Phoenix XXXIII: Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Gary Bettman in a private email dated 04/04/09 (over two years ago) to Bill Daly disclosed during bankruptcy proceedings:

email.jpg

GHOST

“I have tried to be as careful as I could be not to raise expectations in Winnipeg.â€

- Gary Bettman (2011 during the all-star break)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
“I have tried to be as careful as I could be not to raise expectations in Winnipeg.â€

At which point in time Bettman was still confident of completing a sale in Glendale. So your point is? :huh:

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
Goldwater exec: Glendale not cooperative on Coyotes

http://ktar.com/category/local-news...er-exec:-Glendale-not-cooperative-on-Coyotes/

"What we were hoping for was working with Glendale -- in pointing out the unconstitutionality of this deal -- is that they would be willing to go back to the drawing board and try to come up with something that would be legal and, unfortunately, Glendale hasn't shown any interest in that," Olsen said.

"I spoke with the governor and we talked over what's happening in Glendale and I think that she understands, as we understand and as the buyer understands -- in this case, Matt Hulsizer -- that the negotiating here needs to be done between the city of Glendale and the NHL," Olsen said.

Sounds like the GWI is staying on the same path.

I have a crush on Darcy Olsen. I'll admit it

PeaSouper

Jul 28, 2009
London, UK
Name the only city in North America that could be told as late as July 2011 that they are getting an NHL team that MUST be up and running for the next season.

As far as the market is concerned, you could announce in the afternoon that the Hammer is getting an NHL team and they'd sell out Copps by puck drop that evening. Obviously MTS is more NHL-ready than Copps, but newly expanded or relocated teams have had worse (temporary) digs than Copps.

For what it's worth, I'm almost certain that if the Coyotes relocate next season it will be to Winnipeg - on balance, Winnipeg is the best option. But if, for example, the NHL needed to relocate two teams next season in short order (a definite possibility), there are at least a few other places that could be ready to go with hosting a team with a couple months notice or even less.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
going to assume [email protected] is no longer a good email address? oh the fun i could of had

i'm i reading too much into what GB is saying that SO is second on the list for destinations..??

I don't get that at all. Bettman says it's a "league opportunity". I take that to mean that SO is the top of the list for expansion where a big expansion fee can be collected.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

The NHL is/was trying to get a deal done to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. Bettman's statement was in regards to "if the team had to move." Both statements are consistent.

GHOST

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I actually got a response to my question to the GWI about "what if your wrong." The response was, "we're not wrong." That is a level of arrogance you either love or hate.;)

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I am actually pleased to hear Bettman is setting a deadline. Nothing will happen until the deadline, given the past actions of the CoG. Best thing the NHL could do.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I actually got a response to my question to the GWI about "what if your wrong." The response was, "we're not wrong." That is a level of arrogance you either love or hate.;)

The best they could do was a three word response? How rude. Either that or they are extremely busy. :)

BuffaloAZ

Sep 24, 2010
Chandler, AZ

They like to give responses like that. When asked about potential job loss from the arena and surrounding area businesses closing down if the Coyotes were to relocate they replied "Not our problem".

Last edited:

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
They like to give responses like that. When asked about potential job loss from the arena and surrounding area businesses closing down if the Coyotes were to relocate they replied "Not our problem".

I don't live in Arizona, so i'm just wondering what businesses you expect to close down as a result of the Coyotes leaving?

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
If i had to make a guess it's an announcement that TNSE has put an offer forward on the Coyotes.
That's my guess.
we'll see how right i am on this later.

BuffaloAZ

Sep 24, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I don't live in Arizona, so i'm just wondering what businesses you expect to close down as a result of the Coyotes leaving?

It has been argued whether or not places in Westgate can sustain business if the team leaves. I live near the arena, the times I go to Westgate on non game nights (few and far between) the place is a ghost town. Then there are also the arena/concessions employees that would be out of a job. Perhaps they will keep that staff for the 15-20 events the arena may hold during the year, but they would have to make cuts I would guess.

Dado

I think people too often forget that the NHL's first foray into KC was an unmitigated disaster.

I think people too often forget that the NHL already has a storied franchise just up the highway from KC that is for sale and can't fetch $200M.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
If i had to make a guess it's an announcement that TNSE has put an offer forward on the Coyotes.
That's my guess.
we'll see how right i am on this later.

Knowing how Lawless blows things out of proportion I don't think so. I think it will be more of what he wrote in todays paper that his "sources" confirm the NHL will give Glendale & Hulsizer a set deadline next week. And that another 'source" confirms True North is the only option being considered. true North has been so tight lipped I don't think the word of an offer to buy will come from True North but rather from the NHL itself.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
It has been argued whether or not places in Westgate can sustain business if the team leaves. I live near the arena, the times I go to Westgate on non game nights (few and far between) the place is a ghost town. Then there are also the arena/concessions employees that would be out of a job. Perhaps they will keep that staff for the 15-20 events the arena may hold during the year, but they would have to make cuts I would guess.

if Westgate is a ghost town, most of the time, It.s hard to believe most stores could survive even with the Coyotes staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->