Phoenix XXXIV: Project Mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Woke up this morning to the radio (I think it was CHOM), take it for what it's worth, but the announcer was relating some quotes from Bettman telling Winnipeg to make sure they are ready, season tickets and all.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
No, they don't. NBC and VS pretty much show these teams:

Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Caps, Hawks, Wings. Rinse and repeat. VERY RARELY will VS. actually change it up a bit but NBC... no chance. Same teams week in, week out. Get's rather boring if you ask me.

Well those are the teams that have big fanbases. NBC doesn't show hockey games out of charity.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Worst thread title ever :sarcasm:

The interview today on 590 really didn't bring anything new except maybe confirm that TNSE is in the picture. Bettman sure seems adamant in keeping the team in Phoenix but I guess we all knew that...

Bettman only wants them to stay to prove to himself he does nothing wrong, the most arrogant, bullheaded, overbearing, self righteous commissioner in sports continues hurt the game to prove he knows more than anyone else.

Sunbelt hockey is a failure. Period.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
i really do not understand how the NHL can justify keeping the team in PHX while it is not making any money and it never has. what is the point? its not very smart.

Other than Winnipeg, is there any other city that is close to ready that could take on a new team as soon as next season?

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Of course they have big fanbases, they get every opportunity to build a fanbase when they're in every televised game

I don't think people magically turn on a television, see the Flyers and Pens playing, and because of that say "I'm going to be a Flyers fan".

i really do not understand how the NHL can justify keeping the team in PHX while it is not making any money and it never has. what is the point? its not very smart.

There's a good quote from a guy that used to play in the NFL along the lines of "potential is a word with a French root that means you're not worth a damn yet". They're in Phoenix for potential of what Phoenix could come into. The Coyotes are a bit like Matt Leinart and he could potentially be a great NFL quarterback when the Arizona Cardinals drafted him. After a couple years of developing him, they gave him the ball, realized they'd overstated his future prospects and he was unable to meet the potential they thought he had, and cut him. The NHL here are cutting their losses because while they want to still believe in the Phoenix market as Bettman's comments show, they don't believe in it to the point that they're willing to pay the bills.

Last edited:

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Bettman only wants them to stay to prove to himself he does nothing wrong, the most arrogant, bullheaded, overbearing, self righteous commissioner in sports continues hurt the game to prove he knows more than anyone else.

I'd say it's more fair to paint it as: in some cities it is, in some cities it is not.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Alright then. It's been a disaster in Phoenix, but has done well in cities like Dallas or LA. It still shows that the Yotes gotta go though.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So sometime between now and June 22 this deal gets completed one way or another. Unless Mayor Scruggs decides to eat another years' worth of losses I guess.

We should have held a pool to predict the date a final keep 'em or move 'em is made.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Last week I was sure the Yotes were going to WPG, now I simply don't know what to believe any longer with all the back room last second maneuvering. I just want this soap opera to be over so we can get on with our lives......

Ulfie

Jan 11, 2011
According to Bettman's 1050 sports radio interview (TSN) today, CoG is paying the bills. He enforced that on the show, and didn't outright admit they are covering the bills, whether or not they really are.

Happily, the CoG has 12.5 million of the parking garage money from Ellman to help. Unfortunately, there was only 1 garage fund. This was already pretty creative. It's hard to know how they will cover another 25 million for 2011-2012.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
According to Bettman's 1050 sports radio interview (TSN) today, CoG is paying the bills. He enforced that on the show, and didn't outright admit they are covering the bills, whether or not they really are.

Happily, the CoG has 12.5 million of the parking garage money from Ellman to help. Unfortunately, there was only 1 garage fund. This was already pretty creative. It's hard to know how they will cover another 25 million for 2011-2012.

Charge for parking?

smokes

May 26, 2009

Recently, the losses for the year were pegged at about 40 million, less playoff revenue. A long playoff run would have helped reduce that number significantly. After only two home games, though, I wonder what the final number will be...:(

Anyone know how much money might be made with each home playoff game?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Of course they have big fanbases, they get every opportunity to build a fanbase when they're in every televised game

then you clearly don't have an understanding on how to build a fanbase. Being on NBC doesn't create a fanbase. Consistent winning, building a solid relationship with the fans & creating a strong organization does that. Getting on TV is the reward for it....

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
There's a reason Las Vegas has no pro teams.

Yep, busted housing market, high unemployment, highly transient population base, there is simply no way I could see such a team hitting decent season ticket numbers, and depending on tourists filling the seats involves riding the ebb and flow of the economy, which is always a risky bet.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

It isn't Bettman who runs the league, that would be the BoG. They are the ones who you want to blame. They continue to buy into this notion....

smokes

May 26, 2009
Yep, busted housing market, high unemployment, highly transient population base, there is simply no way I could see such a team hitting decent season ticket numbers, and depending on tourists filling the seats involves riding the ebb and flow of the economy, which is always a risky bet.

I'm quite sure it also has something to do with the negative perception associated with a city that exists largely due to gambling.

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006

I'm quite sure it also has something to do with the negative perception associated with a city that exists largely due to gambling.
Don't forget legalized prostitution and chronic public drunkeness. :yo:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, out of the two of you, clearly it's Gary that's the arrogant know-it-all....

You just think he's a big meanie because he doesn't do what you want him to do. If you don't like the way he runs his league, vote with your remote and stop watching.

I don't think people magically turn on a television, see the Flyers and Pens playing, and because of that say "I'm going to be a Flyers fan".

I don't think that people magically turn on a television, see the Pens and Flyers playing, and because of that say "I'm going to be a Blue Jackets fan".

People, in general, become fans of the teams that they are most exposed to. That's why the Leafs have such a strong following across Canada - when you see the same team every Saturday night for decades, they start to mean something to you.

Vic Rattlehead*

I don't think that people magically turn on a television, see the Pens and Flyers playing, and because of that say "I'm going to be a Blue Jackets fan".

People, in general, become fans of the teams that they are most exposed to. That's why the Leafs have such a strong following across Canada - when you see the same team every Saturday night for decades, they start to mean something to you.

Makes sense.

But what incentive do these national networks have to air CBJ/PHX/FLA? If they know that the giants (Boston, Philly, NYR, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington) will pull in ratings, why not maximize the exposure for the bigger markets/more successful franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->