams have sucked. We had to grow patiently with our players, but it turned out that journey was worth it. If you arent willing to experience agony, you cannot appreciate ecstacy. We have succesfully so far, built our team to contender status as the smallest of small markets.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
thinkwild said:

Hey, he is right. We love the players, but are devoted to the teams. I adore Ryan Smyth, he is absolutely my favorite player but if the Oilers were to trade him I would still be an Oiler fan. I would wish Smyth well and hope he wins a cup, but not at the expense of my Oilers.

When push comes to shove, the team is all that matters, not the individuals.

That is why the players will lose the battle of the fans, the fans are far more devoted to the team then the man. Simply because as a hockey fan we have to be. There will always be other players, but will there always be another owner? In your town? If not then you lose both, the player and the team, and that is far to much to risk.

But hey :) just my thoughts :)

YellHockey*

thinkwild said:
As a Sens fan, I think we can safely say we hold the standard by which pathetic teams are measured. I dont think any of the rest of you can hold a candle to the depths and lenghts to which our teams have sucked.

Or the depths of how many times we've been told that the Senators are not long for Ottawa.

We were told that Ottawa would never get an expansion team.

We were told that the Corel Centre would never be built.

We were told that the team would be moved if tax breaks weren't granted. The tax breaks were granted and then revoked.

We were told that the Senators would move when they filed for bankruptcy protection.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
thinkwild said:
As a Sens fan, I think we can safely say we hold the standard by which pathetic teams are measured. I dont think any of the rest of you can hold a candle to the depths and lenghts to which our teams have sucked.

You've got to be kidding. "Ooh, look at us, we had to endure a whole *four* long years as a pathetic team before we made the playoffs". And that was during the expansion years, when you're *supposed* to suck. In fact, you were *lucky* to suck so much during that time, because the first overall picks allow you to become great. And you have been a great team ever since.

The Sens have *nothing* comparable to what Hartford/Carolina, Vancouver, Colorado/Jersey, Leafs, and Wings fans had to endure over the years. Hell, even Tampa had a far worse time of it, until this spring.

Recent success by Jersey and Detroit softens the blow of what they had to go through. Toronto has been 15 years since they've had any troubles, but no Cup of course.

Carolina and Vancouver *by far* are the suckiest teams ever in the NHL. These two teams are still *hundreds* of games under .500 all time.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ok, you win, Ottawa was not the suckiest team of all time. In fact we were *lucky* to suck. Thats how we got Yashin, Daigle, and Bonk. No team should be denied that luck by a cap, to properly rebuild

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
ottawa

Sure we had to endure 4 long crap years (among the worst in NHL history) but there is a lot more that us Sens fans have endured than just one ice problems. The off-ice "problems" in Ottawa have been greater than any other team in the league currently, except for maybe Pittsburgh.

We have had a long strange run so far in the NHL,and yet despite all the naysayers all the people who said we could never keep our team together, the team would move , the fans were bad etc... well we're doing just fine among the healthiest in the league, and this is without any cap.

The league is great cause you have equality of opportuntiy. Time and time again, ignorant fans point to salary discrepancies as if they mean something. Winning teams have big payrolls, sure, but they win first then big payroll 2nd. thus , any NHL market can support a winner since you must win before you spend in 95% of the markets. Besides, the only way to win currently is to draft and trade for a lot of good young players and form a core that must be tweaked over several years... like 4-8 years... dependent on how much your team chokes (see: Senators!)

We've also had one of the toughest playoff runs as a club in the league as well, counting those teams in the playoffs consistently.

Yet we think we can win. If we're the 4th smallest market and think we can win, why is everyone else so ignorant to the beauty of opportunity that exists in this league for every market from San Jose to Ottawa to Dallas to New York?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
PecaFan said:
Carolina and Vancouver *by far* are the suckiest teams ever in the NHL. These two teams are still *hundreds* of games under .500 all time.

For all-time winning percentages, there are four teams worse than Carolina and six teams worse than Vancouver. And Vancouver isn't very far behind New Jersey.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
kmad said:
For all-time winning percentages, there are four teams worse than Carolina and six teams worse than Vancouver. And Vancouver isn't very far behind New Jersey.

All of which are 90's and later expansion teams. If they can manage to suck for *twenty* more years consecutively, they'll manage to surpass Vancouver and Carolina's futility rates. And note that one of these teams is currently passing the Cup around. And San Jose has as many or more playoff series wins starting from literally nothing than the two already established teams.

I already pointed out how long Jersey was terrible, but both Jersey and Colorado have their recent Cups lately to console themselves with.

Saying Vancouver "isn't very far behind New Jersey" is kinda like saying I'm "not very far behind a multiple Lotto 6/49" winner. All I need to do is win the lottery three times and I'll be tied. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->