Phoenix XXXIII: Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
It has been argued whether or not places in Westgate can sustain business if the team leaves. I live near the arena, the times I go to Westgate on non game nights (few and far between) the place is a ghost town. Then there are also the arena/concessions employees that would be out of a job. Perhaps they will keep that staff for the 15-20 events the arena may hold during the year, but they would have to make cuts I would guess.

I thought Jobing.com Arena was one of the busiest in North America for concerts.

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
Knowing how Lawless blows things out of proportion I don't think so. I think it will be more of what he wrote in todays paper that his "sources" confirm the NHL will give Glendale & Hulsizer a set deadline next week. And that another 'source" confirms True North is the only option being considered. true North has been so tight lipped I don't think the word of an offer to buy will come from True North but rather from the NHL itself.

Possible, I know Lawless gets worked up too much on things everyone knows about.
I'm sticking with my original guess for personal reasons

BuffaloAZ

Sep 24, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I thought Jobing.com Arena was one of the busiest in North America for concerts.

That I don't know? It has been discussed on these boards before about the amount of competition in the valley for concerts. There are at least 4 places (US Airways Center, Comerica (formerly Dodge) Theater, Ashley Furniture Pavilion, UOP Stadium (for bigger show/events), plus numerous smaller venues (approx 6,000 capacity) that could be in direct competition for shows, depending on which agency is managing a given tour. While Jobing.com Arena is a nice place to see a show, there are other options out there.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

Not even close to being true. The better concerts go to US Airways arena downtown, or Cricket arena which is an outdoor arena used exclusively for concerts. There are several other venues for concerts as well in the 2,500 - 5,000 seat size. If the Coyotes leave, the Job may not litterally go "dark", but it will struggle to have an event one night a week.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

Not sure if this is on the sarcasm side but the thought that Jobbing can even fill 10 additional nights as a replacement is a joke. US Airways Center, Mesa Amphitheatre, and Ashley Furniture HomeStore Pavilion (formerly Cricket Pavilion) are in direct competition for events/concerts. Even the newly opened Salt River Fields and other Cactus League fields are competitors. If the Coyotes move, yes Glendale and West Gate are in big trouble. A few Cardinals games cannot save that place and I already saw empty stores the last time I cruised by the area. A minor league team in any sport will not work over there because it’s a niche that is not needed with the billion other things to do (even Cammelback Stadium is having trouble selling tickets during the spring so visitors are dwindling). Throw in the fact that if they also lose out on the Fiesta Bowl activities then that place is a ghost town. I drive the 35 miles each way to catch the Coyotes on the weekend but before I lived down in the Phoenix area I remember driving by the construction of Jobbing and thinking how weird it was to put it in a place so far from everything. The Coyotes have a fan base that is willing to fill the seats back in when the team is decent but it’s hard to support a team that might be leaving. The other people that go to Coyotes games are fans of other teams that they supported before they moved here; I have never heard of a fan from a minor league team city so I doubt Glendale would even try to put one in.

Edit: My long winded answer was already pointed out twice before I posted. Atleast I am not the only one who sees why the tought of them filling the stadium is silly.

Last edited:

Dado

I still think my idea of turning it into a MegaChurch is the best one. God is always good business, and you're guaranteed 52 bookings a year.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
The difference being is that this supposedly has NHL approval, if it occurs.

I assume so yes. Okay fine but IF and I Do beleive it will get a big response, the NHL better had commit to Winnipeg, if we get 10,000 + plus people to commit to 3 years of season tickets then there better not be any trying to make it in Glendale.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I assume so yes. Okay fine but IF and I Do beleive it will get a big response, the NHL better had commit to Winnipeg, if we get 10,000 + plus people to commit to 3 years of season tickets then there better not be any trying to make it in Glendale.

Yes indeed...talk about raising one's expectations.

PeaSouper

Jul 28, 2009
London, UK
Bill Daly said:
Certainly, one of the things the board has to have satisfied is that the market is capable of supporting an NHL team at NHL prices.

* Note: This doesn't apply in Phoenix, where supporting an NHL team at ECHL prices will do.

Go Yotes 97

Dec 9, 2008
You obviously don't watch tv or listen to sports talk radio.

Oh yes I do. Considering the situation, this is getting light to minimal coverage at all. Compare it to the Cardinals stadium situation when they had the vote. Night and day. They didn't even discuss any of the events yesterday on the 10 o'clock news, just the game. Truth hurts. This is a backpage story at best.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay a 3 year season ticket commitment, Now do people have to PAY for all 3 years up front? I have no doubt Winnipeg WILL work in the NHL but i would hope that people won;t be expected to commit $25,000 plus on a weeks notice.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
It has been argued whether or not places in Westgate can sustain business if the team leaves. I live near the arena, the times I go to Westgate on non game nights (few and far between) the place is a ghost town. Then there are also the arena/concessions employees that would be out of a job. Perhaps they will keep that staff for the 15-20 events the arena may hold during the year, but they would have to make cuts I would guess.

I guess a few hundred service jobs are worth a few hundred million.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
How can that freep article be for real? They want to keep a team in Phoenix, Atlanta, Sunrise, with small season ticket bases and low ticket prices, yet make Winnipeg sell tickets without a team? That's seems a really strange position for the NHL to take. It doesn't seem like the NHL is in a position to dictate something like that.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Okay a 3 year season ticket commitment, Now do people have to PAY for all 3 years up front? I have no doubt Winnipeg WILL work in the NHL but i would hope that people won;t be expected to commit $25,000 plus on a weeks notice.

That won't happen IMO. It likely will be a request for a deposit of X - including a signed contractual commitment that you'll pay XX annually over the coming 3 seasons.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
That won't happen IMO. It likely will be a request for a deposit of X - including a signed contractual commitment that you'll pay XX annually over the coming 3 seasons.

I would think also too that there will be a waiting list very quickly once all the season tix are sold, which would also say to the BoG-look, even if we had people cancel after 1 year, we've got this x amount on a waiting list.

The BoG wants to see guaranteed money.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Lawless indicated this is not the case on 1290

but there's another thread for Winnipeg discussion :D

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless is backtracking and saying IF Phoenix fails THEN True North will be asked for the ticket drive. Well if that IS the case what do they do with the Coyotes If Winnipeg doesn.t sell what is demannded. I think Lawless is CLUELESS.

Dado

Wait a second -- they asked Daly about this and he DIDN'T no-comment or otherwise obfuscate his response...?

Now that...is news!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How can that freep article be for real? They want to keep a team in Phoenix, Atlanta, Sunrise, with small season ticket bases and low ticket prices, yet make Winnipeg sell tickets without a team? That's seems a really strange position for the NHL to take. It doesn't seem like the NHL is in a position to dictate something like that.

In Glendale, the prospective owners and the NHL are trying to force the municipality to ensure the financial viability of the franchise. And most Phoenix fans are okay with that.

In Winnipeg, the prospective owners and the NHL are looking to the fans to ensure the financial viability of the franchise. And most Winnipeg fans are okay with that.

'Nuff said....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad